Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Scoutguard SG550 camera question

waltrogers

Ms Delta
Reviews for the HCO Scoutguard SG550 digital IR camera look pretty good at about $200. I'd like to hear your thoughts on this camera if you have any experience with it. Or maybe you know of a camera you think is better...that would be interesting to hear, also.

I'd like to put out a camera or two soon without spending an arm and a leg.

Thanks in advance.

walt,
I would give the the moultrie I40 a serious look.
I have all the major cameras and one thing I know the moultrie will always get the pic.
no camera on the market has the battery life of moultrie.
no p41, not cudde, not cell socout no a wildlife eye.
we just checked 2 in illinois last weekend and between the 2 there was over 2000 pics and they had been there all summer.
doug

walt,

I have six 550's. Just received the last two a few days ago. As of yesterday, the original 4 have been out filming for a little over a month and a half. All on high traffic runways, all capturing on the everage of 12-15 20 second videos/day. All the cams are on their original set of batteries, all have at least half their battery life left.

I have two 2GB SD Cards for each cam. Every 4 days or so I make my rounds and swap out cards. The whole process takes about 10 seconds/camera.

I can speak to the camera's video capability only, since I have yet to take a single still picture with them (3-5MP). Personally,I think you run the risk of missing a lot snapping a single picture. With the resolution set at 640x280, I can get 240 15sec videos on a 2GB sd card. The camera's 1.2 second trigger time is good for walking targets...a little slow for faster ones (if the cam is set perpendicular to the trail. Turning the camera so that it faces the trail at an angle fixes that problem. The vids are sharp and clear, both daylight and night time IR images. Sensitivity is great. I've had many triggers caused by deer 25 yards+ from the camera....and that's with the sensitivity set at Medium. Frame rate is good at 16FPS with resolution at 640x280.

The camera is about the size of a beer can. Rediculously small. It straps to the tree with a friction-type buckle and strap. The strap IMO is too short, but that is easily fixed.

Awesome camera....buy one....or six /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I seen some IR pics from these cameras and I thought they looked like crap? But the video I have seen is awesome!

Anyone have any night pictures and day pictures to post?

I agree with ParaOps, I won't use it for anything but the video. I am hooked on the videos now. The IR pictures are fine but mine will stay set on video... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Top Bottom