Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Small Diameter

nwhawk

Here's the situation. I shoot a truglo site with which I'm pretty good at to 40yds. With the site I'm currently using I think the pins are just a hair to big. I'm not exactly sure on the diameter of them but I know there are sites with much smaller pins. In theory with smaller pins on the site out at 40-50 yds the pin will not cover as much of the target which in turn should result in greater accuracy.

With that being said, which site(s) do you shoot or would you recommend in the 100-200$ range with the absolute smallest diameter pins?? Thanks in advance!!:way:

Before you buy a site, is there anywhere to move your pins farther away from your bow. My site has about an 8 inch bar in which I have extended all the way out to make my pins the smallest they can be. Typically 0.19 pins are the smallest out there that most people use for hunting. Sounds like you got a 0.29 size.

There are some 0.10 pins out there but typically those are used as like a 70 - 80 yard pins. I suppose some people may use them for closer yardages.

There are a ton of great sites out there. I would look for one with 0.19 pins and one that has the extension on it so you can move your pins away from your bow. The farther you get them away the more accurate you will be at longer distances. It is just like a shotgun. It is harder to aim a 20 inch barrel opposed to a 30 inch barrel.

Goodluck finding one. I have a toxonics but I believe they went out of business. The spot Hogg, HOGG IT Model, is the one very similiar to mine.

I recently bought an axcel armortech with .010 dia. pins.

I like it but I think .010 dia is to small. I want to go back to .019 dia.

The biggest problem is that pins go dark sooner.

It may have improved my accuracy at long range a little but not enough to offset the dimness of the pins in low light. It just might be the sight so someone might have a different suggestion.

If it were me I would go with the .019 dia.

I have a Hunter Hogg It from Spott Hogg....love it. I have the .010 pins - love them too. Yes, they are small, and when learning correct form, they dance more when trying to hold on the target....BUT, aim small, miss small is what I found out. As my shoulder gets stronger and stabilizes more, it just seems you can be more finite with where you put the pin/arrow, especially out to 40+ yards. I don't shoot deer out that far, but practicing out to 40 and beyond will certainly help your accuracy at closer distances. So, for me, I like the small so I can pick a more finite spot on the deer AND practice out to further distances....but that is just me.

I think my next sight will have Three .019 pins on top and two .010 pins on the bottom. Spot Hogg will do this for you and other sight makes are doing this. Tru Glo makes one that the pins get smaller from top to bottom.

I think that would work out the best.

I dont like the long dovetail adjustable sight bars because they stick out to far in front of the bow. I have a hard enough tme finding a case my bow will fit in.

email your sight manufacturer, see if they offer smaller pins for your sight. just replace the longer distance pins with the smaller ones. cheaper than buing a new sight

Check out HHA. Putting a single pin adjustible sight has allowed me to make huge accuracy improvement in the 40-60 yard range. Montana black gold and spot hogg make nice stuff, but everyone really shoud give a HHA a shot

Thanks guys for all of your responses. They all make great sense. The hardest thing now will be deciding between HHA, Spot Hogg, and Montana Black Gold....

I think I'll also call truglo and see if they have 1 or 2 .10 diameter pins.

Again, thanks for the great discussion!

So I just looked up the HHA sights and yes they look nice, but, I want more than just the one pin. So I think they're crossed off the list.

I shoot a g5 sight with .019 pins. It has three fixed pins and one floater pin. I really like the floater pin it gets me out about 75 yards on my setup.

I shoot trophy ridge five pin and all are .12, and slide out as far as the site will go, I like the smaller ones not only because of accuracy but it gives you a better field if view while looking threw your pins at the target

As far as brand I like Spot Hogg, Toxonics, and Axcel Armortech.

Spot Hogg would be my first choice if they would change the individual pin micro adjustments. I like the micro adjustments a lot better on the Armortech.

All three are super tough sights.

I have a Spott Hogg wrapped Hogg It, the top 2 pins are .29 and the bottom 3 are .19 and it's simply fantastic. A guy on Archery Talk makes the wraps/pins/colors custom to whatever you like, that's what made my decision. You will never regret a SpottHogg.

If you get my, er...I mean your, treestands set in the right spot, there shouldn't be any need for those rainbow micropins :grin:

NWBuck

Top Bottom