Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Roundup Ready Corn & Soybean Food Plot

It appears that my electric fence is going to work and that will allow me to start planting corn again but by golly...I'm going to have to get with the program to grow as nice a field of corn as my friend Mike's!!

MIkescornmidJuly.jpg

His whitetails will not only be fat and happy but safe and secure in this beautiful corn!

MikesPacker.jpg

I love growing corn for whitetails and upland birds but the last year I planted it they had eaten every ear off from 6 acres by Oct 1st!:thrwrck:

The electric fence will cure that problem.... ;)

I've been thinkin' (I know...scary thought! :eek: ) now that I have faith in my electric fence actually protecting my soybeans...I'm making plans to expand! For years I grew beautiful corn and soybeans that held deer all winter long until....they adapted to my safe, secure whitetail oasis.

Food sources protected by dense stands of NWSG, those screened by shrub and conifer plantings and safe bedding in hinge cut areas where released oaks beckon with sweet acorns...all proved to be too much of a good thing! Instead of a few deer I now have herds that wipe out my corn before season opened and never allowed beans to get over an inch high.

Electric fence has changed all of that and I look forward to returning my corn field to it's former glory and giving my friend Mike a run for his money! I can see I have my work cut out for me...... ;)

MikesPlaceJuly2010.jpg

I know one thing...Mikes place ought to be on the cover of a magazine!:way:

My friend Andy commented the other day that he watched some deer walk through a field of soybeans to get to his forage beans. Others however lament the lack of pods on their forage beans and worry about the possibility of not having a late fall food source.

Now Andy is wise and plants many food sources including ag soybeans so he has all bases covered on his farm, as should we all.

The subject of soybeans then becomes a bit confusing and the waters murky to those who don't fully understand the limitations, perhaps then we can clarify this topic to help landowners understand what might work best for them.

Soybeans....quite possibly the most irresistible food source on can plant! While green and growing almost from the moment they emerge, soybeans are hungrily lapped up by whitetails! Many a plotter has watched in dismay as deer completely destroy their bean plots within the first month after planting.

Later in the fall and winter the now dried down standing soybeans themselves become the target, leaves long gone deer return to gobble up the high protein beans as fast as they can. A 5 acre standing soybean field can easily have 40-50 deer feeding in it by late December when other food sources are long gone.

Driedsoys10-13.jpg

Soybeans then are versatile and a highly attractive food source for much of the year.

In Iowa ag soybeans often grow so tall that a grown deer can scarcely be seen and they produce a tremendous amount of forage all summer long. Depending on the maturity date the beans begin to yellow in late August to early September and eventually the leaves drop and the fuzzy pods begin to dry.

Soybeans9-15-09.jpg

During this period deer will refuse to touch the beans, often 3-6 weeks depending on the weather and beans, but when fully dry the will resume feeding on the beans themselves.

What then are significant differences between forage and ag beans?

Forage beans are very late maturing beans that put nearly all their energy into producing high protein forage but very little into actual bean production. The forage (leaves) are very palatable and highly attractive to deer.

Ag beans bred for grain production are also very attractive to deer and also produce a tremendous amount of forage but they are intent on producing high yielding beans, often as much as 60 or more bushel per acre.
Another comparison might be made with sorghum...milo is bred for grain production while most sorghums are bred for forage. Milo is shorter and produces large seed heads while forage sorghum is very tall and is normally chopped for silage or baled for hay. Both produce seeds but the forage varieties produce far less seed, so if winter feed is our goal...milo is the best option.

There are pros and cons then to each and each has a usefulness that cannot be ignored but there are very important differences that landowners should be aware of before making planting choices.

Forage beans

Pro - produce higher quality, higher protein forage for a longer period of time, very palatable and attractive to whitetails during the summer and early fall months before a killing frost.

Con- these beans usually produce far less beans and they will stay green until frosts kill them which unfortunately is right in the middle of hunting season. That means the beans will be avoided like the plague for 3-6 weeks in Oct/Nov. in most of the midwest.

FrozenSoys1.jpg

Because they maintain their canopy until frosts it is nearly impossible to over seed other crops into the standing beans.

Cost of seed can be high depending on shipping and RR forage beans can cost upwards of $75 a bag

Ag beans

Pro - produce high yielding beans...40-60 bushel of beans will feed a lot of deer for a long time during the heart of most mid west hunting seasons.

They dry down before season allowing landowners to over seed other crops like rye, radishes or turnips into the standing beans.

While the protein content of the leaves may be slightly less then that for forage beans, ag beans will still produce copious amounts of high quality, very palatable forage.

RR soybeans run $38-45 a bag and often free or low cost seed can be had through Pheasants Forever, NWTF or Quail Unlimited. Conventional seed is often no more then $20 a bag.

Con - they may not be as attractive to deer as forage beans but only if forage beans are planted near by and ONLY when the beans are green and growing. Ag beans will be more attractive during Nov. thru Jan. typical hunting season time frames.

What then is right for you? In some cases planting some of each such as Andy does might be the answer. If you have large amounts of ag soybeans to compete with then forage beans may help draw deer to your property and adapt them to feeding there.

Don Higgins wrote in a recent article how red deer adapted to the electric fence portion of the Iron Curtain and descendants who had never seen the fence (long since torn down)still refuse to cross the imaginary line. Adapting deer to feed in an area then is important over a number of years offspring may refuse to go elsewhere.

On my own property deer have become so adapted to feeding in one field that even when forced out by a new electric fence refused to feed in a new plot of beans only yards away.

Forage beans could prove useful in some situations where hundreds or even thousands of acres of ag beans give landowners stiff competition. If however one has to fence deer out lest the forage beans be destroyed, planting them makes little sense since the forage itself is the whole point,

If your ultimate goal is having hordes of deer on your property in late November through January then common high yielding ag beans may work best for you. If fencing is required and in most cases it will be...provide adjacent plots of white clover or alfalfa for summer grazing.

There is then no right or wrong answer to the question of what soybeans to plant, landowners are fortunate to have options. What is important is knowing the limitations of any food source, when it will produce and how that will correspond with your needs.

No one food source is likely to provide year around feed for whitetails in most midwest and northern states so plan a combination of crops of which soybeans become a part of. Plan on fencing unless you have plenty of neighboring ag beans and in many cases the fence may be removed from the forage beans once they are tall enough to withstand the grazing. Leave the ag beans fenced until they start to yellow at which point the fence can safely be removed.

IMG_0019.jpg

Soybeans...nearly impossible to beat as an attractant and high quality food source, easy to plant by broadcasting, drilling or with a corn planter, Roundup Ready plants allow for easy weed control. Look over the options, the pros and cons and decide what type or types of soybeans might be best for you....;)

Last edited:
When planting season is finished each year seed companies have two choices to deal with often huge quantities of unsold corn and soybean seed....burn it or give it to conservation groups such as NWTF, PF and QU.

One friend of mine works at a large generating plant that may burn 40-50,000 bushels of seed corn...every kernel of it top quality, high yielding, very expensive seed.

Fortunately in my state our IDNR and NWTF work together to procure hundreds of bags of seed, usually all RR seed corn and soybeans which is then given away to NWTF chapters and members across the state. Often sorghum, milo, alfalfa and wheat seed is also free to chapters willing to pick it up.

This fall a friend and I will pick up literally a truck load of seed for the whopping cost of .50 cents a bag to help pay for delivering it to pick up sites. In the spring our local PF chapter pays up to $250 to help defray the costs of seed, fertilizer and herbicide used to establish food plots.

If you love wildlife and a bargain to boot, I strongly encourage you to join the National Wild Turkey Federation, Pheasants and Quail Forever and Quail Unlimited. If they do not have a local chapter...start one and get involved to take advantage of an incredible offer of free seed that is 100% top quality, Roundup Ready and usually carry Yield-guard traits as well.

Write a check for 30 bucks for a membership or...one for hundreds of dollars for seed...the choice is yours......:way:

eagle seed company has a roundup ready soybean that climbs. it could be a great bean to plant in with corn as it climbs up in the corn getting more sun and it produces tons of green forage besides bean pods.

Our ag soybeans were put in late because of the wet spring weather so of course that delayed dry down past the best date to overseed winter rye but I did broadcast some when the beans looked like this...

IMG_0031.jpg

Even though this is a 20 acres field the beans are heavily grazed

IMG_0030.jpg

With all the heavy fall rains in our area the rye of course germinated but without sun it is barely surviving under the canopy

IMG_0010.jpg

The rye is thing and spindly rather then a broad robust leaf

IMG_0009.jpg

The beans however are starting to turn and that is allowing sunlight to reach the rye

IMG_0008.jpg

Early maturing beans are prefect for overseeding rye and radishes into and the combination makes for awesome lat season hunting but it is important to get the beans in early and given a choice, choose beans that will be turning by late August.

by Oct 1st the dried beans will be palatable to deer and the rye and radishes will also be lush and attractive and provide a food plot that will literally carry deer through until spring.... :way:

Some friends of mine have an outstanding field of forage soybeans but I asked them what they were going to do when these beans turned this fall since it would be right in the middle of hunting season? They exclaimed that they really hadn't thought about that but not to worry because they probably wouldn't hunt til very late in the season when the forage beans would have eventually dried down.

I then asked...so how do you plan to hold deer on your property during the 3-4 weeks when the forage beans are turning? Do you really want your deer to be running over to the neighbors place right in the middle of hunting season?

Foragebeans.jpg

Forage beans can be a very useful addition to a habitat plan so my thoughts here are not to discourage anyone from planting them but rather make everyone aware that you cannot expect to hold deer with only ONE food source, especially forage beans.

Some people are not aware that soybeans are unpalatable to whitetails when they begin to turn and dry down and they will avoid them like the plague when they look like this....

IMG_0014-1.jpg

Modern ag beans are bred to dry down rapidly while forage beans remain alive until frosts kill them (at least in Midwest and northern areas) and then they tend to take even longer to dry down and become palatable to deer.

You can avoid this problem by either planting ag beans along side your forage beans (I like separate plantings rather then mixed because I think the smell of the turning beans tends to make deer avoid them all together and that doesn't bode well for a mix)

There are plenty of other crops that can achieve the same goal including corn, brassicas, winter rye, alfalfa and so on. Here in Iowa when temps drop and the combines start rolling deer flock to the spilled grain as they seek out the high energy the plentiful grain sources provide.

IMG_0037.jpg

That means for many of us in farm country we must fight fire with fire and make every attempt to provide a source of grain that is in a safe secure environment. If then you have the capabilities to plant soybeans and/or corn I strongly encourage you to consider planting some varieties that will dry down BEFORE October 1st so that you have a means of competing with neighboring, naturally attractive food sources from agricultural crops.

Some years ago a friend of mine who is by the way a very knowledgeable and competent hunter with many P&Y and several B&C bucks to his record...noticed that suddenly it seemed there was not a deer to be found as he hunted the harvested crop fields.

A little scouting led him to a 20 acre standing soybean field, (dried down ready to harvest ) hidden next to a large stand of timber, every deer in the area had moved to that field in mid November and within days he had killed a 170+ buck.

I can't promise you a huge buck but I can promise you this...if you don't have feed to hold your whitetails in November....someone else will kill the one that went somewhere else to feed.

Don't rely solely on one food source, plant multiple crops that will overlap and hold deer on your property year around because deer won't hang around long with nothing to eat... ;)

It appears that my electric fence is going to work and that will allow me to start planting corn again but by golly...

The electric fence will cure that problem.... ;)

Can you elaborate on the electric fence option? We have the same problem with corn and soy beans in our plots, deer never let them get more than a few inches tall. Do you simply add an electric fence around the plots and it keeps them out? The picture showed that you maybe had a single strand line and then a double strand line? We have some plots (2 - 4 acres) that would be turned to beans or corn if we could get them protected long enough to get some growth.

Can you elaborate on the electric fence option? We have the same problem with corn and soy beans in our plots, deer never let them get more than a few inches tall. Do you simply add an electric fence around the plots and it keeps them out? The picture showed that you maybe had a single strand line and then a double strand line? We have some plots (2 - 4 acres) that would be turned to beans or corn if we could get them protected long enough to get some growth.

I have more info in the milo thread because I planted a milo/soybean combination and fenced to protect the beans.

Basically fencing out deer with electric fencing involves a 3 wire 2 fence method although I did have a couple jumpers so I am going to a 5 wire/2 fence next year.

It cost roughly $500 to get started with a solar powered fencer, posts and poly wire (poly wire or poly tape work better for visibility)

Fencer.jpg

Space the two fences roughly 3 feet apart

Fence1.jpg

The first wire forces deer to either go under or over and then they find themselves in contact with the other two.

Fence2.jpg

Steel post are really only needed on the corners unless one chooses to use the 5 wire system and then 6 ' T posts allow you to go higher on the inside fence.

I'll be changing mine over this coming spring

IMG_0017.jpg

Be sure to ground the fencer good with a 4-6' ground rod and it's helpful to use some aluminum foil and peanut butter to get curious deer to test the fence.

I'm sold on fencing now! :way:

Thanks for the great info! I used Plot Saver a couple years ago and it worked ok, but you have to keep reapplying the spray. This looks like a lot better option when its an 1 1/2 hour trip to your ground.

Mike sent a couple pics from up WI way....just down right pretty!

Summer....

2010planting107.jpg

Fall...

2010planting220.jpg

Harvest time and deer are rolling in feed as the combines go to work!

IMG_0003.jpg

As the weather gets colder they programmed to seek out high energy food sources like corn, beans, milo and acorns as they pack on as much fat as they can. As crop fields are turned from stubble to dirt via fall tillage whitetails seek out whatever grain sources may be left and even a small field could fill up with 40-50 deer by late November or early December.

It would seem a "no brainer" then to plant corn and beans and be over run with deer each fall! Small plots of corn and beans however are usually wiped out before summers end making them a poor choice for many small plotters.

Electric fencing has changed all that because both corn and beans can be planted with out large equipment using ordinary discs or tillers and broadcasting seed...food for thought if your budget can handle $500 for a solar fencer, posts and poly wire.... ;)

Good info Paul. Thanks! When you say "small fields"...would 5-7 acres be considered too small to feel comfortable leaving without fence?

Never tried to plant that large a field before but next spring had planned on planting a 7 acre field I have with switch surrounding it (1 acre total) and 6 acres of beans in the center to be left all year.

Good info Paul. Thanks! When you say "small fields"...would 5-7 acres be considered too small to feel comfortable leaving without fence?

Never tried to plant that large a field before but next spring had planned on planting a 7 acre field I have with switch surrounding it (1 acre total) and 6 acres of beans in the center to be left all year.

Every farm is different of course but on mine, (also surrounded by switchgrass) they wipe out 6 acres of corn by the 4th of July at worse and by October 1st at best.

Beans don't have a prayer of getting over a few inches high on 6 acres....without fence.

Can't say you will have the same problem at first but eventually they will adapt and clean you out without fence....;)

Harvest time....the fields are littered with spilled grain and....deer

CIMG1796.jpg

While chopping stalks I couldn't help but notice how much corn has shattered and covered the ground

Spilledgrain.jpg

as the sun dropped lower they started popping out into the corn stubble

CIMG1801.jpg

Despite the roar of the tractor and mower shredding the stalks they kept coming out, completely unfazed by the racket

Deerincorn.jpg

Next year this farm will be all in native warm season grasses with the exception of soybean and corn food plots strategically sandwiched between thick bedding cover and insulated by the NWSG.

That combination is nearly impossible to top... :way:

These thoughts could be relevant to any food source but since these pictures are of soybeans I'll post them here.

The landowner leases the crop land out to a farmer and then has the farmer leave standing crops....expensive but effective for certain and anyone could do well to have a similar situation. Having said that there are some problems with this set up...

I took these pictures from the road if that tells you anything...

IMG_0086.jpg

In the late season there is no question that a load of deer are going to hit these standing crops but will a mature buck be as likely to come out into these fields before dark?

