Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Protect Our Public Lands

nontyp

IMG_1650.jpg IMG_1649.PNG Not sure if anyone here keeps up on the issue of public land sales by the states and the push by some members of congress to transfer federal public land to the states, but this is a very serious issue facing anyone who enjoys the outdoors. If you're unfamiliar with the issue Randy Newberg has some good youtube videos and podcasts explaining the issue. Backcountry Hunters and Anglers is also a great resource for information.

Please contact your congressman through this link to tell them you oppose the transfer and sale of public land.
http://www.backcountryhunters.org/s...tm_medium=email&utm_source=backcountryhunters

if the link doesn't work just go to the BHA website and you will be directed to the correct place.

Last edited:
The Republican Party added this movement to their national platform at the convention this year. Trump told Field and Stream he was against it here, http://www.fieldandstream.com/artic...donald-trump-on-guns-hunting-and-conservation , but like many things he's sent mixed messages since. His choice of interior secretary will say a lot about what he's thinking.

Unfortunately, most non-western hunters, general citizens and their legislators are unaware of the issue. I fear most Republicans will go along with this even though it is not in their constituents best interest. They'll toe the party line to keep their Koch and Wilkes brothers masters happy.

This really shouldn't be a partisan issue. Anyone who backs the land transfer is ANTI-HUNTING! Their is no doubt that these lands have been mismanaged by Congress and past administrations much to the chagrin of many Westerners. The environmental movement is responsible for a lot of this too.

If you hunt the West, dream of hunting the West or hope your kids and grand kids have the opportunity to enjoy one of our greatest national treasures you need to let your legislators know how you feel. Unfortunately, Earnst and Grassly have not given me a very good feeling in their responses.

Yes it is very unfortunate that this is being turned into a partisan issue. I am hopeful that Trump will stick to his word and oppose land sales. Has the government mismanaged some of these lands? Yes, but mismanagement can be corrected. Once they are sold they are lost forever. Keep in mind the proponents of this movement are the same people who force the BLM and Forest Service to use up the bulk of their budget fighting wildfires instead of using the funds for managing the land properly.

Is there any federal land in Iowa? (don't think so, but asking).

I see Iowa going the other way. It seems the DNR keeps getting more land.

Is there any federal land in Iowa? (don't think so, but asking).

I see Iowa going the other way. It seems the DNR keeps getting more land.

Not much. Just Neal Smith refuge, Desoto refuge and I guess the corp land around reservoirs. This is largely an issue of western land, not land in Iowa. The DNR is a state wildlife agency which is a completely separate issue.

So it begins...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.9ed8645626e8

A pretty crappy move by the party of "fiscal responsibility" of which I am a member. But that future is in jeopardy.

I see enough post's on here about Western hunting that this should get more attention here then it probably will.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...sell-off-federal-land/?utm_term=.9ed8645626e8
Unfortunately it is 100% percent the Republicans that are pushing this idea and our Iowa representatives seem to be going along with it. They seem to think that no one here is paying much attention, cares or understands. Which is probably true. It would make a huge difference in this issue if more Eastern and Midwest hunters would let their Republican reps know that they don't approve of them giving away what belongs to all of us. If we raised enough fuss with Earnst, Grassley and the rest about thislike we do about every little whitetail reg that comes down the pipe it would make a real difference.

• Deleted by mplane72
  • Reason: double post
Show…
I agree its a big issue but not one of a top priority of Iowa residents but its the precedent it sends. I have never been out west hunting but would like to and I hope no more federal land is removed for all of the public. As Fred Bear once stated "If you're not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." Just because this doesn't affect us locally doesn't mean we shouldn't pay attention. Thanks for bringing this to all our attention.

Top Bottom