Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

SF 2001 Youth tags

Should SF 2001 changes to youth deer season/tags be approved?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
I know of someone who takes his very young children out, the only part the kids have to do with the shot is he squeezes there finger between his and the trigger when shooting. He asked the dnr officer and was told it was ok.
I don't have strong feelings about this but I wouldn't mind a few changes to avoid this. I just don't see how someone that young can possibly comprehend that they are taking an animals life.
My daughter is a youth tag Hunter and I think the season is plenty generous as it's set up currently.

I have no children, but support youth hunting whenever I can! They are allowed to hunt my farms as long as they are actually participating in the hunt!!. Waiting for the right shot, pulling the trigger, helping with the tracking as well as helping with the field dressing. If they aren't old enough to handle a knife, they aren't old enough to HUNT!!! Maybe pull a trigger, but hunting is more than that!!! There area few adults that I won't allow because they couldn't gut a deer if they had to! All is dependant on trusting the adult with them. If I don't trust them, NO DEAL!!! Six or seven year olds kids gutting a deer? Not very often!!!

I have no children, but support youth hunting whenever I can! They are allowed to hunt my farms as long as they are actually participating in the hunt!!. Waiting for the right shot, pulling the trigger, helping with the tracking as well as helping with the field dressing. If they aren't old enough to handle a knife, they aren't old enough to HUNT!!! Maybe pull a trigger, but hunting is more than that!!! There area few adults that I won't allow because they couldn't gut a deer if they had to! All is dependant on trusting the adult with them. If I don't trust them, NO DEAL!!! Six or seven year olds kids gutting a deer? Not very often!!!
So should I make my wife gut her deer and turkeys? Does this mean I shouldn't take my daughter fishing if she can't clean a fish? When she learns to do that, I'll make sure she catches no pike whatsoever because there's no way she's getting that ybone out.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

You can do whatever you want with your wife & kids. Just sharing how I feel about it. My wife guts her own deer. I'll happily show a kid how to gut their first deer. They are required to watch closely though, cause I'm just going to talk them through doing it themself next time... I was also cleaning my own fish long before I was allowed to carry and shoot a gun. (Y bones aren't all that hard to get out with a little practice and a sharp knife. ;))

I see both sides of this discussion. With that being said......wow! There's both good and bad points on each side. My son is 9 yrs old now and has shot his fair share of long guns. He cleans his own muzzleloader, can break down and clean his 20 ga 870 and practices shooting as often as I let him. (We shoot at the house and knows he is only allowed to shoot under my supervision and me only.) He has now harvested 3 bucks and 2 does over 3 yrs, of those he has only gutted 1, it was a yealing doe he shot this yr during shotgun 1. He did sketchy at best gutting this deer but like everything else it takes time.
At the same time I know a guy who has takin his 11 yr old out for the last 2-3 yrs. I haven't been in the blind with him and his son but have watched him/them shoot. Not what I consider ideal conditions. When people talk about setting up tripod and having youth pull the trigger is a good example of what I believe goes on.
With that being said.....we as hunters are not growing in #'s. I know for each is different. What scares me is, if we don't get these youth, women and grown men who have never hunted involved when we can it may never happen.
I personally like the law as it stands right now.

You can do whatever you want with your wife & kids. Just sharing how I feel about it. My wife guts her own deer. I'll happily show a kid how to gut their first deer. They are required to watch closely though, cause I'm just going to talk them through doing it themself next time... I was also cleaning my own fish long before I was allowed to carry and shoot a gun. (Y bones aren't all that hard to get out with a little practice and a sharp knife. ;))
I agree. I did a whole lot of outdoor activities long before I ever hunted an animal. Took years of shooting sports thru 4H and tons of safety. I didn't actually hunt til I was 14 I think. My son's will be "behind" most of there friends when it comes to Shooting deer. If they are not able to manage a weapon independent of me and safely they will just have to wait and watch and practice. No field pods in my house

From the bill

"Currently, residents of Iowa who are at least 12 but no older than 16 years of age may obtain youth deer hunting licenses and
accompanying tags."

Ummm? I've bought tags for my sons as young as 8? Where did this come from? Did I miss something?

I certainly don't want to see any kind of state imposed minimum age. That's a parents decision.

• Deleted by bigbuckhunter88
Show…
  • Deleted by bigbuckhunter88
Show…
I think that means they have to be 12 to buy a hunting license since their hunter education certificate isn't valid until they are 12. There still should be no minimum age on tags.

Why not have some minimum requirement for age? There are 0 4 year olds capable harvesting an animal in the true spirit of hunting. It's not a " parents free pass to hunt thru youth" tag. It's supposed to be about teaching, experience, observation. Shouldn't they learn to understand the seriousness of taking that life? The work that goes into it? The responsibility? I sure think so. You can participate in lots of hunting as a kid without a tag.

Passed in the Senate today 49-0

A very dumb question haha, but does this mean that it is passed and will be put into the regs this upcoming year? Guess my question for all these proposed laws is, what are the steps through the whole process to get one of these proposals passed to law? Thanks!!!

A very dumb question haha, but does this mean that it is passed and will be put into the regs this upcoming year? Guess my question for all these proposed laws is, what are the steps through the whole process to get one of these proposals passed to law? Thanks!!!

It has passed the Senate and now the House needs to pass the bill. Some bills have a section that says the bill will be enacted immediately upon signature of the Governor. This one does not so if passed by the House and signed by the Gov it would take effect July 1st of this year.

As far as all the steps a bill needs to go through I'm still learning. The basic process is here: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/docs/publications/LP/696315.pdf but there are several times when I thought a bill was dead and it seems to magically resurface later and the opposite is true too, something I think is progressing through the system all of a sudden is dead.

So they way it states is that a youth hunter can use whatever weapon they want during any season? Rifle/shotgun during archery season? If so, oh my

So they way it states is that a youth hunter can use whatever weapon they want during any season? Rifle/shotgun during archery season? If so, oh my

Check out the last 2 lines of the updated version. States that the youth hunter can only use the weapon that is legal during that season. Just allows a youth hunter the ability to bow hunt with the tag and they also don’t need to choose between hunting first/second shotgun. Floating tag until it is filled. But method must be the same as the season they are hunting.

Top Bottom