Scope suggestions?

Discussion in 'Muzzleloading and Traditional Archery' started by ArrowSlinger, Jul 10, 2020.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. ArrowSlinger

ArrowSlinger Member

What size scope/ brand does everyone recommend for a smokeless muzzeloader scope..gonna be a 300 to 350 yd gun 4-16x44 is what I was thinking maybe..the vortex viper hs-t or the crossfire II 4-26x50 strictly a hunting muzzeloader so looking to see if either of them are good or what all you more experienced shooters prefer! Thanks

2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. Fastfreddy16

Fastfreddy16 New Member

I've always been a fan of a 50mm lens just for field of view and pulling in light. As far as magnification that will be totally up to your liking! Be prepared to get a lot of different opinions on this subject!

FF

4. Tmayer13

Tmayer13 PMA Member

From what Ive seen/heard Vortex has a hard time holding up on the smokeless...they physically break them. The guy who built my gun said there are only 3 scopes that hold up. Leupold, Nightforce, and Sightron. He recommended to me putting the Sightron on mine so thats what I went with. I believe mine is a 4-20x50 Sightron tactical. The best part is the scope is very economically priced. I told him that I am more than happy spending a grand+ on an optic and he continued to recommend the sightron. Tactical turret for dialing in those long ranges.

5. IowaBowHunter1983

IowaBowHunter1983 Super Moderator Staff Member

I would never put a vortex on a smokeless. Been there, done that. Didnt last a dozen shots and that was a $1,200 scope. You can find countless other people online with same exact story.

I personally run the luepold VX6HD. Other good options mentioned above in either price range direction.

6. Swampy_44

Swampy_44 Member

I think the gen II vortex does not stand well with smokeless. But the original vortex do fine. I have a sightron s-tac moa 2 4x20 on my smokeless, very nice scope. Seems to be holding up well.

7. chipterp

chipterp PMA Member

Leupold vx5hd for me. Love the lighted reticle !

8. 150 Class

150 Class Moderator

This! Good mid range scopes include the right Vortex or Sightron. Sightron S-tac and SIII do great, and some Vortex do too. I am a fan of the 50ML lens as stated by fastfreddy.