Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Phase of the Season

risto2351

I was just wondering what your guys thoughts are for what phase

of the season are we in?

Are the hens sitting on their nests all day yet?

Better to hunt right off the roost and then later in the day because hens
are still with the toms?

Hearing much gobbling after fly down?

Thanks for the posts and Good Luck to all still holding tags.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Here in Monona county most hens have been setting awhile. Yesterday I mowed a nest and the eggs were just days away from hatching.
icon9.gif
She was walking around the pasture this morning with every gobbler around following her. Very little gobbleing after fly down, but alot of strutting. They seem to be covering alot of ground now, when its not hot and windy, looking for hens that are starting over, due to predators and stupid people mowing. I am just trying to get it done, before the fawns hit the ground.

My folks have a hen nesting in the draw behind their house. I think most hens have been bred by now and have nests, unless they've been destroyed and need to mate again. My dad has been out a few times this 4th season and he said they're gobbling really good in the morning and right before they fly up to roost.

Around me, they haven't been gobbling in the morning on the roost hardly at all, but they are actually gobbling more once they hit the ground.. it's weird

Got mine Thurs the 10th..Coyote barked at the moon at about 5:35 and the gobblers went crazy. Had 4 different toms gobbling off the roost. After Fly down, had 1 in the field 200 yards to my left gobbling his head off. 1 in front of me working the ridge back and forth. Then 1 hen came out, then 2 together, then 1 behind me, then 2 of them to the right, one wtih 9 inch skinny rope, then, he popped out and came fanned out the whole way, about 110 yards into decoys..i had one cabelas full strut and 1 hen facing him..he walked around hen and behind tom, turned and I let him have it at 25 yards..just out of range for my trail cam video this time, darn it..oh well, it was a beautiful morning, and i waited 2 minutes before to go get him, and when i did, tom to my left was still out there with 2 hens! Before i got home, saw 17 toms and lots of hens. one scenario, 1 tom with two hens, another group 4 toms all by themselves fanned out on a damn by a pond. and of course lots of hens by themselves. I say get set up in morning and be patient! It was 6:30 am when I got mine. Good Luck

Here in NC the birds are nesting all day. I just got back from a hunt and called in a tom very easily... not a hen in the whole area. He stayed on the roost a long time after daylight waiting for a hen and when one didnt show he came my way :)

Seems very farm to farm...one of ours we heard 6 gobbles all morning this past Saturday. Sunday we switched 40 miles northeast and heard a lot more gobbles but nothing after 7 am. Birds hit the ground at about 6. They are definitely late season savvy...but still workable

Top Bottom