Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Roundup Ready Corn & Soybean Food Plot

Re: Corn and beans/ RR forage soybeans

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On a related question, when is it to late to plant soys for a food plot?
</div></div>

One of my all time best hunts was an early season muzzleloader hunt, so it had to be somewhere around Oct. 20th or so, on a still green, secluded bean field. In talking with the farmer responsible, he indicated that his first planting was washed out with rain and he planted this field a second time on JULY 4th.

Now then, I am not sure how the actual production turned out from a farming point of view, but from the standpoint of the local deer herd... this was THE field to be in. So I would say if you get some timely rains and so forth, you could easily go up to late June or so.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> he planted this field a second time on JULY 4th.
</div></div>

I've planted beans in July before...long before roundup was even heard of... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif

I think the key is, either you want them green like Davers were or dried down but not drying down

When the leaves are turning they don't touch them so just plan around that and consider planting dates and maturity dates when buying seed.

Most of the forage types will stay green until frost where commercial grain type soys are bred to mature and dry down much earlier.

After reading and looking at your pics Paul I'm wishing I would of went with dual instead of Buccaneer(Round-up). Does the Dual prevent me from going in July and overseeding with rye or brassica though?

I hada small 5 acre field planted on july 1st once.In aug one morning there were 16 bucks in that field and hour after sunup.deer would come out and feed in that spot at 1 in the afternoon.Every deer in the area was on that late plot.
this year I'm going with the forage soybeans.

Here are two methods of keeping soybeans green up to frost. Delay planting, which will decrease height and total tonnage produced, but will be green longer than the same variety planted earlier. Or plant a much later maturing forage soybean that can be planted as early as any soybean, produce twice as much forage per acre, and will stay green up till the first few frosts. Your end goal should be to maximize nutrition for your entire summer growing season to increase body weight. Over several years, hopefully you will reap the rewards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Or plant a much later maturing forage soybean</div></div>

Do you have an example or seed name?

I have a really wet area that I have given up on trying to grow corn in. I'm going to wait a couple more weeks before planting beans.

Tim

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PYBucks</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Or plant a much later maturing forage soybean</div></div>

Do you have an example or seed name?

I have a really wet area that I have given up on trying to grow corn in. I'm going to wait a couple more weeks before planting beans.

Tim </div></div>

You can check with your local seed dealer and just ask for a later maturing soybean. If I remember correctly I believe that the larger number reflects a later maturity date but someone can correct me on that if I'm wrong.

For instance a 4.3 would be earlier and a 7 would be much later, as noted in the quote below taken from this link: Soy Varieties

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The scale used was (maturity) score 1 = mature. 5= some frozen
leaves on plant. 6 = frozen leaves were still green. 7= plant was fully green before killing
frost on Oct 1-2 </div></div>

Here's a few links:

Soybean Links

Forage Soybeans

I believe there is information in the "code" on the bag but any seed dealer will be able to help you with a later maturing soybean seed. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

SoyInfo.jpg

Soybean numbers reflect the maturity range. Example, the beans that Dbltree posted are S28-G1, which means 2.8 bean. If you can't find a forage type bean, ask your local seed dealer for a later maturity (for Iowa, 3.7-3.9 is a late maturity) bean that is for wide row planting. This will ensure that you get a good "bushy type" bean, which can handle foraging, yet still produce a pod for late winter feed.

Re: Corn and beans/ soybean inoculant

Nannyslayer has some soybean inoculant inventory that he would like to have a little less of...so if anyone is in need please send Brian a p.m.

$9.00 will get a bag of inoculant shipped to your house and it will do about 5 bags of seed.

This link explains the need for inoculant if soybeans haven't been grown there in recent years.

Inoculating Legumes

Inoculant is cheap insurance and is easy to mix with seed. Check the link for mixing instructions.

My RR soybeans from nannyslayer that I planted roughly a month ago are up and growing! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

RRsoybeans06-01.jpg

As I posted in earlier in this thread I broadcast them at roughly 220,000 seeds per acre because I expect heavy grazing, mortality and uneven germination because they were not drilled.

I planted them with forage oats that I hope will "feed" the deer and allow the soys to grow.

RRsoysnoats.jpg

A "green" field makes them a little less noticable then if they were in nice neat, clean rows that deer seem to love "mowing" /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

RRsoysnoats06-01-08.jpg

I wasn't able to find any evidence of deer grazing on the newly emerged soybean plants and they seem to be thriving! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

RRsoy6-1.jpg

There is "baby" foxtail starting to come up, so my plan is to monitor weed growth along with the oats and RR soys and spray RUP when I have to but not a moment before.

I want the oats there as a diversion as long as possible and I hope they will help inhibit (shade) weed growth for a while also.

Babyfoxtail.jpg

Oats and soybeans is something I haven't seen before but deer love those new oats and they are certainly less expensive then soybeans...low cost insurance I'm hoping.

As I have noted in other thread...soybeans are just another option that requires no nitrogen which greatly reduces the cost of inputs verus corn for instance. They can be difficult to grow in small hidden plost as deer will decimate them unless...this oat/soy combo works out!

Note: Remember nannyslayer has some soybean inoculate at a decent price if your have some late beans yet to put in. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

dbltree, you have any updated pictures of the pea's and soybeans? Just wondering how they are doing with the oats in with them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nannyslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dbltree, you have any updated pictures of the pea's and soybeans? Just wondering how they are doing with the oats in with them. </div></div>

I'll post some this coming week Brian /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Despite the forage oats (which have been grazed very hard) I think they are still being pretty hard on the RR soybeans.

They look healthy and nice color but close inspection shows that deer have still been feeding on them.

Grazedsoys.jpg

Grazingonsoys.jpg

The oats don't seem to be hindering growth partly because they have been grazed so hard also.

Moresoysnotas.jpg

I had to really get down and visually inspect the soys but it seemed rare not to find a plant that hadn't been nipped

Nippedsoys.jpg

Some have pretty good growth mostly where the oats are heavier or ungrazed.

SoybeanHt6-28.jpg

Some pics of the soys and oats together:

SoybeansnOats.jpg

SoysnOats2.jpg

SoysnOats3.jpg

Of course there is foxtail coming up as well although not nearly as bad as I expected.

Foxtail.jpg

I have a feeling that the minute I kill the other growth that deer will mow the soys however if wait to long to spray then weeds will take over and inhibit growth.

The whole idea with RR soys is to spray just ahead of a point when the soys will canopy and inhibit further weed growth.

I'm thinking I will wait until the end of the week at least and if they "kill" the soys then I'll have time the end of the summer to replant to rye.

Nannyslayer can give us his thoughts on timing of spraying RR soybeans and I'll post comparison pics of the field peas later also.

Timing can be tricky on Soybeans, especially this year. Rule of thumb is 30 days after planting, beans will canopy. This has not held true this year due to wet and cool conditions. So basically, watch your beans, and you will want to spray BEFORE canopy, to ensure a good kill on weeds. Also, types of beans you plant and row width in which they are planted will give way on when beans will canopy.

Re: RR soybeans - Roundup Time

I nuked the weeds in the RR soybeans I got from Nannyslayer a couple weeks ago.

Mixing them with the oats worked great...for awhile /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

RRsoysnoats-1.jpg

Just as I feared...soon as I killed the weeds they started pounding the soys.

Soys7-24.jpg

The oats protected them at first

RRsoybeans-1.jpg

but in this pic you can see they have literally pounded even the oats to stubble compared with the peas and oats on either side of the rr beans.

Poundedbeans.jpg

Every soybean plant is nipped

Nippedsoys-1.jpg

and grazed hard

Grazedsoys-1.jpg

These were taken today...July 24th

July24soys.jpg

Every plant I looked at had been bitten off

Bittensoys.jpg

I don't see any hope of these soybeans being able to provide any kind of a fall attractant but that is not the fault of the beans.

The whole plot is covered with beds and even with all the different types of food sources I have surrounding these beans, deer obviously LOVE these beans!

Compared to other soys these forage type beans have fared much better so if you have a larger plot to plant and/or less deer density then I do, give nannyslayers rr soybean seed a try.

Good stuff but just not invincable... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

I'll leave these for a few more weeks but I think I'll end up tilling them under and planting a rye/oats combo.

When all else fails...plant rye! Hell, high water and 30 deer per acre won't matter...that rye will still be there clean thru winter and next spring they'll still be lovin' it! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Re: RR soybeans

I have tried plenty of soybeans including the Eagle brand soys which did well under the circumstances. The only problem I see with those is shipping... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

The forage soybeans I got from nannyslayer however have impressed me like no other...deer absoutely love these beans and they almost survived!! I think if I had 5-6 acres of them they would have worked so keep nanny in mind if your interested in planting RR forage soybeans next spring!

I'm going to till mine under next week just because the deer have decimated them to the point that they will not provide any fall feed so here are some pics before I do.

They never were allowed to canopy so velvetleaf(?) is coming up in them otherwise the intial RUP spraying worked well.

SoybeansnVelvetleaf.jpg

Some areas where I didn't kill the oats they were protected longer...the oats didn't seem to interfer with the soys in anyway and deer fed on the oats until the got to mature.

SoybeansinOatStraw.jpg

ForageSoybeans.jpg

You can see in many of these pics that despite the heavy grazing they continued to develop pods even inches from the ground!

ForageSoybeans2.jpg

I can only imagine what they would have been capable of with lighter grazing thru the summer.

ForageSoys3.jpg

I like soys because they can witstand, even thrive in our hot, humid and sometimes dry summers.

ForageSoys4.jpg

Every soybean field around is covered up with deer right now and after they dry down they'll be right back in them!

AugustPods.jpg

I hope some of you that either have less pressure or larger acreages will contact Brian about planting these beans next year...I think you'll be impressed with them! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Looks like you have plenty of buttons weeds to boot. If deer would only heat those /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Well, I'm glad they "almost" worked for you.

When is a good time to get leftover corn and soybeans cheap?
I want to try a mix this spring where I got my rye,rape and turnips planted now. Hopefully I can get in and make it a little bigger by spring. How much seed would I need? It'll only be maybe half an acre. I'll have to broadcast the seed and try to dics it in some. Probably not the best way to do it but it'll have to do because there's no way to get real equipment in there.

Top Bottom