Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Senate version of NRLO bill SSB 3129

On a somewhat positive note I received a call and another email from 2 legislators that are opposed to these bills. After a short and pleasant conversation this legislator gets it and it was very refreshing to hear.

Jdub
How many tags would it take for you to effectively "manage" your deer herd and eliminate the possibilities of disease and whatever else it is you are so concerned about? What number would make you happy?

If I was a NRLO with a doe problem i would come down and just recruit a bunch of locals that want to blast the crap out of does and drink some beer afterwords. Sounds like a lot of fun and management problem solved.

....more than one way to skin a cat.

Exactly what I did as a resident landowner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Iowa gave you 10 doe tags and 0 buck tags would that solve the issue in your eyes?

*5 doe tags would be a really good start! Every state should allow for hunters to manage the doe numbers, most states already do!

Right. Let’s spend a bunch of money then employ a crew of “ locals” to hunt your property. Lol. How many resident landowners are in on that proposition??? None.

Three things are guaranteed in life: death, taxes, and change. The key is to be ahead of change.

So there is no magic number and you just like bitching about there being too much milk in your Cheerios? I get it now. Lol

I let about 15-18 guys shoot does this year on my farms. Had a rare, unique but important need/mission to pile up some major does on one particular farm. Guys I trusted &/or felt good about. 0 shed bucks or button bucks shot. A pile of does shot. It wasn’t perfect with that many people but it worked well for most part. 2-3 members here shot some does. A normal year- it’s more like 3-4 guys shooting some does. If u find trustworthy folks- a lot of willing people who will help manage land. Also- the guys NR’s that hunted with or around me filled doe tags on my land or surrounding as well. I let one shoot an old buck and 5 mins later had a big fat doe down.

You know you take a lot of liberties. Is it 15 to 18 guys that shoot does, or 20 to 50% nrlo ownership
, or 6 to 15 counties you farm. I know exactly who hunted my farm lastyear. Numbers are everywhere. Do you know the numbers?

I think you make it up as you go. NRLOs are decent people. I’m tired of being bashed by the same old resident hunters who claim the sky will fall with change.

Last edited:
NRLO are great people. In general. Read any post every I’ve posted. I think this site will probably have the friendliest view towards NR’s. We just don’t want our laws changed. We want Iowa regs left alone. We have enough issues as it is with regs as they are.

Don’t wanna make this about me but.... Yes- I had 15-18 guys. Ballpark. I think within 24 hours - some members might see this and say “ya, I shot does of Sligh’s place”. & yes, those same guys would know my home area is probably, heck, 50-60% NRLO’s (yes, ag farms in about 6-ish counties right now- nothing huge or amazing- just regular farm farms). I “farm”, have tree nursery & my job is at different farms every day of the week all day long.
We all get along great with NR’s! Friendly, we help eachother & if I’m not working my tail off- visit & help on any project I can for them. Uniquely- my farm- my neighboring landowner to North: Illinois & one resident. To East: Utah. To southeast: Illinois. Another East: Wisconsin. West: Arkansas. 2 resident land owners as well. So- ya, it’s more NRLO than anything. I just finished helping one NRLO with some chainsawing & farm machinery repair. Great folks!
By stating anything in this legislative debate- sure doesn’t mean I or anyone else doesn’t like NR’s!!! Heck- 5-6 of em stayed at my house this season ! They are my friends. So, please - take a bit of a step back and realize- very few don’t like NRLO’s. Most like them and are friends with them..... Our problem is with special interests, money, lobbyists all colluding with these Politicians to drive garbage down the throats of this fragile state & resource. We’ve sent the message 50,405,039,021 times to be exact (I counted and have a study on this ;) ) - LEAVE THE FRIGIN REGS ALONE!!!!! QUIT MESSING WITH THIS FRAGILE RESOURCE!!!!!

I feel its just like all other bills, just the beginning. If they start giving incentive to NRLO it will not stop. It WILL effect access and land prices. I believe you chose to own under the current rules and shouldnt complain. I am in no way in favor of outfitters getting any tags either.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

You know you take a lot of liberties. Is it 15 to 18 guys that shoot does, or 20 to 50% nrlo ownership
, or 6 to 15 counties you farm. I know exactly who hunted my farm lastyear. Numbers are everywhere. Do you know the numbers?

I think you make it up as you go. NRLOs are decent people. I’m tired of being bashed by the same old resident hunters who claim the sky will fall with change.

Those are called estimates.....no need to be precise. As a NRLO I can say Skip has been extremely helpful to me by way of knowledge and 1 of those big fat does he shot for me.

Can you tell me what will make you happy? How many tags and what type of tags?
20191117_123956.jpg

Everytime I read the word "manage" I throw a up a tiny bit in the back of my mouth. None of these bills are about "management", conservation, the wise use of natural resources or feeding one self on wild game. They're about shooting big bucks.
The only reason any of these NRs own land here is because they can buy it relatively cheap compared to what they can get back home in PA or wherever and a season structure that helps more bucks get bigger.
This isn't about managing shit. It does nothing to improve things for Iowa residents and hurts more then just hunters.

Everytime I read the word "manage" I throw a up a tiny bit in the back of my mouth. None of these bills are about "management", conservation, the wise use of natural resources or feeding one self on wild game. They're about shooting big bucks.
The only reason any of these NRs own land here is because they can buy it relatively cheap compared to what they can get back home in PA or wherever and a season structure that helps more bucks get bigger.
This isn't about managing shit. It does nothing to improve things for Iowa residents and hurts more then just hunters.
You are correct these have nothing to do with "management " Its special interests and money. In our county its very hard to access private land now. Alot of the better areas are leased by NR, owned by NR leased by Outfitters, some residents as well. Doe tags can be bought over the counter, but not many do because of the cost.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Right. Let’s spend a bunch of money then employ a crew of “ locals” to hunt your property. Lol. How many resident landowners are in on that proposition??? None.
I put people on both does (when needed) and management bucks. No need to employ. Lots of volunteers. ;)

I spend a ton on my farms. These folks do me a huge favor. Win-win.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom