Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Party Hunting

DWilk, safety is another reason I don't think party hunting should be allowed, I also apologize for name calling, it was bush league.

Last edited:
IowaChiro, I try to ask a good question and you drag it down. That is BS, would you answer the or stop posting on my typic.

To answer your question...if you have a doe tag, you can still shoot a buck if someone in your party still has an unfilled buck tag, you just use their tag on that deer. It's basically a pooling of tags.

I bow hunt and party hunt with 3 guys. I call both ways hunting. But then I don't call chiropractors real doctors... just quacks and insurance scam artists.

GotRack

I don't really consider 3 other guys party hunting...maybe its semantics, but what i was referring to was groups of guys, in my area not uncommon to see double digits, pushings sections, often leaving deer that were too small for them to tag, you know what I'm talking about...btw, check out some of the research Wellmark did on chiropractic and the $ it saves them and patients when it comes to musculoskeletal condtions, then get back to me.

Yes you can shoot a buck with a doe tag in your pocket, as long as a party member has a valid any sex tag.. I usually always get an anysex tag for bow and one for gun 1, but this year and every other year for that matter, we have drill during opening weekend for the guard, so, instead of buying a buck tag for very little hunting during gun 1, I bought two doe tags for gun 1 and a buck tag for late muzz. For a lot of people, the only chance they really get to hunt is late season, such as shotgun hunting.. Farmers for example.. The majority of them don't have time to bowhunt or sit long hours in the stand with a gun either.. What better way to relax and have fun and maybe take a few of their hard working farm-hands out after a grueling harvest then to chase some deer, shoot the bull in the hunting shack and top it off with a few beers in the evening.. and put meat in the freezer. It's also a great way to spend time with the family.. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I am not totally against "party hunting".If it meant you could shoot a buck if you only have a doe tag.But I do think you should be done shooting or carrying a gun if your tag has been filled.And I also think if your tag is put on a doe,you should only be able to transport your tagged deer.How can the DNR police anything if they stop a truck with a couple big bucks in it and the tags don't match the people transporting the deer.
Here is another example.I am a farmer..I buy a state wide any sex shotgun tag and have an any-sex landowner shotgun tag.I sell those tags to a couple people from Florida or some other state for $2000 each.They come here and shoot 2 monster bucks and 2 does on my land and take them back home.They take home 4 deer and only had to buy 2 antlerless tags. How can that be considered right?Its legal as long as party hunting is legal.
Don't be nieve here,the only reason party hunting is legal is because it sells a lot more tags and in the end the DNR just wants the money and the deer shot.

Personally I see no problem with party hunting or sitting is a stand by your self. That is what is great about the Iowa deer season. I am not able to get out and hunt much with my father so the first shotgun season is a way for us to do that. I go with a group of guys who I have been close friends with for the better part of 20 years. We relax we stand hunt we do a little pushing and just have fun. That is what I think hunting should be about. Personally I do not think it is right to pass judgement on how others like to hunt. It is your tag and your season and you should spend it how you like. This is straight out of this years regulations. Hunters in the Youth/Disabled Hunter, Bow, Early Muzzleloader, and Late Muzzleloader season must shoot their own deer and tag only the deer they shoot. Hunters in both shotgun seasons and the November and January Anterless-only seasons may shoot deer for each other, provided that all tagging requirements are followed, and the deer will be considered in the possession of the hunter whose tag is affixed to it. A hunter may not carry a deer license or transportation tag issued to another hunter while deer hunting (page 22.)

Personally I see no problem with party hunting or sitting is a stand by your self. That is what is great about the Iowa deer season. I am not able to get out and hunt much with my father so the first shotgun season is a way for us to do that. I go with a group of guys who I have been close friends with for the better part of 20 years. We relax we stand hunt we do a little pushing and just have fun. That is what I think hunting should be about. Personally I do not think it is right to pass judgement on how others like to hunt. It is your tag and your season and you should spend it how you like. This is straight out of this years regulations. Hunters in the Youth/Disabled Hunter, Bow, Early Muzzleloader, and Late Muzzleloader season must shoot their own deer and tag only the deer they shoot. Hunters in both shotgun seasons and the November and January Anterless-only seasons may shoot deer for each other, provided that all tagging requirements are followed, and the deer will be considered in the possession of the hunter whose tag is affixed to it. A hunter may not carry a deer license or transportation tag issued to another hunter while deer hunting (page 22.)

