Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

SC Iowa- ELK on Camera!!!!

"DNR is trying to kill him but can't catch up to him yet"

You cant legally shoot one, but they want to kill it...... Doesnt make sense to me

Cannot legally shoot an elk, bear or wolf in Iowa. Mountain lions have no such protection though.
Bear, like mountain lions, are not protected in Iowa. DNR recommends not shooting a bear if it is minding it's own business and not causing problems. Wolf, >50% white piebald deer, albino deer, elk and moose are protected.

"DNR is trying to kill him but can't catch up to him yet"

You cant legally shoot one, but they want to kill it...... Doesnt make sense to me

I think they are worried about disease transmission. It might have traveled here because something is wrong with it. It could have escaped from an elk farm, where there might have been CWD. Thus, they feel safer killing it. Not sure I agree 100%, but I can understand.

I think last time someone shot a moose in Iowa they were prosecuted. Now DNR wants an elk killed and a local CO is making deals for the meat??? Would be happy to shoot if seen, but am certain last elk I remember shot in SW Iowa was also prosecuted! WTF? Shotgun season is coming up & if elk is still in Iowa, it's likely to get seen! Think it's time for DNR to get their "poop in a group" and decide how to deal with situation AND THEN MAKE IT PUBLIC!!!! Happy to help but not really looking to get prosecuted for it! :eek:

So I just got permission to shoot a rouge cow on the same farm from the owner. Who's up for a good old fashion cow drive!?

I think last time someone shot a moose in Iowa they were prosecuted. Now DNR wants an elk killed and a local CO is making deals for the meat??? Would be happy to shoot if seen, but am certain last elk I remember shot in SW Iowa was also prosecuted! WTF? Shotgun season is coming up & if elk is still in Iowa, it's likely to get seen! Think it's time for DNR to get their "poop in a group" and decide how to deal with situation AND THEN MAKE IT PUBLIC!!!! Happy to help but not really looking to get prosecuted for it! :eek:

I'm with you on that one. You won't see me taking a shot at an Iowa elk without specific written permission for it. Moose either. It is very well written what the law and fines are so free pass from me.

Bear, like mountain lions, are not protected in Iowa. DNR recommends not shooting a bear if it is minding it's own business and not causing problems. Wolf, >50% white piebald deer, albino deer, elk and moose are protected.

Oooops. You are right Randy, bears are open season. Huh, I thought I remembered a time where someone shot one in iowa and got in trouble. Guess not.

When I was talking to the CO about the elk I saw he was kind of a douche at first. Telling me I couldn't shoot, which I already knew, it but he would. In later conversation he was nicer about it explaining the last time they gave a hunter permission to shoot they put a bad shot on the animal and it was never recovered. They 100% want it dead for testing.

Maybe this saturday ur phones will explode with the text message “possible new world record shot in Iowa” and this “deer” will be in some lucky hunters shogun group picture?!?!

Maybe this saturday ur phones will explode with the text message “possible new world record shot in Iowa” and this “deer” will be in some lucky hunters shogun group picture?!?!

Wouldn't be the first elk shot in Iowa during the opening weekend of shotgun season! Last one was before "texting" though... :rolleyes:

He's apparently moved some and was videoed & photographed from a deer stand in Montgomery county last weekend... Didn't personally see him but the guy who lives next to my farm videoed him easily within range. No, he didn't shoot him! I think that bull is looking for the a certain cat loving Montgomery County resident (aka Teenage Hunter) to get revenge for some missing relatives... :mad: :rolleyes:

He's apparently moved some and was videoed & photographed from a deer stand in Montgomery county last weekend... Didn't personally see him but the guy who lives next to my farm videoed him easily within range. No, he didn't shoot him! I think that bull is looking for the a certain cat loving Montgomery County resident (aka Teenage Hunter) to get revenge for some missing relatives... :mad: :rolleyes:
Be insane if same animal. That's a huge distance away. I posted it was same animal on FB but I'm not sure not.

Maybe the DNR’s “black helicopters” are dropping 5 point bulls all over the state??? :confused: ;)
Off topic but a single engine plane flew over us Saturday extremely slow and low. Someone mentioned it could be the DNR, do they do this? Never had a visitor meet up with us on the ground so I had my doubts.

Top Bottom