Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Public Trail Cam Set-Up??

OOBoneCollector

Going to be hunting some public land this coming fall. Was wondering, for the guys that run cams on public, what your set up is.

1. How to protect from people stealing the cams.
2. Put cams in hard to reach places or easily accessible spots?
3. Any other good info/tips...

Any help would be much appreciated!

I either carry in a single climbing stick and hang em high or lock em in a steel lock box and secure them with a python cable. I haven't had any stolen since I started doing that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

My cams were all stolen off of public this year, IN LOCK BOXES. I was a mile off the road in every case too... I would say hang em high and out of the way, use a few sticks, angle down... good luck!
Unbelievable. Some people suck.

Unbelievable. Some people suck.

Yeah.. I thought for sure I wasnt going to have any issues.. I hiked back about a mile from the road, up a tall ridge to the "perfect" area... Another one was across a creek... The area is known for horse riding even though its illegal on this particular piece.. I am assuming they saw that they were more than likely on camera, and came back with tools.. They were in metal lock boxes and python locks, all gone... Joys of public land...I also had one stand stolen that didnt have sticks up to it...they were some motivated people I tell ya

Yeah.. I thought for sure I wasnt going to have any issues.. I hiked back about a mile from the road, up a tall ridge to the "perfect" area... Another one was across a creek... The area is known for horse riding even though its illegal on this particular piece.. I am assuming they saw that they were more than likely on camera, and came back with tools.. They were in metal lock boxes and python locks, all gone... Joys of public land...I also had one stand stolen that didnt have sticks up to it...they were some motivated people I tell ya

Low lifes

Honestly, I'd have a hard time putting cameras up on public land. If I did, I'd go as cheap as possible on the camera itself.

Maybe put out a decoy camera that people will likely see, then hide another one better to get the same area (bonus if it gets the decoy camera in view), so people will think they got the only camera there. No way to fully prevent damage/theft if they can find it, so guess hiding as good as possible is the best bet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom