Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Popcans, the 8.5 year old is back

sureshot

The Hunt Never Ends....
I want to share a story with you all about a whitetail i've been chasing around the woods since I was 17. I am now 23. He has eluded my presence for the past 6 years, ever since I began to hunt this particular farm. I have only seen him on one occasion, and that was during the middle of the summer just before dusk. I have, however, built a history with this big guy. One of the better histories I have ever built with one particular whitetail.

I hope you all enjoy the story of Popcans.

It all started back when I was 17. I was at the age where I loved to drive around, everywhere. I decided it was time to find a new place to bowhunt. I began my quest after school one day with a good friend of mine. We really had no idea of where we were going, or who we were going to ask. We just wanted to find a farm to bow hunt. After a few unsuccessful attempts, we decided to blindly head for home. After taking a few right turns, I noticed a farmer working some cattle in a field and I decided it was worth a shot. I told my buddy to stop the truck, and then headed out into the field to ask for permission. Now that I look back at it, i'm sure that I looked pretty nervous. The farmer stopped and I tried to shoot the bull with him, then he asked me if I needed anything. I asked, and he gave permission. I was pumped. To this day i'm not sure why he said yes, as I know of many people who have been turned down by him. It could be because he felt sorry for a 140lb 16 year old kid who was just looking for a place to hunt, but nontheless, I got permission.

It was around shed season so the next weekend I headed out with to look for antlers. I had honestly never done this before, so I really didn't know what to expect. After walking for about an hour without finding any antlers I began to get discouraged, and decided it was time to make my way back towards the truck. I reached the alfalfa field and noticed something white about 40 yards in front of me. It was an antler off of a decent buck.

Popcans shed (2.5 years old)
IMG_2723.jpg

That next fall went by without a single sighting of Popcans. Shed season came again and I went back to the new farm. After a short walk I stumbled upon Popcans left side. He had made a big jump from 2.5 to 3.5.

Popcans shed (3.5 years old)
IMG_2721.jpg

IMG_2719.jpg

Here is a comparison of his 2.5 year old shed vs. when he was 3.5
IMG_2717.jpg

After picking up two sheds off of this guy, I really wanted to kill him....really bad. Problem was, I still didn't do things right when I hunted. I didnt play the wind, hang stands in smart spots, I was still new to this sport. The season again went by (when he was 4.5 years old) without me seeing Popcans. This is the only year that I have no pics, sheds, or sightings of this whitetail.

In the summer of 2006 I bought my first trail camera. It was a cheap stealth cam, one of the film ones. I could hold 24 pictures. Man, we have came a long ways since back then. Anyways, I put the camera up close to where I had found Popcans sheds, and sure enough, he showed up. Here he is...summer of 2006 as a 5.5 year old.
PopCans06.jpg

The summer of 2007 rolled around and I had "upgraded" to a Moultrie D40. It was a sweet camera. With my 512megabyte card I could hold 400 photos :grin:. I was in heaven. One evening on a mid summers drive I noticed a group of deer feeding in an alfalfa field (the same field I had found Popcans sheds), and sure enough, one of them was Popcans. This was the only time I had ever laid eyes on him. I put up a camera on a small pond near the middle of the field and hoped he would show up. He did, and he was a regular. His main-beams still looked the same, as did the shape and curvature of his G2 and G3, but his browtines had 'switched' sides. The split switched, and the curved brow switched. He had also almost completely lost the split on his G2. His frame was starting to get smaller, and he had lost some tine length. He was starting to go downhill.

Popcans 2007: 6.5 years old
1855.jpg

090.jpg

1856-1.jpg

020.jpg

In the summer of 2008 I put the camera up on the same pond. It wasn't long before he showed up again. I was surprised to say the least. He didn't look like I had expected him to look. I couldn't believe how much his rack had changed. Again, his main-beam shape, and curvature of the G2 and G3 stayed the same, however he had gained a lot of character as you can see from the pictures. He seemed to lose more tine-length in his 2's and 3's and also his main-beam. His frame was shrinking. The old guy was going downhill, but added character. I was pumped that he was still around, and really wanted to put an arrow in him. I hunted the area hard, but still, not one glimpse of Popcans.

Popcans 2008. 7.5 years old:
690.jpg

382.jpg

691-1.jpg

705.jpg

Bowseason came and gone and my hopes of having an opportunity at this old warrior were slim to none. Shotgun season rolled around and there was a rumor around the area that a whitetail with a droptine on his right side had been shot. My stomach sank, and I immediately started to talk to people in the area to see if they could direct me to who may have shot him. However, this was a failed attempt and I never found nor saw pics of anyone who shot a droptine whitetail. I thought that was the end of Popcans.

This summer (2009) I decided to throw the camera up again on his favorite pond just for kicks, maybe he still was around? I had it there for three weeks without a single pic of him or any other good buck for that matter. I told several friends that if he wasn't there the next time I checked it the camera would be pullled. Sure enough, he showed up. Again he changed. Mainframe still the same, but he lost his big drop on his right side, still has the small on his left, but has double flyers this year. Big drop in length on his 2s, 3s, and mainbeams.

Popcans 2009. 8.5 years old:
MDGC0895.jpg

MDGC0669.jpg

MDGC0889.jpg

I run anywhere between 7-10 cameras depending on the time of year, and this deer has only showed up on two of the cameras ever. His homerange is small. I know where he's bedding at right now, but after he sheds his velvet he vanishes. I have no idea where he goes to. Honestly, I have no confidence in myself or anyone else in killing this whitetail. He's an 8.5 year old survivor that will most likely succomb to old age and mother nature. Even though I have many other bucks on camera this year that would score more than Popcans, he is the one I would rather harvest. Even if I don't though, i've had a great time chasing him around and watching him change through the years. I'm sure he's watched me a few times as well, on the way in and out of my stand.
Sorry this post was so long. I know most of you skimmed through it, but thats fine. I hope you all enjoyed the pics and the history.

