Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Prep for switchgrass frost seeding

I am following dbltree’s steps for frost seeding switchgrass. The area I am converting to switch is currently in a pasture mix. I mowed it down Aug 12th but unfortunately we have had a ton of rain in SW WI and I have been unable to get the Oust/glyphosate sprayed as of yet. I was planning on spraying this weekend. My question is, will I have to mow it down after the herbicide take effect to get good soil contact with frost seeding or will the spraying pretty much take care of it? I’m just thinking that the pasture has grown quite a bit since I mowed a month ago...what steps would you recommend I take? Thanks, Mark.

Fire! Kill it with chems and burn it this fall. 100% clean seed bed. Frost seed. Gly and atrazine in April and again in May if possible. Add 2,4-d to first spraying if broadleaf issue.

Last edited:
You don't need to mow again , go ahead and Nuke it.. Burn and frost seed.. Hit is again with Gly in the spring and you pre emerge..

I am following dbltree’s steps for frost seeding switchgrass. The area I am converting to switch is currently in a pasture mix. I mowed it down Aug 12th but unfortunately we have had a ton of rain in SW WI and I have been unable to get the Oust/glyphosate sprayed as of yet. I was planning on spraying this weekend. My question is, will I have to mow it down after the herbicide take effect to get good soil contact with frost seeding or will the spraying pretty much take care of it? I’m just thinking that the pasture has grown quite a bit since I mowed a month ago...what steps would you recommend I take? Thanks, Mark.

Spray spray spray spray!!!! U have time obviously.

Above is right on!!!

Side note with SPRAY..... I want u to go into NOVEMBER with NO GREEN PERIOD. Roasted!!!! Spray on warm October days if needed. Frost seed away!!! Next spring and early summer..... spray & spray!!!!!! Ideally, in my strong opinion, I’d spray twice next year. Can address later.
Go get em!!!

Top Bottom