Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Senate version of NRLO bill SSB 3129

Lol. Right. Do you own land ? Or, are you just blabbing like most??

I'm causally looking right now but not quite in the position where I feel comfortable popping for what I want. WTF does that have to do with it anyway? I don't have to have land to have a say in this. I'm the resident of the Iowa. I should and do have more say than a NR.

If bucks didn't have antlers we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Everytime I read the word "manage" I throw a up a tiny bit in the back of my mouth. None of these bills are about "management", conservation, the wise use of natural resources or feeding one self on wild game. They're about shooting big bucks.
The only reason any of these NRs own land here is because they can buy it relatively cheap compared to what they can get back home in PA or wherever .

That’s part of your own states fault ... you have created that . Don’t blame NR for that. The rules kept prices down and look how many took advantage of the lower prices.

If the prices were higher they may have looked elsewhere. I bought in originally @ 1100/acre. Steal, not my fault, the regs encouraged that. False market.

I am just being honest, I sell farms for a living, nobody can argue any different. It’s a fact.

Don’t blame NR, as Skip stated there will Be more guys buying if they can get guaranteed tag. I don’t disagree, but many have already bought. Prices were low, they bought in, bought up a lot ... I am a capitalist, I know a good buy when I see it. Prices have now trended higher. From 1995-2017 some great buys, not as much anymore... economy is too damn good, good job Trump!

I’ll give you guys credit for being tenacious and supporting your state. I agree with 90% of the IBA (very very good to have) but I just think a guy/owner should get tags more often, and should definitely allow doe tags ... doesn’t help the EHD situations . It contributes.

Good luck to all. Keep up the fight against rifles, crossbows, moving the season out of December ... I’m probably out of this now. Unless I’m attacked. Have fun shed hunting.

That’s part of your own states fault ... you have created that . Don’t blame NR for that. The rules kept prices down and look how many took advantage of the lower prices. Lower prices for the NR coming from and making their earning in a different market/economy.

If the prices were higher they may have looked elsewhere. I bought in originally @ 1100/acre. Steal, not my fault, the regs encouraged that. False market. Have to disagree somewhat about a false market. People buying farms for the express purpose of hunting is a relatively new phenomenon historically speaking. Deer pushed prices to where they are now. A lot of the ground in question would still be relatively cheap if there were no deer. It would be holding cattle or knocked down to produce some more marginal farm ground.

I am just being honest, I sell farms for a living, nobody can argue any different. It’s a fact. I appreciate your confirmation of my original statement.

Don’t blame NR, as Skip stated there will Be more guys buying if they can get guaranteed tag. I don’t disagree, but many have already bought. Prices were low, they bought in, bought up a lot ... I am a capitalist, I know a good buy when I see it. Prices have now trended higher. From 1995-2017 some great buys, not as much anymore... economy is too damn good, good job Trump! Don't blame anyone for buying. I have problem when they try to change the rules. I get pissed when they hire lobbyist to get in the ear of people who are supposed to represent resident interest. Not that it's a fair comparison but how would you like it if a bunch of NR's bought cabins around you're favorite fishing lake up there and then started lobbying to change your regs for their benefit? How do you think those miners up near the boundary waters feel about all the outsiders protesting the new mines?

I’ll give you guys credit for being tenacious and supporting your state. I agree with 90% of the IBA (very very good to have) but I just think a guy/owner should get tags more often, and should definitely allow doe tags ... doesn’t help the EHD situations . It contributes. I've stated here before that I don't care for land owner tags of any kind. It was no big deal when they were for farmers that just wanted to hunt their ground. Now they're another incentive that pushes prices up and encourages the NRLO to try and change our rules. Maybe I can find a Democrat to introduce a bill to end them.;) EHD isn't the problem. It just feels like one when you have high deer density and drought. CWD could be another issue. I wonder what would happen to land prices and the NRLO if all the deer, especially big bucks, where gone?

Good luck to all. Keep up the fight against rifles, crossbows, moving the season out of December ... I’m probably out of this now. Unless I’m attacked. Have fun shed hunting.
Not an attack. Just making my point. It's that time of year. How much do you think the average hunter is going to care about rifles, crossbows or hunting regs at all if they don't have any place to hunt?

Last edited:
REMEMBER FOLKS.... We can throw away our "R's" & "D's" in this discussion. To be honest, the gun lobby makes me sick with what they are pushing in Iowa's Deer regulations. SENATOR CELSI (D) out of des moines called me tonight. What a leader and a fighter. This woman gets it. I'd vote for her in a heartbeat. I told her I'm generally on the right side of the isle. I told her I'm sick and tired of many "R's" want to sell our deer hunting out & sell out to the gun lobby who is looking to prop up sagging gun sales, at the detriment of our resource. There's fantastic folks on both sides of the isle & thank you Senator Celsi!!!

Anyone else see that SSB3129 has made it out of subcommittee with the recommendation to amend and pass to the full committee? The time to contact the senators is NOW!

Anyone else see that SSB3129 has made it out of subcommittee with the recommendation to amend and pass to the full committee? The time to contact the senators is NOW!

Also of note is the Farm Bureau has registered against this bill. The identical House version, HF 2190, hasn't even had a subcommittee appointed yet and FB hasn't registered on that bill, even though it's the same bill. Interesting politics going on. I'd like to know what FB is after.

Also of note is the Farm Bureau has registered against this bill. The identical House version, HF 2190, hasn't even had a subcommittee appointed yet and FB hasn't registered on that bill, even though it's the same bill. Interesting politics going on. I'd like to know what FB is after.

Very interesting!

Sunday I sent 32 emails and heard back from three! I was hoping for a better response.

Farmer at work today had the radio on AM 950. There was 2 or 3 legislators on there pumping this bill up as great for the economy and needed for completely over populated deer herds.

Well, at Skips numbers, which are inflated but let’s use them, you have 50% NRLO farms in all the counties he farms; with inadequate management practices under the current regs. The result is over population and risk of ehd and cwd. The legislators got this right

Well, at Skips numbers, which are inflated but let’s use them, you have 50% NRLO farms in all the counties he farms; with inadequate management practices under the current regs. The result is over population and risk of ehd and cwd. The legislators got this right
Yet many NRLO won't let residents come shoot does... hmmmmm. Can't complain and not be willing to entertain a perfectly viable option.

It's no different than a few resident farmers I've run into that bitch and gripe that they want all the deer dead, but then wont allow any deer hunting. Illogical.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Absolutely not. Not over running my place with residents because I can’t manage my property I own. It’s ridiculous. I do permit my resident neighbor and his son in law to hunt. Doesn’t cut it.

Yet many NRLO won't let residents come shoot does... hmmmmm. Can't complain and not be willing to entertain a perfectly viable option.

It's no different than a few resident farmers I've run into that bitch and gripe that they want all the deer dead, but then wont allow any deer hunting. Illogical.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I let locals hunt on mine. Plus I bring friends, but we have a lot of deer-- Loess Hills. Between my very good neighbor Brad (Hillrunner) we shot (around 12-13 deer, obviously he shot more) on close to 600 acres. There is a resident that doesn't hunt much to the east, his farm is full of deer. We counted 48 in his beans in one evening, and we saw about 200 total in the 3 sections that evening.

The local farmers also say, Go shoot some deer, and I say yeah I will fill my (tag)...

Are local residents seeking spots to shoot does?...can they not get permission to hunt does, or shoot them on public land? Just asking?

Absolutely not. Not over running my place with residents because I can’t manage my property I own. It’s ridiculous. I do permit my resident neighbor and his son in law to hunt. Doesn’t cut it.
Answer this one question. Don't ignore it like you have everything else. Did you buy land in Iowa because of OUR buck quality? Did you buy land in IOWA with the hope of Big Bucks?! Its a yes or no question. Please answer.

I let locals hunt on mine. Plus I bring friends, but we have a lot of deer-- Loess Hills. Between my very good neighbor Brad (Hillrunner) we shot (around 12-13 deer, obviously he shot more) on close to 600 acres. There is a resident that doesn't hunt much to the east, his farm is full of deer. We counted 48 in his beans in one evening, and we saw about 200 total in the 3 sections that evening.

The local farmers also say, Go shoot some deer, and I say yeah I will fill my (tag)...

Are local residents seeking spots to shoot does?...can they not get permission to hunt does, or shoot them on public land? Just asking?
Lots of farms here a group or individual that had permission dictates who hunts. Not the landowner. 90% keep it for themselves. I for 1 dont feel like dragging a doe out 1/2 mile on public very often

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

You've been busting skip about inflating or estimating his numbers. How about your claim of no nonresident landowners in your area? Must not be counting your relative that owns just the east and a few other parcels NE. What about the Georgia neighbor directly to your SE across the road? Or the 3 Wisconsin landowners 2 miles East. That was 10 minutes of looking and only went one direction.
They’re correct
Sorry bud but I dont trust you to determine what is overpopulated for a deer herd. Dont think you have a clue about what's going on around your land. You've claimed over and over no other nonresident landowners and
you've been busting skip about inflating or estimating his numbers. How about your claim of no nonresident landowners in your area? Must not be counting your relative that owns just the east and a few other parcels NE. What about the Georgia neighbor directly to your SE across the road? Or the 3 Wisconsin landowners 2 miles East. That was 10 minutes of looking and only went one direction.

I don’t know one NRLO near me. Period. The “guy” to my East is my brother who doesn’t hunt lol we invest together. That’s a stretch I think. If there is a guy from Georgia 2 miles away that’s hardly 50%.

Again NRLOs aren’t bad people. Your inflexibility on this issue has created the non management issues and potential disease problems. You’ll force law makers to deal with it this year, next, whenever. It will be dealt with.

Last edited:
Top Bottom