Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

SML Encore Build

Here's a gun that I just got wrapped up for a member here. We'll see if he claims it. :)

Range is Ben Avery. It's on the north side of phoenix. It's huge. I think like 100 benches on the 100/200 yard range and usually pretty full. But it's run very well. Shoot 15 minutes, then pause for target swap. Not as nice as going out my back door on the farm in Iowa, but having a mandatory timeout is kind of nice as it keeps me from getting rushed.
Encore Frame
ASG Gen2 LRMP Module System
Seekins Rings
28" Brux bull barrel with long interrupted fluting & radial brake
Leupold VX6HD 3-18x44

ENCORE.jpeg

It shoots good. Here's the first group out of it. Shots 3,4,5.

group1.jpeg

Looking great Luke! I just got around to bedding mine. She is finally ready to shoot.

Now I just have to find the time. Maybe one of these days it won't be 100 degrees out.

Maybe that's why you moved to Arizona...the cooler weather!

It's plenty hot here too. But I haven't broke down and put AC in the garage yet. Garage opens to west though, so I've been chased inside mid afternoon a few days when the sun really starts to warm things up.

The gun is great!.... The owner of this gun is a lousy hunter who couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn! ;).

Thx Luke- can’t wait to get that rascal & shoot it!!! :)

im an idiot when it comes to smokeless....whats the max range on something like this? Im assuming true 50 cal bullets as well. Nice looking firearm!!!

I should prolly let Luke answer as he is the smokeless “guru” but mine is a 45 cal. bare bullet model. Given a broadside standing deer size target, a solid rest, minimal wind (0r time to make measurements and adjust), I would confidently take a shot with mine at 400 yards.

Most of the guns I put together are 45cal like Skip's. No sabot. We don't run these encore builds as hard a the bolt gun builds, but they're legit 300 yard guns. The bolt gun builds can be stretched further, but conditions do need to be good. And of course, shooter needs to put in the prerequisite amount of range work.

Most of the guns I put together are 45cal like Skip's. No sabot. We don't run these encore builds as hard a the bolt gun builds, but they're legit 300 yard guns. The bolt gun builds can be stretched further, but conditions do need to be good. And of course, shooter needs to put in the prerequisite amount of range work.

So i guess my question is what is the difference between my encore now compared to this gun? And no im not being a smartass, i am truly curious. Because I have heard talk of Smokeless being 500 yard muzzle loaders which is what i always figured the difference between my gun and these are. Now mine is not a "stock" encore, but its accuracy is amazing even out to 275-300 yards....thanks for the info

The bolt smokeless guns are what people are talking about when they speak of 500+ yard guns. They arn't talking about the encore builds.

So i guess my question is what is the difference between my encore now compared to this gun? And no im not being a smartass, i am truly curious. Because I have heard talk of Smokeless being 500 yard muzzle loaders which is what i always figured the difference between my gun and these are. Now mine is not a "stock" encore, but its accuracy is amazing even out to 275-300 yards....thanks for the info

300 yards out of a gun shooting blackhorn or pyrodex is great. My hat is off to you. I couldn't go over 200 (ethically) on my best day.

To answer the question...it comes down to the powder and pressures. The bolt guns have a breach that can handle more (because of the design)...so you can load them hotter...more FPS = longer range.

IMO someone that is buying a smokeless encore is doing it more for the following:

1. Reliability. The primer/powder combo is essentially a rifle cartridge. I am sure most have experienced a hangfire or two with their smokepole.

2. Consistency. Again...much like a rifle. Smokeless powder and the primer combo are inherently more consistent than black powder. This is critical when you are wanting to reach out and touch something.

3. Cleanliness. Pretty obvious. Gun is easier to clean. It's also a lot easier to confirm hits, etc... I hate shooting and not being able to see the end result through the smoke.

4. Looks. That barrel is pretty sweet. :)

These are pretty broad generalizations...but the idea is there. I went with the bolt gun option...however I will never shoot 500 yards. I know my limitations. I just want a consistent/clean 300 yard shooting gun that looks good. I'm fairly certain I have that now :)

I thought about the encore build. I just liked the looks of the bolt gun better.

Hope that helps

Good questions....Accuracy to 300 yards and effective deer killing or two totally different things. These encores are running 2500 fps with a 300gr bullet. You're probably getting 2100 fps if that. These encores will shoot groups at 400-500 yards, but energy would be falling off to what your conventional MZ is at 250-300 yards.

For the bolt guns, we're talking loads that are in the 2900-3000 FPS range. They carry enough energy way past 500 yards. However, in my opinion, ethical deer range tops out around 500 yards and that's only for someone that really puts in the range work. And, if we're being honest, unless you're trying to setup for a 500 yard shot, 300 yards on in gets it done 99% of the time in Iowa. I know when I started to make the transition from slug gun to long range MZ and was carrying range finder, most of the farms I hunted wouldn't even give you a practical 250+ yard shot.

Breckhawk covered most of the other benefits.

On cleaning, not only is it a lot easier, it's not necessary. I only clean at the end of the season. I got up to 200 rounds over 13months on my gun before I ran into issues. That's actually what sold me on smokeless way back when the savage came out.

& look here - you learned how to spell muzzleloader right!!! Got that all fixed up. 25% off my purchase price of my Muscleloatingcannongunthingythatblastsdemdeeraway gun I bought from you!

Those high fence deer you shoot won't stand a chance with that gun in your hand Skip! :D Seriously though. Beauty of a gun! I've been around a few of Luke's bolt guns and they are phenomenal. I'd love to own one someday.

b65b8af911ed4388efd6f8cf8da2a05f.jpg
7c9dabc0151098129d26709dc0b3ba05.jpg

Well Looky here- Christmas dun come early!!! Opened me one nice suprize!!!!

So.... reason I got smokeless is far more basic than anyone else’s...... (was some of ur points earlier).....
1) I hated having to clean that stupid gun any time I shot it and by the time my fussy self was done messing around - 1-2 hours went by to get everything perfect. I simply got tired of it.
2) I seen way too many times - the dudes that had “perfectly cleaned guns” - have hang fire or misfire with BOTH blackhorn & pyrodex. Buddy of mine that convinced me back in the day to use BH..... I sat in blind & filmed him with my lil camcorder on an old management warrior. Longest hang fire ever. Somehow he hit him 2’ back & high & got spine or artery or something. That’s one of way too many examples that spooked me.
3) distance Is NOT my motivation. Lemme put it very bluntly (this is funny)...... I’ve never killed a giant deer with a gun- ever. The management bucks I’ve killed - all 25-150 yards. Having more range can’t HURT me but wasn’t my main factor. I’ve killed every single one of my biggest bucks with a bow & never ever have shot one with Gun. I go out and have always used my tags on management bucks. Someday - that will change & just don’t want anything to go wrong. That’s it for me. :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Top Bottom