Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Post labor day refelections

IowaBowHunter1983

Staff member
Looks like a rainy week post labor day…. THANK GOODNESS. This is the time of year things start to shift for me from habitat work to hunting mode. I’ve got 400+ trees to get in the ground and maybe some clover to mow later, but for the most part all the foodplot and farm work is winding down. As usually this was a busy year that was compounded by buying a farm late summer and getting it ready for this first fall.

The weather shift last night and the smell of a cold rain got that hunting itch into gear. In 22 short days it will be here and I’ll be looking for that first October cold front. The ground work has been laid for lot of fun and memories in the whitetail woods. Between now and then I’ll be checking cameras and shooting my bow daily. All my gear is already washed, organized and ready to go.

I think you’re going to see some absolute giants shot in Iowa this year. I can’t wait to see em’.

What are ya’lls plans for the next 22 days?

Looks like you are prepared.

I'm gonna hang tight for deer till later in October unless I get the itch to fill a doe tag or 2.
Bear season is open but haven't felt like going in this heat we've had, but it was cold this morning and it tripped a trigger bad!!.
May go for a big old blackie soon:D

Still have about half dozen trailcams to get out, been too busy cleaning up after the derecho. Was hoping to move a ladder stand, still might if the tree that it was in didn't get blown down on it.

All plot work is done, hopefully this rain rejuvenates the brassicas. Leave Friday for Colorado Elk hunt, then return with youth season action.
I have a few shooting lanes to clear, mock rub trees to plant, and a shooting house to patch up yet though.

I wish I could find a farm I wanted to buy! That said, been shooting the bow, went thru some clothes last night. Sharpened the broadheads. I think I'm ready...

Putting in the reps with the bow, purchased some new clothing, seems like it has shrunk over the years, need to get a couple ladder stands placed.

I'm gonna hang tight for deer till later in October

Ditto, best to wait until the fall equinox from my experience then it's game on! My favorite stands have been ready for a couple weeks with shooting lanes cleared. I like to have a couple stands on standby for a quick setup during the rut. Good luck to all!

Ditto, best to wait until the fall equinox from my experience then it's game on! My favorite stands have been ready for a couple weeks with shooting lanes cleared. I like to have a couple stands on standby for a quick setup during the rut. Good luck to all!
Hard to beat any October cold front on a or on the way to a green food source IMO. Personally, I'll take that over the rut all day.

5C141CAC-CF1D-4587-A733-449B47BF8747.jpeg ...Personally, still finishing up small things in MN, adding a blind tonight overlooking clover near standing corn. In Iowa, just waiting for the season to open, and watching the "pings" on my phone for cell cam pics!

I've gotten approaching 2" of rain at the farm. Cameras are almost all transitioned to scrapes. Food plots are going to produce. Several targets to chase.

Probably spending the next 22 days enjoying some family time & being thankful for all my blessings. My wife and I just had baby #4, September 1st. That'll round out our tribe, two daughters & two sons. Beyond blessed!

Ill start the year off chasing Deere next week...then bow season will open and I will live my life vicariously through this forum and facebook hero shots...but all farm work is done, plots are growing and bow is getting daily right now! Im looking forward to escaping work to help track deer and enjoying booner beers!

Tell me if there ain’t a guy/gal here who’s “mood” didn’t “shift” this week.... went from hot dog-days of COVID summer to..., back to school cool weather with hunting in the air. Bout time!!!!! Love this change on so many fronts. Lot of good memories about to be made....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool misty mornings feel like Oct. Tree leaves were turning yellowish from being dry, it’s 43 out had a Winter coat on! No snow like out west! Weatherman said last time it was this early was the 1800s ! Mind shifted to bowhunting !

Top Bottom