Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

RUT ACTIVITY UPDATES?

• Deleted by Ishi
Show…
I would have to agree that the switch flipped. I froze my hind end off last night. Had on small doe come through with a small 6 pt trailing a ways behind her with his nose to the ground. That is all I saw from the stand.
The 7 mile drive home was a different story. Three bucks at separate locations crossed the road in front of me nose to the ground oblivious to the vehicle. All the does I saw were acting very nervous and seemingly on edge -Mahaska Co.

Hunted tonight, in a place where I would not expect to see large numbers...but could get a nice shot at a good one. It was one of those nights where I felt like the wind direction was favorable and all, but it seemed like my scent was detected by a buck where he shouldn't have been able to get it. Poop.

I had a doe coming with the classic "something is following me" actions AND I had jumped a lone fawn near the stand. Could this doe be the temporarily occupied momma? That's how it looked to me. Perfect situation.

But...he's still alive tonight...as he got all funky about 45 yards away and wisely scooted away...leaving the doe...so I am sure he was spooking from me. I think the wind swirls in that location and I wonder if I could alleviate this by cutting down some downwind trees this winter.

My feeling is that the trees in that area may be blocking the wind and leading to swirling. Oh well. I checked a couple cams and the following and chasing is definitely increased.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Daylight to dark but switched spots at 3. 7 bucks and not a single doe. Most were just wondering around. New spot tomorrow with my son. Hoping for a good one.

Daylight to dark but switched spots at 3. 7 bucks and not a single doe. Most were just wondering around. New spot tomorrow with my son. Hoping for a good one.

I saw 11 bucks and 21 does with 0 chasing and just a very small amount of “rutting” activity. At dark had 11 does and 5 bucks in a clover field and they paid no attention to one another

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The majority of my movement has been in the first and last 2 hours of the day. Pretty sure EHD killed every mature buck on my Warren county property, doe population took a big hit too. I haven't had a mature buck on this farm since September/August, which is absolutely crazy. I expect to find quite a few dead heads this shed season. On my other properties I haven't seen a mature buck in 8 days of hunting. Tough, tough year so far. Putting time in stand waiting on a random buck is my strategy at this point. It gets better every day though, so I'll be hunting hard!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Finally had some chasing this morning. Nice 3.5 year old with 6 does. he was doing a pretty good job of keeping them corralled, but they must have thought he was a stud anyway since when he left chasing one all of the others followed. . . . . .

What part of warren county are you in? My farm by new Virginia is a ghost town. Haven’t seen much and normally is full of deer. I’m hunting a farm north of 92 by pleasantville and deer numbers seem to be better there.

What part of warren county are you in? My farm by new Virginia is a ghost town. Haven’t seen much and normally is full of deer. I’m hunting a farm north of 92 by pleasantville and deer numbers seem to be better there.
The epicenter of the whitetail nuclear bomb right there.

Northern part.

Heard some antlers clacking not too far away. So I put the horns together for the first time this year and promptly rattled in this up and coming 3 year old.

It's dead calm and for the most part, deer are just moseying...no chasing seen yet. But I could still kill one here tonight. We'll see.
106a646e7b08d0402db8f9e88a2efef7.jpg

The majority of my movement has been in the first and last 2 hours of the day. Pretty sure EHD killed every mature buck on my Warren county property, doe population took a big hit too. I haven't had a mature buck on this farm since September/August, which is absolutely crazy. I expect to find quite a few dead heads this shed season. On my other properties I haven't seen a mature buck in 8 days of hunting. Tough, tough year so far. Putting time in stand waiting on a random buck is my strategy at this point. It gets better every day though, so I'll be hunting hard!

Same here. Haven't seen a single doe all november

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Drove along the Cedar River to Solon around 11 am, two does bedded under multi flora rose right next the road. My guess is they were trying to avoid pesky bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just passed my 5th buck of the afternoon. 3 of them were pencil racks, an interesting 2 year old(has unusual mass and a broken left ear...so we should be able to track that one easy) and one nice 3 year old.

Pretty much all deer just walking slowly through the timber, nothing crazy. A little bit of following, but no running. Did have a grinner approach, sounded like a giant buck in the leaves.

Gotta go..I see a bobcat chasing squirrels...I am going to try to call it in.

Had a 4 yr old buck chasing a doe all thru our crp. He ran a couple younger bucks off then went back to her and hunkered down. Did that 2 or 3 times. Never got closer than 100 yards

Seems like your either in the action or it’s pretty dead

Just saw my first chase of the year...unfortunately it was two raccoons. :) I am in a good spot though...let's see what happens.

Top Bottom