IMG_0085.jpg

I have no doubt they will have some successful hunts but I wanted to share simply as a way to show others how you can make your property better and your hunting more successful. If they had screening along the road or better yet screening around the standing crops (standing corn, Egyptian Wheat, shrub plantings etc.) then mature animals would feel safer and more importantly be safe from poachers...something that is a huge problem in my area.

The problem here is that eventually deer are going to decimate these crops and then what? What will hold deer on this farm? Since my farm is literally next door what keeps deer on my place from moving to theirs?

My food sources are hidden and safe, I don't shoot deer in the plots and I have food sources year around in each plot so deer adapt to having ALL their needs met and they have no reason to investigate any neighboring farms. Doe groups feel safe and secure and their fawns adapt to that atmosphere and every day use the same runways because they NEVER run out of feed.

I have taken 5 deer already this season and not one of them was in a food plot, not a single deer blasted out among feeding deer on it's death charge so the survivors are non the wiser. Bucks of all ages and sizes feel safe and like the does adapt to being unmolested and find food sources within steps of bedding every single day of the year....NOT just during hunting season.

DSC02783.jpg

DSC02806.jpg

If you want to hold deer on your property...stop planting "shooting" plots, stop leaving them vulnerable to poachers and neighbors and stop forcing them to go elsewhere for food sources because you only have a plot to "hunt" deer over rather then hold them year around and lastly use caution to shoot A buck over a late season food source and not "adapt" them to the dangers of feeding there by shooting a 1/2 dozen deer there.... ;)

Excellent article in Quality Whitetails about...corn! SDSU has a captive deer herd and has studied how deer react to different corn varieties both while growing and after maturity and during the process came up to several conclusions.

While corn is green and growing, deer prefer early maturing hybrids versus late maturing, slower growing hybrids. Interesting to know because some years they would decimate my growing corn but less so in other years although at the time I paid no attention to the maturity dates.

Later maturing hybrids had higher ear heights and deer in winter preferred ears that were higher and had more of the ear exposed. Since most of us grow corn to attract deer later in the season it would seem wise to choose later maturing hybrids unless wet spring weather required a short season corn.

Occasionally we see very short season (short growing) corn being advertised but that would not be best option for most of us.

Some other notes that were observed...

Deer prefer weed free corn over weedy areas when given a choice and they also preferred heavily fertilized corn over that that received little or no fertilizer. Deer also preferred the "edge" of the corn and of course as we all know, deer are creatures of the edge and love to travel and feed along the edge of timber and field, largely because of the food sources available there of course but they are adapted to seeking out the edges.

Where possible then, planting corn in long narrow plots of strips or alternating rows with soybeans or other crops might be more attractive. I have found this doesn't work well unless you can fence it because deer will decimate the alternating rows of beans but with fencing it would work very well.

Corn provides screening and cover while soybeans can make up for the lower protein in the corn. In unfenced areas a larger block of corn would last longer into winter then narrow strips so it depends on your needs and goals as to which might work best.

On a slightly different note I would encourage everyone to plant one large centrally located plot, and then plant multiple crops within it that will feed deer year around.

Here's an example a portion of my farm showing 2 small fields that are adjacent and centrally located between bedding areas and surrounded by NWSG (where crops are shown in the picture) The colors are just showing Corn Suitability Rating and soil types... ;)

FoodPlots95.png

In this case I will rotate corn and beans between the two small fields, both of which will be fenced and the plots ringed with white clover. The soybeans will be overseeded with winter rye and GHFR to allow me to provide year around feed. Note the location in relation to water (farm pond) and what you can see here is the fact that the entire feeding area is in a low area hidden from roads and human activity.

Corn is not for everyone but it has many merits that make it one of my favorites and now that I have the electric fencing figured out...it's back at the top of my list! :way:

it's back at the top of my list! :way:[/QUOTE]
:) So will you be trying the corn and soybean alternate rows again now that overbrowse is not an issue? :way:
IMG_1283-1.jpg

it's back at the top of my list! :way:
:) So will you be trying the corn and soybean alternate rows again now that overbrowse is not an issue? :way:
IMG_1283-1.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I'll plant beans by themselves and corn and beans together and compare how they do...:way:

Top Bottom