Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Second season tom

deerhunter93

Saturday morning Dad and I headed south to the normal turkey spot. We got setup at the "killing tree" around 5:20am and quietly waited for the woods to to wake up. First gobble was later than expected but the birds started gobbling pretty good after that. They were all roosted in a big valley that they normally aren't in and no birds roosted in the normal spots. Once the birds hit the ground they shut up and headed away from us. A few fired up later in the morning but a hunter on the neighboring property was calling non stop and ended those chances. We packed up and left around 11:30 on Saturday.

Sunday morning it was just me heading south. It was literally a perfect morning - calm, clear, and cool. I was to the tree around 5am and sat quiet until 5:50am when gobbles started ringing out all around me. I had two that were roosted about 150 yards away and were hammering pretty good but headed the opposite way when they flew down. Unlike Saturday, the birds kept hammering after fly down which made for a fun morning. A little before 7am I heard walking to my right and saw a turkey heading my way through the timber at about 40 yards. I could hear spitting and drumming and saw three toms heading my way with the middle one strutting. I waited until they got about 25 yards and saw the last one looked to have a longer beard. A little cluck to get his head up and that was all she wrote!

This tom marks the 50th bird shot between Dad, Dakota, and I. The stats:

19 lbs 10 oz
1 inch spurs
11 inch beard

IMG_20170423_141914_100.jpg

20170423_080600.jpg

Top Bottom