Pastrami (Deer)

Discussion in 'Food Corner' started by Ishi, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Ishi

Ishi PMA Member

Pastrami is easy to make just like the Dried Deer. I like Pastrami but a few pounds a year is enough but still fun to make for a variety.

1 TBS of Tender Quick per lb of meat
    3/4-1 TBS Brown Sugar per lb of meat.
    Put the meat in a ziplock bag then apply TC then the Brown Sugar. Now mix up the spices

1 TBS black pepper
    1 TBS onion powder
    1 Tsp garlic powder
    1 Tsp Paprika
    1 Tsp allspice
    [​IMG]
    Mix up and put spice mixture on the roast. This makes a large amount for several pounds of Pastrami so just a nice layer will do.

Rub
    Black pepper
    Coriander
    Garlic powder

After applying the cure, sugar and spices let the deer meat cure for 7-9 days under refrigeration. For dry curing I want the roasts no more than 3 inches thick. Flip daily and rinse well under faucet after cure time. Dry meat and sprinkle the rub ingredients over the meat and let it rest in fridge over night.

[​IMG]

Smoke till the meat reaches 150 -155 degrees. Then pull the meat and wrap in foil with a couple TBS of beef broth and seal up the tinfoil.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Place the roast back on the smoker and steam the Pastrami for another 1/2 hour.
    Finished product

[​IMG]

Sliced all up

[​IMG]

Toasted Ruben Sammie with kraut.

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking and enjoy the process and finished results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk