Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

opinons on outfitters in Iowa

N

Novemberhunt

Was wondering what your guys thoughts were on Iowas NR tag numbers and with all the outfitters popping up and especially the ones that live in another state that lease ground in the state for their business just curious?

I thought it was quite funny when I was approached by an outfitter last year who was trying to sell hunts. I live and hunt in NE Iowa, the outfitter was trying to sell a hunt on a property that neighbors the land that I hunt. For 18 years I have deer hunted in Iowa and for lack of better words, get angry when out of state outfitters come in to make money off of our natural resources. It has taken many years to get the quality of hunting that we have and now others are capitalizing. I thank God and the landowners where I hunt everyday for giving me this opportunity. And better yet in 18 years have not had to offer any money to do something that I love. I have formed strong relationships with landownders through hardwork, trust and honesty. I could go on and on with my thoughts, but I know it would be to the offense of others. Shoot straight >>>-------->

I few years ago I purchased some timber to hunt because my sources all dried up. The man who owns the ground next to me started an outfitter business. He also made a deal with local farmers for hunting rights. It really would not bother me, but this man does not want you to step one inch on his property(which those are his rights) but we have had his hunters on our property numerous time. They just say "Oh, I thought this was his property. He also told us their were to many does around and recommended everyone shoots does only for a couple of years. Later on the same day he told me his customers will pay $500.00 extra if they shoot a buck. Am I the only one who thinks something stinks with people who do this. I guess it is like everything else in this world, forget about the good time and the other people who enjoy your sport, lets just figure how much someone will pay you so they can enjoy it too.

those were some great thoughts I myself own ground for the same reason. What a lot of the farmers do not realise when they lease their land to outfitting buisness is that these people that pay good money for a hunt are not going to harvest does unlike a lot of the locals probably did,in turn puts the herd out of balance. I was shocked when I went to the deer classic two years ago to see the number of outfitter boothes.

[This message has been edited by Novemberhunt (edited 12-30-2000).]

One farm we bow hunt is two hrs from home,and only gets hunted on weekends if we can make it.The local know this and jump on it during the week or when were not there.A 190 class buck was spotted on the farm this fall and news spread like wildfire,everybody in the county was jumping on the land.One morning my buddy was going to his stand and somebody was in it. This guy was from out of state and said he had paid good money to hunt here and was not leaving and would not tell us who had put him in the stand.We told him to finish his hunt that morning and not come back in kind words & * $ % !Big bucks and money make people do crazy things!

Fatboy,
You guys were very generous to let someone get away with something like that. If the trespasser would not give the so called outfitter's name, I'd have rung him up for sure. Probably would have done it even without that. One problem a buddy of mine from IL mentioned was vandalism by locals. He let some trespassers slide due to the risk of revenge.

Forgot, my view on NR tag numbers is I'd like to see them lowered or at least maintained. I'd rather have a quality Iowa hunt every other year or less, that see outfitters ravage the state even worse. I am a nonresident.

[This message has been edited by Zim (edited 01-03-2001).]

Iowa Outfitters supply a service to those who are less fortunate to have the incredible deer hunting that much of Iowa has. I guide a few people each year to defray the cost of my leases so that I too can have incredible hunts. The ground I lease is managed for quality deer - not quantity. My neighboring landowners were skeptical when I started the program. They now love me. 3 bordering landowners have harvested the biggest bucks they have EVER harvested - all since I started the QDM program.

I never place any stands within shooting distance of a neighboring property. I wish I could say the same of all of my neighboring landowners. In fact, one asked if I would mind if he shot across my fence. Even though I believe that shooting across the fence is unethical, I replied, "As long as you are shooting at a mature doe or a buck over 125 inches, I don't mind."

I also battle trespassers every year - all locals, all residents - bowhunters and gunhunters alike. I have yet to call the sherriff, but the time is near. I despise anyone who does not respect private property and the rights that go with it.

I charge $500 EXTRA for any client who shoots a buck UNDER 125 inches and I have a pile of locals who love to harvest does for our management plan. No extra charge for bucks over 125". I believe we now have the best, most well managed local deer herd in the great state of Iowa.

I find it ironic that those who claim to 'love to hunt' get upset because others are willing to pay for an opportunity that the self-proclaimed 'love to hunt' people are taking for granted and getting for free. Who really loves to hunt more? I believe it is those who are willing to make the greatest sacrifices.

May everyone have a lifetime of great hunting experiences.

DC,
There you go getting all wrong again, your veiw at hunting is rather warpped if you ask me, maybe it is the extra $500 fine you impose on someone, if they shoot what they consider to be a trophy, but does not meet your standard.

I "love to hunt" and I sure as hell do not take it for granted, I am very grateful to a every landowner that has ever given me permission to hunt on there land, I have also been very gracious to those who have denided me access for what ever reason. And as for getting it for free, I have worked my a-- off in order to get access to the land on which I hunt, I have established relationships with the landowners and have respected them and their property, and I am sure that I am not alone.

Also, how could you compare the the scarfices that I (someone who loves to hunt) have made in scouting land, establishing relatioships with the landowners, and all the countless of hours spent in the woods, to someone paying you $1500 so they could have the convenience of you doing it all for them. "Who truely loves to hunt more".

Let's not shoot ourselves in the foot over this topic guy's! We all love the sport, and just who loves it more isn't the point. There are good outfitters and bad, just like any other occupation. I have great relations with landowners who allow me to hunt their property, and I get just as much a thrill out of a guided hunt. DC has a good operation and has done alot for his area's deer herd, as for the $500 fine for shooting a less than 125 buck, so be it, those are his rules and the hunters know it when they book. Pay to hunt or not?, we have other topics from the antis to worry about more.

Zim,you are correct about the revenge factor and i am sure that is the thoughts fo the farmer who owns the land being he is elderly.We have confronted some of the locals and they tresspass anyway.We cant leave stands because they will be stolen,but evey year there is three to four new home made stands on the land and were only hunting three 80 to 100 acre lots but the neighbors dont allow locals on there land.Its not worth being to hrs.from home and find your tires slashed! Must tell you about the bucks in our area.Not to mention the ones found with heads cut off and shot with rifles.

Well I would have to agree with "lope" the trophy is in the eye of the beholder. Also I spend alot of time trying to get a good hunt each year. I think there are good outfitters out there and I know for a fact there are bad ones. My neighbor is an outfitter supposed to have 9000 acres to hunt acording to his ad. But yet I have to run his out of state hunters off my measly 48 acres. I just don't get it? Still I continue to stop and talk to farmers to try to get permission to hunt other areas. I like the idea of forming a relationship, also I can't afford to write them a check.

Top Bottom