Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

PETA! Get a load of this, Carges against a DNR offical in WI

OLETOM

I thought that I'd share this article with everyone, and urge you to write officials
from Dane County, WI and the DNR to express your dissatisfaction. We cannot let radicals like PETA and the Humane Society play games such as this. The impacts to this man's career are stunning to say the least.

This this is way too much!! Please read on......

Here is Lee Kernen's column for 3/15/2002 (Outdoor News)

Why I’m ashamed to live in Dane County although we live far from “La-La†land in
California and the citified reaches of the east coast, animal rights zealots have truck right here in Dane County. An emotional Humane Society officer and an apparently
clueless Dane County district attorney have combined to issue a criminal complaint against DNR fish hatchery supervisor John Komassa for doing his job and killing a feral cat. He has been charged with mistreatment of animals in Dane County Circuit Court. Let me share with you the facts of this incident and see what you think. John is the 37-year-old supervisor of the Nevin Fish Hatchery, located south
of Madison. On Nov. 17, 2001, he was checking on 350,000 wild brook and brown trout eggs that were incubating in batteries in the fish-rearing area of the hatchery building when he saw a cat. It had no collar and he tried to “shoo†(not shoot) the animal out the double door he had opened. After trying for five minutes, he lost sight of the cat and thought it had left.
He looked again the following day because he was worried the cat might accidentally run over an electric cord and cut power to the equipment, or even knock the batteries over, thereby jeopardizing the trout eggs which
were collected at great effort and expense. But he didn’t see the cat or any evidence that it was still in the building. But the third day, Nov. 19, John got to the hatchery at 5:30 a.m. and saw pools of urine and some feces, a tipped over garbage can and a bag of trout pellet food that had been torn open. Some food had been eaten. He searched
again and eventually flushed the cat and tried to chase it out an open door again, but it wouldn’t leave the building. He had it in a dip net momentarily, but it escaped and ran into the furnace boiler room, where
John closed the door behind it. He then donned a pair of heavy leather gloves
and attempted to grab the cat and put it outside. As he got it by the scruff
of the neck in his right hand, the cat twisted and bit him on his left
hand. He dropped it to examine his wound. Just as he feared, he was bleeding and
now was worried the animal was rabid.
John knew that a rabies test requires a brain sample from the dead animal.
Fearful the animal might escape, he picked up a short piece of square,hollow,aluminum “tubing†and struck the cat a few times until it was still.
He did not beat the cat, but tried to kill it as quickly as possible. He then called the animal control office to get the animal tested for rabies, and a Fitchburg police officer came and got it. Meanwhile, he went to the urgent care clinic and had his bite wound disinfected and he was given a
10-day supply of antibiotic to take home. He cleaned up the hatchery immediately and the next day was visited by Humane Society officer Cheri Carr, who came to write up the incident. Little did he know that she
would become his accuser. Two days later John received word the cat was not rabid. He went on with his life of rearing fish for the anglers of Wisconsin. But, on Dec. 20,
2001, John received a summons at his house from a Dane County Sheriff’s Department
deputy. It charged John with the crime of mistreatment of animals. This is a
Class A misdemeanor, with a fine of up to $10,000 and up to nine months in jail.
Because this is a criminal charge, John can’t even get any help from the DNR
or Department of Justice attorneys. He had to hire his own attorney and is already out $3,500. What kind of man is John Komassa? He has always loved animals and he used to
work with the large cats — tigers, etc. — in the Milwaukee zoo before he came to work for DNR. John and his wife have a pet cat in their home. They got it from a Verona veterinary clinic because it was homeless — just a month before the incident at the hatchery with the feral cat. Meanwhile, across the nation, animal rights zealots and PETA members who don’t know the whole story are calling for John to be fired. Over 150
letters and 50 e-mails from around the world have gone to the DNR’s South-Central
region headquarters. The e-mails claim that John used an aluminum baseball
bat to do the cat in, implying he is some sort of monster — all of which is
complete fabrication. No one has written in on John’s behalf. Are these messages from California and other distant states the cause of the unwillingness of Dane County to just drop the case and get on with more
important activities? John isn’t sleeping well these days. If the case goes to trial and he loses, he also will have a huge legal fee. Still, he’s innocent and doesn’t want to admit to something he did while doing his job, protecting our fish. If John Komassa gets tagged with a conviction on this case, it will have far-reaching implications on all DNR hatcheries and the Poynette Game
Farm. Employees will be afraid to protect our investments. I truly hope this
ends on a high note for John, but if it doesn’t, I’m going to start a fund to
pay for his legal fees and I hope many of you readers will pitch in. Meanwhile, Dane County is overrun with an estimated 80,000 feral cats. A California “pet rescue†foundation has given money to have Dane County vets spay and neuter these wild cats. The goal is to do 1,000 of them in the
first year, and then they will be released back into the wild! To kill another several thousand song birds and small mammals! Now do you see why I’m ashamed?

Lee Kernen of Madison is the state’s former fisheries director.

I know it isn't in your neck of the woods but this hits pretty close to home I would think for all of us out there. When PETA does somethign like this, where will they go next.

I am posting a link for a petition to the DA to have the charges dropped and a couple links if yuo would like to email your support or discontent with the DA.

How about this: http://www.co.dane.wi.us/ http://www.co.dane.wi.us/daoffice/dahome.htm

DA's email:
blanchard@co.dane.wi.us

THIS GUY NEEDS OUR HELP!

Here is the email I just sent to the DA office, perhaps if enough sportsmen and women let them know the charges will be dropped

----------------------------------------
I just read via a message board pertaining to Iowa deer hunting about this case. This board is frequented by thousands of Iowa deer hunters. The URL for the post is http://www.iowawhitetail.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000935.htmlTrue, the story presented on the page may not contain all of the facts pertaining to the case, but what it does state is disturbing. I will join with the thousands of other sportsmen and women that request the charges against John Komassa be dropped. The grounds for the request is that from the story posted Mr. Komassa was clearly acting in the best interest of the State by protecting the property and equipment. Also, after being bitten by the stray cat, the only recourse to ensure that he had not been infected with rabies would be to have the cat destroyed to test it for disease.

It is unfortunate that a lobby group (PETA) was able to influence your office to file charges when the end result would have been the destruction of the cat. Whether or not Mr. Komassa acted wrongfully in the manor the cat was killed or not would have had no reflection on the outcome.

Thank you for your time.

Jamie Butenhoff
Ames, IA

--------------------------------------

Feel free to copy mine or create your own, just let our voices be heard!

Jamie

yep that's great to here. i would have hated to see anything happen to a guy for doing something he should have done in the first place.

Top Bottom