Ozone Clothing Compatability

Discussion in 'Iowa Whitetail Conference' started by lv2hntnfsh, Nov 15, 2018.

1. lv2hntnfsh

lv2hntnfsh New Member

Hi Folks!

I am a sleeper here, long time reader but I do not post much.

I was thinking this might help others select clothing in the future based on if they use the ozone technology in their field rituals.

I have the scent crusher system for the last two seasons and have found the following on clothing compatibility:

• Badlands backpacks- elastic broke down.
    • Cabelas zonz boots- completely broke down, like falling apart.
    • Core4 clothing- so far so good
    • Under armour base layers- so far so good
    • Scentlok- some have been fine some have failed. Mainly the baselayers which have had the elastic go out on them.

I am interested to hear what everyone else's experiences have been. This is important if a person uses the technology and is going to buy new gear!

~Chris

2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. mplane72

mplane72 Active Member

Yep. Well documented fact that ozone will breakdown rubber and elastic.

4. Tmayer13

Tmayer13 PMA Member

I also use scent crusher and have zero issues. Currently what goes in mine is:
    Sitka Stratus Jacket and Pants
    Sitka Shacket
    Sitka Core heavy weight top and bottom
    Sitka Fanatic hoody
    Sitka Fanatic Jacket
    Sitka Fanatic Bibs(I do not put my suspenders in the bag while i run a cycle) and do know they new bib suspenders are ok to use with ozone
    Sitka Tool bucket
    Muddy Harness(I do not have the new style "tether" strap

ALL my elastic on these items are in perfect shape. Like I said ZERO issues. I have also run short cycles with my lacrosse alpha burly with no issues.

5. arm

arm Leg

boneman likes this.
  6. JNRBRONC

JNRBRONC Moderator

Things that stand out to me in that chart:
    Metals don't seem to fair well (brass, bronze, cast iron, copper, galvanized steel, etc). Makes me wonder what ozone level they are testing with.
    Looks like it's hard on plastics (ABS plastic is field tile, Delrin and Perspex are plastics).
    It doesn't play well with "rubber", which is already known (Buna-N is used in some o-rings, as is EPDM, neoprene, polypropylene, natural rubber, nylon). So stretchy/waterproof/insulating things are likely damaged.

7. MN Slick

MN Slick PMA Member

How often did you run the stuff that failed through it?

8. msauer933

msauer933 Active Member

I have a pair of sitka suspenders that are breaking down quick.

9. Tmayer13

Tmayer13 PMA Member

i had read somewhere that sitka has addressed this issue and the new things have different suspenders that are ok to use with ozone

10. msauer933

msauer933 Active Member

Good to know...thanks

lv2hntnfsh likes this.
  11. lv2hntnfsh

lv2hntnfsh New Member

I usually run my stuff 5-15 minutes before every hunt depending on how “sweated up” I was the previous hunt. I had 4 sits up until October 20th, close to quadrupled it since. The boots have only been in a couple of times and same with my pack. My clothes I am regular with.

To the comment about known materials... not all materials are equal. Some rubbers/elastics are much better at holding up. I 100% agree that it depends on ozone strength in these generators but some material compositions last longer than others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. hotshott2289

hotshott2289 Active Member

or.. you could just not use one.. its just anything industry gimmick.. the human body never stops producing odors the only thing that matters is the wind and thermals..these things will be like scent lok in another couple of years

13. MN Hunter

MN Hunter Active Member

I just emailed Sitka on this topic. They said the only thing that will break down is the suspenders.

14. Tmayer13

Tmayer13 PMA Member

That's a spectacular opinion but the point of ozone is to remove odor on whatever it washes....so yes you are correct that the human body continually produces scent but you can't control that....so the fact that you say something is a gimmick that actually scientifically works, is wrong. There is no doubt that ozone works the way it does, hell NASA uses it for the same reason....so the OP was giving some helpful info on ozone and it's affects on some of his products...I don't believe he asked you to high jack the thread and five your opinion

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

arm likes this.
  15. hotshott2289

hotshott2289 Active Member

Thanks bud! I agree ozone works in a lot of applications, but I'm saying its a gimmick for the deer woods, which in fact it is. because you're going to have those clothes stunk right back up after the walk into the stand. But hey to each his own just make sure you get that scent crusher bag in the pic with your buck or it doesn't count :)

Non-typ. likes this.
  16. Keith stone

Keith stone New Member

You can beat em out in the woods with an ozone generator. I've been using ozonics for 6 years now. You need a steady wind and you got to place the generator in the right spot. In my experience ozone will regenerate carbon. This guy on saddle hunter alleges ozone will regenerate carbon but too much can also break down carbon.

https://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/ozone-and-scentlok.1603/

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk