Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rye mix question

Anyone try adding soybeans to their fall rye mix? I've got a bag of seed leftover and thought about just using it in this falls rye mix.

Should be similar to the forage peas recommended in Dbltrees rotation. They won't set pods that late but are attractive green grazing. Ya got the seed, go for it! Good luck!

I have used leftover testplot seed or treated beans to "get rid of them" for several years, instead of the peas in dbltree mix and as above stated is less cost and works great!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I was thinking of doing this in a plot this fall. Rye oats radishes soybeans. Next year I wanted to plant this into soybeans in the spring. Would this be considered beans two years in a row? I wanted to avoid any issues following beans with beans.
Thanks

I've done beans on beans a number of times on a couple of plots. Only problems I've encountered is Roundup Ready beans too many years in a row leads to RR ragweed! Switched to Liberty beans and now have Liberty resistant velvetleaf. For food plots, I think you need to keep up with fertilizer needs and switch off on herbicides.

Many times when you grow the same plant you have more diseases, insect problems, and can even have weed control issues. That is why in production ag, yields typically are better in a rotated(corn-bean) scenario. Since you aren't farming for top yields, and more of a sustainable food source, goals are different and you may never notice the yield decrease in short term or for first several years. Plus if have the deer pressure we do, your beans will never make maturity or produce seeds unless you build a fence around them!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Soybeans be good. I would not skip out on winter peas. Soybeans be toast after couple frosts. Winter peas keep going.
**In regards to tolerance.... ya- I’ve been running Liberty beans but I’ve run 2-3 pre-emergents. On second spray - especially because of velvet leaf- I run a PPO &/or fomesafen + Liberty + metolachlor or acelachlor. Is that a complex combo??? Yes and no. It’s really not. The world we live in.... it’s needed because of the major tolerance problems. BUT- it’s a 2 pass weed free spraying 95% of the time. Only adjustment I might make if I was gonna turn beans into fall plots- I might leave out fomesafen or only do it on 1st spray. One would need to look at another option like more aggressive ppo or spray liberty & ppo when velvet leaf is very small. I hate that stuff!!!

But- back to original - rye mix is fun cause u fundamentally can add any legume & most “left over seed” & kinda fun to see what does what. Experiment a little. Another killer seed to add is cowpeas/iron clay. It’s toast early like beans though. Will grow in the Sahara desert I bet too! ;). Drought tolerant, tender & faster growing.

I was looking up at Welters the cost of AWP is only $40 a bag so very competitive with beans, being cold tolerant makes them the deal closer and the way to go IMO, Possibly mix some beans you have left over for attraction possibly.

Soybeans be good. I would not skip out on winter peas. Soybeans be toast after couple frosts. Winter peas keep going.
**In regards to tolerance.... ya- I’ve been running Liberty beans but I’ve run 2-3 pre-emergents. On second spray - especially because of velvet leaf- I run a PPO &/or fomesafen + Liberty + metolachlor or acelachlor. Is that a complex combo??? Yes and no. It’s really not. The world we live in.... it’s needed because of the major tolerance problems. BUT- it’s a 2 pass weed free spraying 95% of the time. Only adjustment I might make if I was gonna turn beans into fall plots- I might leave out fomesafen or only do it on 1st spray. One would need to look at another option like more aggressive ppo or spray liberty & ppo when velvet leaf is very small. I hate that stuff!!!

But- back to original - rye mix is fun cause u fundamentally can add any legume & most “left over seed” & kinda fun to see what does what. Experiment a little. Another killer seed to add is cowpeas/iron clay. It’s toast early like beans though. Will grow in the Sahara desert I bet too! ;). Drought tolerant, tender & faster growing.

Skip,

So do you recommend winter peas over the 4010 forge peas? I know there is quite the price difference, but have you noticed it to be worth it?

Winter peas. Forage peas r not a late planter. Most likely be toast the second u have a good frost. Could do both though.

Top Bottom