Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Smoked pheasant

also- I have always been saying instead of just cutting the breast off a pheasant- I am going to try and keep the entire bird and try one that way. So last night I am 1/2 through taking all the feathers off- tired from hunting all day - I soon realized why I hadn't tried this before- But- I wanted to do it so I stuck it out- I think I messed up by not keeping the skin on it- but what would you do with this bird? I was going to brine it and then smoke it with "slap yo momma" seasoning rub....thoughts?

I have smoked a few, but just the breasts (bone in). It's been a year or so, but I brined first overnight I believe in a simple brown sugar/salt/water brine. Patted dry, seasoned with a general seasoning mix. Then smoked with applewood at around 200-225 degrees. Can't remember for how long tho. Turned out pretty good, maybe a little dry, but probably just left it on a little too long.

Smoked a couple birds recently for a friend so thought I'd share some pics. Birds were in a simple brine when I got them. Assuming basic salt & water brine. Rubbed them with some steak seasoning. Put them on the pellet smoker with hickory pellets. It was pretty cold out so the smoker ran at about 150 the whole time (usually runs about 220 to 225). left them on for about four hours due to the lower temp. Took them off when the thighs hit about 150. Also had a beef rump roast on there that took a few more hours. Got a nice smoke ring from being on there so long!

If you notice, I think one pheasant had 2 left legs!

Last edited:
My idea of a smoked pheasant:

IMG_0588.jpg

Top Bottom