Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

open sights or scope?

KnuckleDragr

I think this was discussed not too long ago but oh well here goes. What do all you shotgun hunters prefer? I seem to be doing more and more gun hunting lately and want to get a rifled barrel for my 835 ulti- mag. I'm leaning towards a red dot of some type, but I'm usually one of the guys conducting drives. I worry that the scope will get debris on the lenses, scratches, or collect a lot of moisture from either condensation or snow or whatever. Given the amount of abuse that it will receive, I don't want to spend a whole lot on it. Maybe I should just get the barrel with rifle sights?

My next question is has anyone mounted a scope to a shotgun that has rifle sights? The top of my gun is tapped for it but I don't know if the rifle sights would obscure the view through the scope? I would rather do this and add a scope later if I wish. What's everyone's thoughts?

For deer drives, cantilever barrel with a 1
-4 power scope from any major manufacturers.
Don't worry about getting debris or scratching the lenses. I've hunted every weather shotgun season can produce and I've never had to swap out for my open sighted gun.
When I first tried an optic it was a red dot, I personally didn't care for it. It didn't even stay on for the whole season. To each his own but I believe a scope is the way to go. 1-4 or 2-7 power

I had a rifle sight slug barrel and spent more time trying to line up the sights than shooting the dang thing. I was better with my bird barrel since I knew where it pointed from wing shooting.

I'd go scope over open sight every day of the week.

I am a scope guy myself. I have never had an issue doing drives with them or stand hunting. I also never had an issue with debris, fog, condensation etc. I also never liked red dots. No magnification really and do not like relying on batteries. I have killed a pile of deer with beads / rifle sights when I was younger but cannot see myself ever going back.

I put a 4x Leopould on my 1100 slug barrel (with rifle sights) back in 1978.
Never a problem with scope or gun, only the operator.

Although I prefer to and do more stand gun hunting rather than drives, the scope has never been a problem. I think it helped me to be more picky when going to a cantilevered rem 1100 shooting sabots. Just knowing that "there goes $3"

Sent from my iPhone using IW

Nikon and redfield 3-9x40 are what I use on my slug guns and muzzleloader and I love them! Do yourself a favor and always have an open sight gun for if the weather gets nasty or thick brush. But definitely got one set up with a scope. Red dots are nice and have thier perks, but batteries and accuracy past 50 yds aren't one of them...

I have a couple Aimpoint 9000sc 2x scopes on slug guns that are extremely accurate as far out as the gun/bullet combo will allow. Plus the battery life is 10,000 hours. Might we worth while looking into.

I'm leaning towards a scope. But the kind of thorns and nasties that I push through won't produce a shot beyond 50 yards for me anyways. But in the future I will probably find myself stand hunting with it. Maybe I'll scrap the red dot idea and get a regular scope.

If you choose to go with a scope, make sure to get flip up scope caps for it. I choose clear center caps instead of solid one piece caps, but I do glue the clear plastic in place because I have had them fall out I. Not glued.

Have a 835 also w/scope. Just get a smaller objective lens or a higher set of rings if you are worried about sights. You can also get rings you can see under and use your sights. Never used them but don't think I would like them. I have the saddle mount style on mine and there is no problems with 3x9x40.

Top Bottom