Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Oct 23rd - change of plans

One side note...Rage Broadhead???? Had to be...no pass-thru.

Yes. Which was completely abnormal for me.

I've shot Slick Tricks for 5 or 6 years now and I've talked them up a lot with friends and on here. Since day 1 they've flown like field point and grouped like them as well. This past week I decided it was best for me to shoot them before the weekend instead of just assuming they were going to fly good this year like they always have. Luckily I shot them because they weren't flying very good or impacting anywhere near my field points, I'm still unsure why. But I haven't adjusted anything on my bow in years... and I wasn't about to make a quick decision to adjust something 2 days before we would be in the tree. So I dug in the archery tackle box and found a Rage and 2 Jackhammers. I had good arrow flight with those so they were going to be the work horses for the weekend at least...

I nocked the Rage first just because. The shot on the buck was just behind the shoulder and I got great penetration but no exit, I'm assuming it smoked that opposite leg when the deer brought it back to bolt at the shot. The arrow got kicked back out in 0.0001 seconds after impact I swear. It was dangling out almost all the way as the buck ran off... made me super nervous that I hit the near side shoulder square but he was dead in seconds. Broadhead performed flawlessly...

but I'll be figuring out what is up with the bow setup and getting Slicks to shoot good again before next year. I'm guessing I've got some fletching contact going on... but I didn't change a thing since last year... only thing I've done accidentally is turned the nocks a bit.

Last edited:
Congrats Jordan great buck read story on Outreach forum today but had to read it again tonight over here can't wait to see it on video Denny

Great story. Great pics. Great buck! nice job! Congrats!!
and nice job to your brother as well, getting it all on film!

Turns out that this buck at 2.5 was all over the farm, we got a few trail cam pics of him and had two encounters with him in 2009. In 2010 we got a trail cam picture of him in September in the exact same spot as the year before... but I accidentally deleted the picture but we thought it was no big deal because we'd get more... we were wrong, we never saw him again in 2010. We ended up completely forgetting about the buck.
Well this year we have a "mystery buck", the one we shot, show up in September and throws us for a loop on his age and what buck it is. So not sure on his age or what deer it is we decide he looks nice... so we shoot first and ask questions later on how old he was. :D ... turns out he was very likely that same buck we'd been following the last two years, we just forgot about him. That'd put him at 4.5 this year.
Here he is in '09 as a 2.5
25-122009.jpg

Top Bottom