Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ramrod and Jag Questions

cybball

I'm relatively new (4 years or so) to muzzleloader hunting. I have a TC Triumph. Currently, I have a jag screwed into my ramrod, which I leave on, even when under the barrel. The jag is roughly 3 inches long and does not get in the way of shots, although it sticks out slightly beyond the muzzle (sits under).
I bought a new ramrod for the TC that has the T-handle to make it easier to push down and load. Problem is, the T is too big to go in backwards, which would have allowed the jag to remain. If I use the new ramrod with my gun in the field, I won't have that jag on it, and would be pushing the bullet down (hollow point expander) the barrel with a smaller surface than the jag was.

How do you guys do this? Keep a jag in your pocket? Don't use one? Never really been sure how most people did that.
Thanks!
Jason

I don’t use a “T” handle! I leave the jag on and have an old shed antler burr that I cut off and drilled a hole in the cut surface to push with. Store it in “possibles” bag until needed.

The bottom of my speed loaders are made for starting the sabot. I usually just use my ramrod to start it though, never had any issue since the barrel is usually not fouled bad.

I have a CVA and it has a palm saver on the end of the ramrod. I took it off, put my spinjag on there and just go that route. The spinjag does stick out past the end of the barrel a couple inches, but no big deal. I usually just use a glove or fold of my coat or something on top of the ramrod to save my hand when seating the bullet.

I do as the same as above, only difference is, I have a range rod for cleaning and going to the range for testing.
I leave the spin jag attached to the ram rod.

Thanks! I'll just keep with my current way of doing it. The T-Handle thing sounded awesome, but it's not that useful in the field, without having to attach a jag quick before loading. Not really wanting to do that after a shot.

Top Bottom