Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rifles for Iowas gun seasons

Winke's thoughts on it:

Question from "Ask Winke"

Bill, what are your thoughts on the new law that just passed that will allow rifles that shoot straight wall cartridges during Iowa’s shotgun and youth seasons?

Bill responds,

It doesn’t seem like a game changer to me. From what I gather, they are not long-range guns. Not much different from a good modern slug gun.

I don’t want to see high powered rifles in Iowa’s gun seasons, but I don’t see a big issue with these. Remember, it is also legal (or least it was and probably still is) to use handguns during Iowa’s gun seasons, but how many people do that?

Very few. I could be wrong, but I don’t see much of an issue here and if it brings in new hunters without changing the basic structure of how we hunt, it is good. Have a great day. (4-4-17)

Well what I forsee is a lot of .450 bushmasters or other calibers on an AR platform with 30 round magazines. Yeah they aren't much more accurate than modern slugs but they don't have to be when you have 30 rounds.

Don't kid yourself.... someone WILL introduce a bill to expand these cartridges in a couple years. A few more years after that they will try center fire high powers. That will be a sad sad day. We better collectively get our heads out of the sands and start standing up to the special interests yahoos funding corrupt politicians.

You're right it's not. I didn't realize there was an approved list. .50 beowulf is listed though and I know that cartridge is popular on the AR platform.

What's interesting is that the vote was a landslide. Must be some BIG time support from the gun industry.
I looked up carbine guns in the calibers that will be approved and most the stuff in that platform with high capacity mags is kinda pricey. You can get an AR in that platform if you want, but it will cost you $1k at least; unless you get a high point. ;) Even lever actions can be spendy. I honestly don't see the vast majority of guys running out to gun shops right away and trading their rifled shotguns for AR's or semi autos. Time will tell, but if this rule change is as far as they ever push it then it's not the end of the world.

Its the same cartidges that are already allowed in pistol form... I dont have a link, when I looked it up all I found was a pdf of the entire hunting regs and its in there

here's the list. I realize the ballistics aren't great on these guns. Again, my concern is the high capacity mags. We have a couple groups that hunt around us that I can almost guarantee will have ARs this season.

Attachments

• IMG_1973.PNG
    IMG_1973.PNG
    300 KB · Views: 46
Don't kid yourself.... someone WILL introduce a bill to expand these cartridges in a couple years. A few more years after that they will try center fire high powers. That will be a sad sad day. We better collectively get our heads out of the sands and start standing up to the special interests yahoos funding corrupt politicians.
BINGO. Next weapon, rifle, new season- it's on its way and the Politicians and special interests will expect the same feedback from the opposition "oh, this little bit more isn't so bad- we just need to roll over and accept it".

We are always on the defensive as conservaionists and folks who simply want to leave our deer seasons alone (6 seasons, 5 weapons and 4 months of hunting!! ENOUGH!!!!) The opposition smells blood in the water and we are going to be on defensive vs the other way around. The politicians & special interests are emboldened further with bills like this. And, I have to think Winke above, knows this. He knows it's a stepping stone to more weapons and seasons, imo. I know the vast majority of hunters who pay attention know what's really going on here. Next up in line to propose for weapons, seasons, etc?????

This sucks. How does it pass with no votes at all in opposition? What information is given to those voting that makes them all vote in favor of it passing? Sligh could not be more right in this just being a slippery slope to more rifles being added and likely possible season changes and dates in the future. IA is so well known for deer hunting, even though it is not what it once was. I fear our elected officials just see this as a money grab. Adding more weapons trying to get more involvement and sell more tags. IMO its just a matter of time until more calibers and dates are opened, more NR and potentially over the counter NR tags are made available. With just a couple years we now have xbows and rifles, it shudder to think where we will be in 5, 10 years from now.

This topic has been discussed a few times on the iowasportsman site, and nearly everyone on that site is in favor of this. Some of the facebook groups this has a lot of opposition. Just seems nuts to me how quickly this was introduced and got pushed through.

If its not broke, don't fix it! IA is a top end state in the whitetail world because of the way things are...were. Why mess with it???? Call me a nay-sayer, but this is just the beginning to a downfall.

How many guys are gonna be out opening day with their 30-06 or 270 because they heard from their brothers cousins uncle that rifles were legal now?

Hmmm. I guess after some thought I really don't see this leading to high powers in a general season. I wasn't in favor of it. I saw no real need for it. But my opposition to it was purely selfish. Other shotgun states such as Indiana and Ohio< I believe, have made the change. I saw some complaints on the national forums I follow at first but nothing in a while.

High powers would only be safe in the areas they were permitted for the late doe slaughter and parts of the NE corner. Even then they would not be safe with the numbers of people that are out for 1st and 2nd season in those areas. I just do not see them getting much support among the bulk of the legislature or hunters and especially land owners.

Cross Bows are coming. Don't like it and will appose it but it will still happen.

Now I will go out on a limb... When you overwhelmingly put the party that answers to the Farm Bureau and has never seen a bad gun bill in their life in power how can you be surprised when this kind of thing happens. Conservation is not their concern. Also, this was an easy "gun bill" for Dems to back. It was about hunting and there is no real safety argument to be made against it, minus capacity issues in certain platforms which most don't have any understanding of. No way anyone was going to stand in opposition to this bill. In fact this is the only place I have seen any opposition to it voiced.

Flame On.............

Do everything you can to battle this. Indiana did the same thing 8 years ago and now we are at a full blown any centerfield rifle larger than .243 is allowed during gun season. Only took 7 years to evolve and Iowa will follow suit for sure

The NRA conundrum, the very group that fights against incrementalism is responsible for incrementalism.

To paraphrase part of another post above, you get what you vote for. What did you expect? This bill was proposed last year, made it through committee, placed on the House calendar and referred back to the committee. Why? Because the bill sponsors knew it wouldn't pass the Senate that, at the time, was controlled by Democrats. We wanted change last November, we got it. This law is part and parcel of that change.

Those of us that wanted change need look no further than the mirror to see who is responsible for this change; whether you support it or not.

Do everything you can to battle this. Indiana did the same thing 8 years ago and now we are at a full blown any centerfield rifle larger than .243 is allowed during gun season. Only took 7 years to evolve and Iowa will follow suit for sure

What effect, if any, has that had on the quality of the deer herd and deer hunting in Indiana? I'm talking a direct effect that can without a doubt be linked to allowing centerfire rifle rounds, not speculation.
I personally don't see this as being a "the sky is falling" issue for anyone other than those that like to consider certain deer "their deer".

*edit: What the current bill will do is create an environment that should encourage more young hunters to get out in the field. That is something that as sportsmen/women we should be supporting.

*edit: What the current bill will do is create an environment that should encourage more young hunters to get out in the field. That is something that as sportsmen/women we should be supporting.

How does it encourage young hunters? I don't personally think this will do anything to recruit young hunters. I am all for hunter recruitment and getting kids involved but I don't see how giving them more weapon choices will change anything.

Top Bottom