Pond and Plot Thread

Discussion in 'Whitetail Management' started by cybball, May 17, 2019 at 8:02 PM.

1. cybball

cybball PMA Member

Having bought my first place last fall, I wanted to do a food plot. Place had a little quarter acre pond that was in a cave of trees with huge cottonwoods on the dam. Wanted a spot for the kids and myself to fish. I hired a guy to clear the pond and dredge it out. Phase one was to clear all the trees around it and drain the pond so the silt can dry. Phase one also included clearing about an acre of trees on a ridge. Phase two will be to dredge the pond, fix the dam and build a small silt pond above the pond to slow silt issues. Phase one was completed this morning. Super excited to start the plot. My daughter helped plant a bunch of walnuts all around the property and a few on the edge of the new plot. Going with clover to start. Also going to put my chestnuts on the edge as as well. Thought I’d share some if the process. First pics show how enclosed the pond was with trees. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

goatman and Sligh1 like this.
  2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. deep woods goat hunter

deep woods goat hunter PMA Member

Nice! I did similar move at my place. IMG_0018.jpg

Jbohn and cybball like this.
  4. Daver

Daver PMA Member

cybball likes this.
  5. cybball

cybball PMA Member

Thanks. Yes they can be a problem. I planted mine along the west edge of my plot and scattered in some timber openings. I already have some but wanted to add more. Also did 50 white oaks a few weeks ago.

6. Daver

Daver PMA Member

Just another FWIW thought...I find myself continuing to eliminate trees adjacent to, or in, my food plots. Shade, competition for water/nutrients and leaf buildup, fallen branches, etc, cause me to angle this direction. I don't have a good handle on what constraints and goals you have for your slice of heaven, but I would recommend considering not getting too much, too close together. Again, totally a FWIW thought there. Good luck!

cybball likes this.