Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Smoked Deer Balls

Meatballs guys, not nuts! Thought some of you might like to try this.

2 lbs ground deer (beef added)
4.5 oz pkg real bacon bits (or fry bacon and crumble)
16 cheddar cheese cubes (or your favorite cheese)
1 egg
Cookie's Flavor Enhancer, to taste
Garlic powder, to taste
Onion powder, to taste

Place ground deer in bowl. Add egg. Mix to combine thoroughly. Sprinkle with Cookie's Flavor Enhancer, garlic powder, and onion powder (not really sure on how much I used, just added 'til I thought I had enough). Mix again. Form into approximately 16 golf ball sized meatballs. Make an indention in each of the balls. Place one cheese cube and bacon bits into each indention and reform ball around cheese and bacon, making sure there are not holes. Preheat smoker to 220-250. Place meatballs on wire racks (I used vegetable grilling trays -- look like expanded metal -- so they wouldn't fall thru the racks in the smoker). Smoke for about 1.5 to 2 hours with favorite wood (I used apple). Let rest a few minutes before serving.

I also did some with colby jack cubes and a pickled jalapeno slice (ribs and seeds removed).

These still had a little gamey flavor, so I would probably add more seasoning or possibly a little pork to the meat next time. Also, time could vary depending on the size.

Only took one pic. Should have taken a pic of inside of one, but you can imagine.

We fried up some sliced deer nuts last year. Not too bad honestly. But not good enough for me to keep them and fry up on a yearly basis.

Top Bottom