Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Operation Deer Nest

I got my order into MDC for my seedlings to plant next spring. I have decided to make an attempt at building a deer nest. i'm going to start by planting around the perimeter of the timber to get a defined edge in and then start filling in strips from there. Im going to start with 500 this spring and add more each year.
cedar seedling order.PNG

I've planted 1,000's and I think they grow backwards but they are alive I have 5 year seedlings that are probably almost 3 ft tall.. :)

IMO, Eastern Red Cedars are a great tree to work with. I planted between 500 & 900, (can't recall exact count), 2 springs ago and I've had a really good survival rate with them. They aren't growing very fast, but they aren't all dead either. In a few years, they should be tall enough to poke out above the weeds and hopefully take off after they get the full sun they're missing currently.

I planted a mixture of over 2k food producing trees over a couple of earlier springs that were directly followed by hot DRY summers. I didn't do any mowing or watering or mulching, just planted them in the wet spring soil, and left them to God. Same thing I did with the ERC's. I determined that God didn't want those particular trees where I planted them... :D

Top Bottom