Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Shot analysis needed

To me a C/D 1 hit on that pic is just not hitting lung even at the mentioned height,angle, and distance. The blood pictured is muscle blood IMO. My 1 lung hit deer bled A LOT. In fact they sprayed blood but just didnt die. Kind of a moot discussion at this point. Made a reference pic collage, still saying all straps unfortunately. View attachment 118817
Good discussion..... but I'm still gonna disagree. ;)

7" you cant not get into a lung. Deer arnt THAT wide.

Here are real world photos from my mess up. (Arrow looks level in running away pic but was at similar angle as described above). 6-7" penetration. I had benefit of snow so much easier to track obviously. As I got half mile into it you can def see lung blood eventually. (Couldn't for long time)

Maybe arrow hit bone and deflected, but if it went straight.... poked a hole in a breathing mechanism imo.
b4e5d2ec2d52747ea8b8fd0864e3892f.jpg
7a043006ea6856e35f9e53b3779aa80f.jpg
381471d80ac99c746c2f4596e316c27d.jpg
952e17fbcd652c582f155caa7bc5744b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Good discussion..... but I'm still gonna disagree. ;)

7" you cant not get into a lung. Deer arnt THAT wide.

Here are real world photos from my mess up. (Arrow looks level in running away pic but was at similar angle as described above). 6-7" penetration. I had benefit of snow so much easier to track obviously. As I got half mile into it you can def see lung blood eventually. (Couldn't for long time)

Maybe arrow hit bone and deflected, but if it went straight.... poked a hole in a breathing mechanism imo.
b4e5d2ec2d52747ea8b8fd0864e3892f.jpg
7a043006ea6856e35f9e53b3779aa80f.jpg
381471d80ac99c746c2f4596e316c27d.jpg
952e17fbcd652c582f155caa7bc5744b.jpg

Amazing pic. That looks nearly identical of mine. I remember when mine took his first stride or two the arrow sticking upward more but I think that’s when he snapped it off with his scapula. I’d say high to low identical but mine was maybe a couple inches back of yours at most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...and also what tracked my deer besides me. (Coyote)

...an eventual bed pic 3/4 mile in.

b6ad41dd5e3f0f4dd9e739e3b2e74180.jpg
eab0a122e690c888af0b9181abddfa7b.jpg

Shot one in same spot few years ago. He was on a hot doe, kept following her after the shot. Tracked him few hours later for 300 yards and blood petered out to dark specks and we lost it. Looked for 2 days never found him or arrow. He made the weirdest growl/gurgling noise I’ve ever heard when the arrow hit. Guess I shoulda gave him 12 hrs. He was a giant 8 pt

2eab4b87c1a92d8b6ab3d961fc9e093c.jpg
5c3c9979a60db884ae6bca5f1267b098.jpg

Shot my buck this year in the exact spot you are describing and showing in the pics posted. The shot was 17 yards with a down angle. Arrow sunk to the fletching and he piled up after 50 yards. My arrow did split the scapula and I got both lungs but I agree with the others that 7” of penetration would absolutely get one lung.

Shot one in same spot few years ago. He was on a hot doe, kept following her after the shot. Tracked him few hours later for 300 yards and blood petered out to dark specks and we lost it. Looked for 2 days never found him or arrow. He made the weirdest growl/gurgling noise I’ve ever heard when the arrow hit. Guess I shoulda gave him 12 hrs. He was a giant 8 pt

2eab4b87c1a92d8b6ab3d961fc9e093c.jpg
5c3c9979a60db884ae6bca5f1267b098.jpg
I heard the same exact eery sound a few years ago. Hit tight to front shoulder and smacked opposite shoulder quartering away. If was very loud crazy sound he made. Didn’t have blood at all. He ended up getting shot during shotgun season with a pussed up shoulder.

The pic of the real deer bottom right confirms to me my arrow went into muscle. Guessing it lodged into the vertebrae but not deep enough to sever the cord. Totally sucks.
I’m actually going to switch back to fixed blade heads so I can get better penetration. Been thinking of doing it for a couple years.
This was my fault though. Holding my 20 pin on center mass caused me a high hit. My broadheads would have worked fine had I hit him correctly.

If you don't mind me asking what is your Archery setup?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

If you don't mind me asking what is your Archery setup?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Matthew’s Outback shooting around 65lbs. Shoot Goldtip Hunter arrows with rage 2 blade 100 gr heads.

Shot my buck this year in the exact spot you are describing and showing in the pics posted. The shot was 17 yards with a down angle. Arrow sunk to the fletching and he piled up after 50 yards. My arrow did split the scapula and I got both lungs but I agree with the others that 7” of penetration would absolutely get one lung.

I don't want to get in an argument with anyone about this, but even if 7" of penetration was gained, it does not necessarily mean it was all downward, into the vitals(lungs). It certainly could be that way, and I am sure oftentimes is that way. But depending on a variety of factors and variables(if the deer moves the right way, at the right time and the arrow may be planing, arrow deflection off of internal bone, etc) you can get 7" of penetration that doesn't make into the lungs. It can be more "across" the back, than straight down into the vitals...potentially.

I don't want to get in an argument with anyone about this, but even if 7" of penetration was gained, it does not necessarily mean it was all downward, into the vitals(lungs). It certainly could be that way, and I am sure oftentimes is that way. But depending on a variety of factors and variables(if the deer moves the right way, at the right time and the arrow may be planing, arrow deflection off of internal bone, etc) you can get 7" of penetration that doesn't make into the lungs. It can be more "across" the back, than straight down into the vitals...potentially.

Exactly my thought. Russ and Jordan had this on Jordan's deer. Russ hit and lost it on what looked like a good shot but was actually above the spine thru the straps. Their video removing the busted piece yesterday after Jordan killed it was pretty cool.

If you're up in the straps those things can be 8" across, more if you're JUST above the spine.

Exactly my thought. Russ and Jordan had this on Jordan's deer. Russ hit and lost it on what looked like a good shot but was actually above the spine thru the straps. Their video removing the busted piece yesterday after Jordan killed it was pretty cool.

If you're up in the straps those things can be 8" across, more if you're JUST above the spine.

I know Jordan knocked down a giant, but I didn't know there was video, or that his brother had hit it previously. Where is this video? It sounds like exactly the type of scenario that I am trying to describe.

I know Jordan knocked down a giant, but I didn't know there was video, or that his brother had hit it previously. Where is this video? It sounds like exactly the type of scenario that I am trying to describe.

I think he may have some video on his FB page where they're cutting Russ's arrow out. He sent it in a snapchat group.

Well, thought I’d share an update. Got pics of this buck. He looks fine. I can see the entry way up high on his shoulder/ back. He was out cruising on the 26th. Shot him on the 12th. I’ll be watching for him during shotgun. Pics are 15 yards from the same stand I shot him out of.

Well, thought I’d share an update. Got pics of this buck. He looks fine. I can see the entry way up high on his shoulder/ back. He was out cruising on the 26th. Shot him on the 12th. I’ll be watching for him during shotgun. Pics are 15 yards from the same stand I shot him out of.

Thanks for the follow up, it sounds like that shot may have been just about what I was picturing in the first place. Since this post was first logged, I stumbled across a video of a deer that I shot at and hit several years ago. Although a little different than your scenario, as I was on eye level with the deer, not in an elevated position...the video shows the deer dropping severely at the sound of the shot. (My rube cameraman, me, tapped the camera with his bow prior to the shot and alerted the buck, so he was primed for some major droppage as the arrow traveled towards him.)

The act of the deer dropping so abruptly actually led to the arrow deflecting UP as it exited the buck on a pass through. It can be seen clearly on the video. I too hit high, all due to the droppage, as my aim and shot were true, and passed through the muscle above the spine, over the top of the shoulder area. All that to say, arrow penetration is not always as we might envision it. Glad the buck survived it. The one that I am referencing also did.

Top Bottom