Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Out of state over the counter hunting options?

meyeri

PMA Member
Every year I have 2 weeks set aside to chase whitetails during the rut in the Halloween to 16th of November time frame. I have always thought about coming up with a backup, over the counter, out of state hunt in case I tag out in early October or the first couple of days of vacation.

What are some good options for over the counter hunts? I wouldn't care if it was whitetail, pronghorn, mule deer and bow or rifle doesn't matter. I researched Missouri and have that in my back pocket, but wondered if there were any other viable options for last minute hunts?

Every year I have 2 weeks set aside to chase whitetails during the rut in the Halloween to 16th of November time frame. I have always thought about coming up with a backup, over the counter, out of state hunt in case I tag out in early October or the first couple of days of vacation.

What are some good options for over the counter hunts? I wouldn't care if it was whitetail, pronghorn, mule deer and bow or rifle doesn't matter. I researched Missouri and have that in my back pocket, but wondered if there were any other viable options for last minute hunts?

Other than Iowa and Kansas, almost every state is over the counter for Whitetail. Ohio, Illinois, Kentucky, Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Indiana, etc.

Meat eater did a bit on this a couple years ago for western options. Here you go: http://www.themeateater.com/2017/big-game-the-over-the-counter-option/

3rd season rifle elk in Colorado would match up nicely with that time frame. There are lots of over the counter options or leftover tags in the west but for a true over the counter tag November is pretty late in the season so your options are a little more limited.

I've hunted both Ohio and Nebraska. Going to Ohio again this year for gun season. A lot of public ground in Ohio. If you go far enough west in Nebraska you can hunt Whietails and Mullies.

South Dakota is OTC archery and a very good state (sleeper) if you hunt in say Gregory County, lots of public land along the Missouri and you can at times get on private for bow.

Whitetail and Muley

If you want a totally "different" experience, go to SE Ohio. The timber there makes the roughest stuff in Iowa seem tame. It's nothing like what we hunt here. It's BIG timber and tons of it. I bet some of those deer have never seen an ag field in their life.

North Dakota otc archery. We have only ever hunted there during early season, September, but have heard other parts of the season are very productive as well

Top Bottom