Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Roundup Ready Corn & Soybean Food Plot

Here’s what our RR beans look like every spring. Got 2 acres in two separate plots on our farm. Always tons left over. Winter rye is greening up. Deer feed in the corn ag fields almost as much as our plots it seems. White clover is still our #1 plot for year round attraction

4a4ffc6ba475914fcf519595b1c6bd3c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe this has been covered, but I'm not reading through 25 pages to find it. From what i've seen GMO crops will always get less traffic than non-GMO stuff. Several farmer friends of mine have also seen the same thing. Also, another one said that his cows will hit non-GMO cornstalk bales a lot harder too. I had one honey hole a few years back. 10 acres of non-gmo corn that a hobby farmer planted in the middle of 1000's of acres of RR crops . The deer trail to it looked like a 4-wheeler trail.

Here’s what our RR beans look like every spring. Got 2 acres in two separate plots on our farm. Always tons left over. Winter rye is greening up. Deer feed in the corn ag fields almost as much as our plots it seems. White clover is still our #1 plot for year round attraction
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

interesting. I had 15 acres of standing beans spread out on a few farms. You couldn't have found a bean left by the end of January in any of them.

Maybe this has been covered, but I'm not reading through 25 pages to find it. From what i've seen GMO crops will always get less traffic than non-GMO stuff. Several farmer friends of mine have also seen the same thing. Also, another one said that his cows will hit non-GMO cornstalk bales a lot harder too. I had one honey hole a few years back. 10 acres of non-gmo corn that a hobby farmer planted in the middle of 1000's of acres of RR crops . The deer trail to it looked like a 4-wheeler trail.
Don’t disagree and I’ve read & heard that before. Preference issue if both were available. Most guys plant only gmo and deer eat it so it’s hard to find research and experience as very few have both to do a fair comparison. I’ve heard this many times though. Possible and I’ve heard it enough there may be something to it.

RR yes. Reading. Says “Gly tolerant”. Odd verbiage.

Interesting.... reading up on em....

Don’t disagree and I’ve read & heard that before. Preference issue if both were available. Most guys plant only gmo and deer eat it so it’s hard to find research and experience as very few have both to do a fair comparison. I’ve heard this many times though. Possible and I’ve heard it enough there may be something to it.

There's definitely something to it. Hard to say if it's every variety of non-gmo or what. Would be an interesting study. My first experience with it was the hobby farmer with 10acres. And he was always complaining about the deer eating his corn and not the neighboring corn. At first I was like, yeah, yeah. But after hunting it, these deer were going through a solid mile of corn to hit his field. it was pretty funny.

Years ago there was talk of corn that was high in lysine as being preferred by deer. Also it was valued for livestock feed. There are lots of forms of protein but not all are easily digestible.

I gotta agree with Jordan and the last few comments. My deer hit my standing corn way harder than my soybeans on any given year. This year my beans look like Jordans, plenty leftover, but corn would have been long gone by now. No matter how much I left. Years ago when there were more non gmo fields to compare with, you could really notice the difference in usage. If I had to choose 1, I would pick corn over beans for hunting. Maybe a field on non gmo indian corn would be the ultimate feeding area

I always thought the “coolest thing” to “try” would be to plant a massive field of sweet corn!!! :). Smaller ears, super expensive but it’s not round up corn & I know every critter loves it. I gotta think when it dried down, it would still be “sweet & sugary” but who knows. For how much it costs & how much u would need to plant- it likely will stay a “dream” ;)

Reactions: 6x6
Finished up my 2018 corn plots last Friday, just need some warmer weather! Last time I tried corn I got hit with the drought in 2012, so hopefully the weather cooperates a little better.

going to have about 3 acres total in 2 separate plots. We don't have terribly high deer densities and my soybean plots always have plenty of beans left so it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Luckily I get along with my inlaws, and my plots are accessible, so I roped my father in law into putting on anhydrous for me.
full

As you can see my equipment is a slightly different standard, but it got the job done.
full

Old planter still does a pretty nice job, but the operator still don't drive a very straight line.
full

Finished up my 2018 corn plots last Friday, just need some warmer weather! Last time I tried corn I got hit with the drought in 2012, so hopefully the weather cooperates a little better.

going to have about 3 acres total in 2 separate plots. We don't have terribly high deer densities and my soybean plots always have plenty of beans left so it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Luckily I get along with my inlaws, and my plots are accessible, so I roped my father in law into putting on anhydrous for me.
full

As you can see my equipment is a slightly different standard, but it got the job done.
full

Old planter still does a pretty nice job, but the operator still don't drive a very straight line.
full
It looks beautiful already. Get ready for coon boom.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I've planted RR, conventional, and even open pollinated varieties of corn the last few years. None have had any ears left by mid February (northern WI). Deer love corn.
This year I'm planting a silage corn variety that purports soft/floury kernals and allows slower digestion which is said to be much better for deer and ruminants in general.
I'm also planting a very early varietal RR soybean (0.7). The plan there is to broadcast brassicas into the rows around August 1 and double up on mature soybeans and brassicas. I will inoculate the soybeans to provide N.

Larry I am very interested in hearing how your silage corn experiment turns out. Depending how it goes I will try that next spring.

Some really good stuff here on residual control post emergence on beans. I was just talking to agronomist at co-op about this educating myself a little to do things better. Def going start spraying pre's before planting but got some options yet to control waterhemp.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Good vid!! Agree.
Waterhemp.... 1) make sure absolute nuke on burn down - dead as dead can get.... then spray when weeds are small on follow up/2nd spraying. 2) pre emergents like video says- agree. A few I like & u will find em all over... prowl h2o, flexstar. Then - of course, like vid, u can run s-metolachlor but not really for waterhemp. Those 3 classes of pre’s will make huge impact. 3) switching to liberty - Glufosinate- that’s going to be a major game changer. Easy switch - still wanna spray when weeds are SMALL! **never ever get me switch to dicamba. Sorry- no way, not ever. Liberty far better & a lot of other options as well. Dicamba & everything around u & drift- no way!! USE LIBERTY, pre’s & ppo!!!! Nice part.... all ur coops will have a “premix” that has 3 classes of herbicides in one. Will have a brand name & maybe cost lil more but on food plot scale- no biggy.
***Last - Be careful with a few on plots Rotated to fall plots - just ask coop. for example, if u wanna rotate to brassicas- leave out Fomasafen or couple other options the LABEL or coop can tell u in 2 secs about residual impact. Most r fine on burn down- like prowl, s-metolachlor, etc. but a few aggressive ones wanna drop if rotating to other fall plots. Easy to determine!

Last edited:
Good stuff. Some day I will be farming for real. When that day comes I want to be armed with as much knowledge as possible. Not coming from a farming background whatsoever there is a lot to learn. All good stuff. Right now trying to get my hands on some Zidua or similar without buying at 8 year supply at my current planting rate.

Good stuff. Some day I will be farming for real. When that day comes I want to be armed with as much knowledge as possible. Not coming from a farming background whatsoever there is a lot to learn. All good stuff. Right now trying to get my hands on some Zidua or similar without buying at 8 year supply at my current planting rate.
Ha ha! Be careful what u wish for!!! It’s full of headaches & that’s why there’s so much hunger for information! Become an expert at plots, grow bigger & farming will come naturally & u won’t have make or break years based on yields/income either. Yep- arm yourself with knowledge & experiment!! Plots r a fantastic way to experiment & dial things in.

What's a good count for broadcast soybeans. I'll be at 172k/acre. Doing about 5 acres. Expecting them to get browsed to ground but want to five it best shot without over seeding. Expect portion to not germinate from improper depth. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom