Shooting deer from your own deck

Discussion in 'Whitetail Management' started by Novis1, Dec 11, 2019.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Novis1

Novis1 New Member

Hello all. I came across this site a few days ago and have found a lot of interesting reading on a variety of subjects. One of the older post was something about Is it illeagle to interfere with someones hunt. (Crazy story) Within that thread someone mentioned that you can shoot from your own porch (as long as you are not within the 200 yards of the neighbors house or feed lot....)

My question...Is it actually legal to do so. I was told that it was not legal and that the DNR was actively looking for people shooting fron their hous/decks. I could not find any regulation prohibiting it. If it is illegal where can I find that regulation/law.

I love getting out there in the woods and enjoyinh the hunt but I am also not opposed to putting meat in the freezer from the porch if the opportunity presents itslef. I have no other housed close to worry about.

Thanks!

2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. LoessHillsArcher

LoessHillsArcher Well-Known Member

I don't have the ability where I live but I don't see why it would be illegal? Just a big hunting blind. haha

4. Daver

Daver PMA Member

I am not aware of any law or rule that would prohibit shooting a deer from your own deck, or house, or even from a deck or house that you have the owner's permission to use that way...as long as you maintain the 200 yard buffer and are outside city limits, etc.

5. goatman

goatman I hunt days ending in Y

Heck I'm waiting on my first deer while in a hot tub. You don't know fishbonker by chance?

RoosterCogburn, Fishbonker and Daver like this.
  6. Daver

Daver PMA Member

Ha! I was given a tour of a farm in Missouri once that came pretty close to this. While most of the farm was dedicated to trophy deer habitat, they maintained a dedicated dove shooting field that came up right behind the house. There was a deck attached to the back of the house, with an active hot tub in it, that was just off of the tip of the dove shooting field. You truly could shoot doves from the hot tub and I am pretty sure that they did that some times. :)

goatman likes this.
  7. LYON

LYON PMA Member

The only law I can think of that would address any part of shooting from inside a house (through a window) would be during the shotgun seasons you would technically need orange on each side of your house since it would be used as a blind. Shooting from an exterior deck should eliminate that need. As far as the 200 yard rule goes, that is ONLY for when you don't have permission from the owner or tenant to do so. If you have permission, you do not have to maintain that 200 yard buffer. I believe this law gets misinterpreted a lot.

8. Novis1

Novis1 New Member

Hi Goatman. That sounds like a good idea! Make sure you have on your Blaze Orange speedo :) I am brand new to the forum so I don't know if I know anyone here yet.

9. IowaBowHunter1983

IowaBowHunter1983 Super Moderator Staff Member

I agree with others. Shoot away.

10. Fishbonker

Fishbonker Life Member

You don't wanna know Fishbonker.

I haven't shot at any deer from my deck but I got this 'yote off the deck a few years ago. He was putting the sneak on some poults while I put the crosshairs on him.

yote.jpg

11. Novis1

Novis1 New Member

Nice!

12. ArrowheadMuzzleloader

ArrowheadMuzzleloader Member

Not saying I've done it... but if you were to do it, say from a bedroom window, watch out for sling studs catching on the window sill when they come back from the recoil.

goatman and Rjack like this.
  13. 203ntyp

203ntyp PMA Member

14. DannyBoy

DannyBoy Well-Known Member

You're short of the legal orange! I get a vest or coat might get weird in the hot tub but the law is the law! Maybe turn up the heat.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

15. Elvis188

Elvis188 Super Moderator

Maybe he has on his orange speedos!

203ntyp, Rjack and Daver like this.
  16. evey

evey Member

If you are the owner of the Property and you are within 200 yards of a occupied building you do not need permission to fire a firearm. If you are not the owner you cannot shot a firearm within 200 yards of a occupied building without permission!