Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

October Hunting Tactics?

I may be weird...but when hunting a particular buck, I would rather hunt October than November. The rut is highly frustrating when you are trying to kill a particular buck. A hot food source in Early October is absolutely deadly. I use cameras heavily to help me pattern a buck. Everybody loves the rut because you see lots of bucks, but I honestly hate it at times. Give me a massive cold front on October 4th any day. Looking now at the bucks I have taken with a bow, 75% I have taken in October.

I may be weird...but when hunting a particular buck, I would rather hunt October than November. The rut is highly frustrating when you are trying to kill a particular buck. A hot food source in Early October is absolutely deadly. I use cameras heavily to help me pattern a buck. Everybody loves the rut because you see lots of bucks, but I honestly hate it at times. Give me a massive cold front on October 4th any day. Looking now at the bucks I have taken with a bow, 75% I have taken in October.

If I patterned specific deer, I would follow right along with your mentality on this. Get them pre-rut, while they're still paternable. If I had a 200 class patterned, I'd hunt October HARDCORE. The last week of October has been great for me these past two seasons. The seek phase of the pre-rut / rut.

This has been a very kind October so far as far as hunting quality. We are consistently below average temperatures... sometimes by a LOT. (22 degrees today for example). Deer have really been moving. Take advantage when you can!

I had a great encounter on Thursday October 11. I pulled a bunch of cards from multiple farms yesterday. Many of the cameras had mature deer on their feet that day. So far, BY FAR, the best day of the year was 10-11.

Top Bottom