Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Popcans, the 8.5 year old is back

I'd def. say its the same deer. I'm sure he did some damage with breaking off the right side the way he did. He looks super old in this year's pics.

Well, I guess old Popcans tricked quite a few of us. Checked the cams today and he showed up. I can tell it's him....same droopy eyes, and the tell-tale cleft lip. He went downhill hard. I would be very surprised if he makes it much longer. It's been fun documenting this deer throughout the years and watch how he has changed in both rack size/shape and where he is living.

His rack definiatley didn't amount to much this year, but he sure does know how to survive.

MDGC0204.jpg

MDGC0276.jpg

Notice the cleft-lip;
MDGC0272.jpg

Wow. Kinda sad to see him so far down hill. Thats the way it goes though I guess. Very cool story you have with him too.

Now i definitely see an old timer in him, that's such a bummer Chris but in my eyes that's still a trophy. Me personally I'd love to find his sheds this winter and hope that he never shows back up again. Let mother nature due here duty and put the ol' timer to rest. I would have to agree with you he pry isn't going to make it through the next season. Great story and hell of a read man.

I didn't think those pics you posted before was him, but this looks like the same buck for sure. Put an arrow in this guy! You're gonna have to find where he's bedding because I'd bet he doesn't travel far at all! He has the super hidey hole I'd imagine.

The ultimate survivor for sure! It makes a guy wonder how many bucks live a full life undetected. Prior to trail cam popularity, I'm sure there were more that were never seen.

Popcans is a very cool deer but it seems doubtful that he will make a mistake, even at this old age. Seems like the type of deer that will be found dead rather than harvested by a hunter.

Awesome history on an awesome deer!:way:

You have the longest running history with the same buck that i have ever seen.Most deer never live near as long as this deer.Awesome story and pics.thanks for sharing.

Awesome, awesome, awesome....

now the question is, would you shoot him still???

:D

Son of a biscuit - I just spent 30 minutes reading this entire post....incredible.

That last set of pics in a way is kind of sad to see how he digressed, but not sad in the sense that that deer is a FRECKIN STUD. To make it through that many seasons of the orange army and your pursuit is mind boggling.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do if given the chance on this buck....with that kind of history, it would be a tough call if he ever stepped out!

Awesome, awesome, awesome....

now the question is, would you shoot him still???

:D

Yes sir, he would get an arrow straight through the boiler room, and even though he wouldn't even be close to my biggest buck, he would be the one that I am the most proud of.

Awesome story! Amazing to see a whitetail live that long in an area that receives good hunting pressure, even more amazing that you have been able to keep track of him all these years. What a great experience it has to have been for you so far.

Another good thing is that judging by the "is this popcan's" buck I would say that he did spread some genes around as well.

Thanks for taking the time to share the story

I don't visit the site as much as I'd like but this has to be one of the best threads of any forum I've ever visited. Super Cool Stuff!!

Here are some better pictures of Popcans. He has a double-mainbeam this year. This deer has had it all during the span of his life; splits, kickers, drops, flyers, and now a double-mainbeam. Bodywise, he looks fairly healthy. This is the earliest (daytime) I have ever gotten a photo of him. I'll post more pictures once he sheds out.

MDGC0465.jpg

MDGC0478.jpg

MDGC0469.jpg

Top Bottom