Well said! I like that you pointed out that it is illegal to possess another persons tag. If someone were to come from another state and buy tags from a landowner and use them they are not party hunting unless that landowner is with them. If he is not and they have his tag, it is illegal and people like that should not be put in the same group as other legal party hunters.

Well said! I like that you pointed out that it is illegal to possess another persons tag. If someone were to come from another state and buy tags from a landowner and use them they are not party hunting unless that landowner is with them. If he is not and they have his tag, it is illegal and people like that should not be put in the same group as other legal party hunters.

that is what i meant earlier when i said shooting a deer you dont have a tag for is poaching. if you are a nr and only have doe tags and you have someone elses anysex tag on your person and you shoot a buck you are breakin the law, you shot it illegally, you poached it!

You don't have to have someone else's tag "on your person",you can hunt in shot gun season without a tag in your pocket PERIOD as long as someone else you are hunting with has a tag.And you can also transport a deer out out of state that is tagged with someone else's tag.In my opinion I think that should be illegal.But it never will be because then the ones that don't draw a tag won't spend the money on a doe tag to come here.Its all about money.If the state didn't make millions off party hunting they wouldn't allow it.

There are definately some valid points from both sides as well as negatives to both.

There are 2 issues that I have.
#1 - A non-resident can apply for an any sex tag for the gun season's only. If he/she is not successful, they can then purchase an anterless only tag. However, they can still "party" hunt with someone that has an any sex tag. This is where the problem arrises. They find people (locals) that don't hun and have them purchase an any sex tag. The non-resident shoots a buck and tags it with this other person's tag. OR they now have a license which allows them to hunt legally during the specific season. They shoot a buck, load it up and head for the State line. Legally they could be in the woods, but their only intention was to shoot a buck.This is violating, no question about it! This is exactly why the State has eliminated anterless only licenses to non-resident archery hunters.

#2 - Ethics! When I see groups of 20+ hunters (and as many as 50+) in one group with every angle covered, vehicles staggered along the roads to block the deer, walking on county roads firing into the woods at deer leaving piles of casings on the road, chasing deer with pickups, and considering every piece of ground accessable to them because they are who they are, this is wrong! The worst part is that of these 20-50 hunters their are young kids being taught that this is how we hunt.

Please understand not all non-resident hunters fall under catagory #1 nor does every party fall into catagory #2. As usual it's a few bad eggs that ruin it for everyone.

[SIGH]

Guys, the rules are what they are, this is like griping about the weather.... there is nothing you can do about it. Party hunting has its place in Iowa's herd managment and is full of rich tradition for many groups across the state. Be glad you can do your thing, let others do their thing.

the end

Well said THA4. Why is everyone judging everyone else. If you don't like something don't do it and keep your opinions to yourself. There is no reason to try to ruin other peoples weekend by running your mouths. Do you really think that we need more laws so that deer hunting looks the way that you want it too? That is funny!!!!

[SIGH]

Guys, the rules are what they are, this is like griping about the weather.... there is nothing you can do about it.

Not true!!! Instead of complaining on an internet forum you can contact your legislators and DNR representatives.

Good luck with that!:grin:

Not true!!! Instead of complaining on an internet forum you can contact your legislators and DNR representatives.

HUGE 10-4 to that. Whether it be about this topic or others related to hunting in our State. I'm downright confident it's this action that has staved off some of the special interest groups attempting to tap our wildlife resources in the recent past.

You don't have to have someone else's tag "on your person",you can hunt in shot gun season without a tag in your pocket PERIOD as long as someone else you are hunting with has a tag.And you can also transport a deer out out of state that is tagged with someone else's tag.In my opinion I think that should be illegal.But it never will be because then the ones that don't draw a tag won't spend the money on a doe tag to come here.Its all about money.If the state didn't make millions off party hunting they wouldn't allow it.

Not true. In order to hunt shotgun season you must have a tag for that season. If you use your tag on a deer, you still have your reciept of the season and tag, and can legally hunt with someone else who still has an unfilled tag. You may not participate in any form of the hunt with out a valid tag for that season.

OK let me clarify hawkeyebucker.If I know that.I meant if your tag is filled you can still hunt and shoot more deer.If you whole groups tags are filled you can also find another group to hunt with and shoot their deer too.

Top Bottom