As for now.....this story is to be continued.....:drink1:

An absolute brute!
Great story and pics!
Good luck to ya this year, and I hope you get a chance to bag him! :way:

Looks like the racoons know him well......maybe you can ask them where he goes? HAHA

I have told you before but I will say it again, this guy is unreal. Going from a massive toad with split g2's, to having triple brows, then a droptine with kickers everywhere, and NOW FLYERS!! His character is insane!!!!! Even if you don't get a shot at this warrior before mother nature takes him away, we can hope he is throwing his genes around! He definitely knows how to survive. Good luck man.

GREAT HISTORY. GREAT READ ALSO. he would be a heck of a trophy not b/c the rack but the background you have with him. got to appreciate that kind of documentation. keep it up chris

There are a few things that I've noticed over the years about this particular deer through getting pictures of him. When he was 6.5 he traveled in a bachelor group of 4-5 bucks. When he was 7.5 he traveled with one other buck that was the same age as him, however not everyday, but hit and miss. This year, he is always by himself. When does or other bucks show up to the site when he is there, he leaves. It seems to me like he doesn't want any interaction at all with the other whitetails.

Here is another thing i've found interesting. I run cameras during the rut and the last time I received a photo of him was on October 20th of 2007 when he was 7.5. Since then, he's vanished after he shed his velvet. I don't even have him hitting any scrapes. Like I said, I have no idea where he is going after he sheds his velvet. I don't think its a very large area though.

Do you guys think that this guy is nearly impossible to kill? I'm thinking late season may be the best chance if we get a hard snow and I'm hunting over a good food source.

Cool

Great Story. Best post I've seen on here in awhile.

I guess you know where he isn't going to be this Fall. Any chance he just moves to the next farm over.

Hope you get him this year. Maybe he'll hang around until October 1st for once.

Even though I have many other bucks on camera this year that would score more than Popcans, he is the one I would rather harvest. Even if I don't though, i've had a great time chasing him around and watching him change through the years. I'm sure he's watched me a few times as well, on the way in and out of my stand.

Chris, that was a great read. The last two sentences above really spoke to me about why we all do what we do. It's the qwest as much as the harvest. Cool story - thanks.

Great story Chris! I hope you nail him!

Here is a little comparison I was once told and i figured there is no more appropriate place to bring it back up than here.

-A fawn builds the common sense as a pre-schooler, curious, playful, and quite unaware of his surroundings.

-A 1.5 YO is much like an elementary school kid; has a split interest in showing off, hanging out playfully with the older boys cuz it makes him feel better about himself, but has a mild interest in the opposite sex.

-A 2.5 YO is a early pubescant (sp) teenager, probably most like a Freshman in highschool, gets a little too big for his britches often and gets put in his place. He often needs reminded that he is still a lower figure on the totum pole.... (Not sure i spelled that right) But he is definatly interested in chasing the ladies around!!!!

-A 3.5 YO is a Senior in High school, he is quite dominant over his younger peers, and has some mild expereince with the ladies, but still learning the ropes during rut. He is quite cocky and gets his butt handed to him on occasion. He definatly has his own heram of ladies, but definately doesnt run the show.

-A 4.5 YO is a college grad, has been around the block a time or two. He is experienced in both love and war, he has found his spot in society and is quite sure of his existence, but very rarely, he locks horns with someone who owns him.... He has a long list of phone numbers and can make a booty call with success anytime!

-A 5.5 YO is highly educated, holds numerous degrees and a PHD and is basically ready for anything life can throw at him, not many others are in his shoes and he is quite adept at staying ahead of the competition. he has also sired numerous offspring and is making quite the living! Perhaps not as many ladies as when in college, but is still quite confident in getting a date, but doesnt try AS hard as he did in collge

-A 6.5 YO has advanced quite well, from production floor average joe, to shift manager, to being employed by the Corportate office and is gaining favor with the CEO. He has settled down to only a few does, but they are quite faithful to him....

-A 7.5 YO is a Professional, he has seen it all and most likely began his own famliy tree that has forked numerous times... not so much into the dating thing anymore, really doesnt pay very much attention, but if the opportunity comes along to endulge in a romantic encounter, he may! He has seen it all by now

-A 8.5 YO is retired... and living life.... he is virtually unkillabie and will most likely become worm food by natural causes. Been there done that!

-A 9.5 YO, better shoot that 3.5 that is making a scape under your tree!
:D

Great Post Chris, it would be UBER cool for you to get this ol boy this year! I hope you do!

Last edited:
That's incredible. Whether you manage to kill him or not you have one hell of a story in pics and sheds from that old dude. Thanks for sharing him with us.

Hunting on land where a buck can reach that age is a real privledge. Every night in the tree through the years you know he is out there somewhere! Ahhh sweet day dream time 30 feet up. cant wait. Thanks for the great read.

Isn't it great when a buck's life story is greater than yours! :grin: His survival really is a true testament to how crappy a hunter you truly are.

I'm just kiddin man Popcans is a legend! I hope you get a whack at him this year. I'd love to be in your shoes when he comes strolling by, but honestly, on a buck that old and wise, it'd be a struggle for me to trip the trigger on him... not saying I wouldn't, but it'll be an emotional one for sure! Hope you get the chance.... Great pics and great story!

I would say he is about as elusive as any whitetail can be and they get harder and harder to kill with each passing season.

If you do not have any pics of him after October 20th on any season then he is either finding ladies somewhere else in another core area or going underground. He may move out then until late season and return...no one else in the area has any trail cam pics of him during the rut??

Top Bottom