Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Shooting Does with Fawns

gibbo80

Is it bad to shoot does when they have fawns with them this time of year. I want to start taking does out of my woods and with season only 9 days away this question has been popping into my head.

So I believe the fawns should be old enough to survive by now am I right?

Any other feelings on this topic

dont worry about fawns

at this point in the game, they may not be as smart, but they are very capable of living/existing on their own. i know the does are not tolerating button bucks as much once the rut gets closer and many of them will get run off as thier testosterone levels rise.

i have no problems shooting "big mama" does during Iowa's early season.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doublerack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shoot the entire clan. The young ones are tastey. </div></div>

Except the button.

I love giving the whole fam damily a truck ride myself.

Shoot all the old does you can.

I do that for four reasons:

1. It is genetically good to get rid of them. Will help with better genetics.

2. Old does will kick the button bucks off the property when she is getting ready
to be bred. It is fact that orphaned button bucks will stay on your property versus
button bucks which get kicked off by ma.

3. Older does will have twins or triplets. Younger does usually have one.

4. Older does statistically have more female offspring while younger does have more male offspring.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doublerack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shoot the entire clan. The young ones are tastey. </div></div>

Except the button. </div></div>

What are you talking about, those taste the best!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I don't like to shoot only old does, but a mix of younger and older does. The older does know tricks of the trade that they teach their fawns and when they get in the big groups. They know lots of survival techinques to pass on...some people prolli don't want the younger deer learning the tricks, but I think keeping some old does around is a good idea for the overall health.

Short, fat, big, tall...when it comes to does turtl shoots'em all.

If it's a slick head and it offers a clean shot, you can bet the ol ROSS CR334 is gonna be spittin an arrow.

I've read all the reports on shooting only mature does, for this reason and that. I personally have a very difficult time aging deer from the stand. If I knew each does age when a group of six of them come in (which is standard where I hunt, if not 10) I would do my best to keep the biggest bodied 3.5-5.5 year old does there and take out the yearlings and old biddies. I can't usually tell since they're wild so I tend to shoot the first one that offers a clean shot.

Risto- how will shooting older does help with genetics? from my understanding, genetics don't have anything to do with age. Not arguing, just wondering if you can clarify as I'm far from expert on this stuff?

I do very few things based on EMOTION vs FACT but I don't shoot as many does with fawns as I probably should..... I shot a doe with 2 fawns a couple years ago, after i shot her the fawns would not leave!!! I went back there a week later in the exact same spot and found both the fawns dead and eaten by coyotes. YES, I felt really really bad- I know I am lame there. SO, I have just tried to shoot does that have no fawns (probably due to predators or WHATEVER). I know I am a wimp here and not doing what research says I should do BUT i just don't want to see 2 fawns like that ever again /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I believe the fawns should be old enough to survive by now am I right?
</div></div>

I see fawns foraging on their own already and does kicking them away when they try to nurse.

Start shootin /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Which does to shoot is a whole different story...if it walks in front of me, it's gonna die....... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Sligh - For the sake of conversation I"ll say that your situation is probably a strange case. I've whacked mature does with fawns and then a few weeks later I'll see the orphaned fawns from a few old does packed together like a gaggle of freshman in their first year of high school.

Who knows the mysteries of mother nature?

All this talk of does and fawns makes my mouth water... it's time to buy some antlerless tags.

Sligh1..I had a similar situation and actually do the same as you. I know it probably doesn't matter but I just can't do it. I too shoot only lone does or the bigger of the twins. May be lame but if I feel bad about it then it defeats the purpose of me being out there and hearing them bawl really makes me feel lousy.My buddy likes to shoot the does so I let him to alot of the damage control.

I've got a few hundred trail cam pics of a doe with two fawns. She is easy to pick out because of a spot on her side. They have almost become pet-like. Don't know if I could shoot her and the twins or not.

What the heck, meat first emotions second. Sadness never filled the freezer. But I know what you mean. Hopefully I can take some of the other does that are around but if not, she'll be on the barby.

The 'Bonker

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sligh1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Risto- how will shooting older does help with genetics? from my understanding, genetics don't have anything to do with age. Not arguing, just wondering if you can clarify as I'm far from expert on this stuff?

</div></div>

Sligh1,
Not ignoring your question just don't have time to explain it while at work. I will try to explain later tonight.
I am far from an expert either and was kind of surprised when I read it. To be continued....

Thanks Risto /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
I probably think of genetics MORE when it comes to bucks where AGE of the deer would not be an issue in genetics BUT look forward to the response on educating me when it comes to does /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I was videoing in early august and watched small spotted fawns eating beans right along with their mothers. I don't think their gonna starve.Wack'em!

Top Bottom