Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Someone Make it Rain!!

Weather Service had this week filled with rain, Rep on the radio said best coverage would be southern half of Iowa. Tues morn and wed morn was just the opposite,,was all northern Half. shows how accurate weather computer models are. Now everything hinges on thurs nite. eighty to ninety percent coverage for all of Iowa. DON'T HOLD YOUR BREATH! Been saying that for wks. All depends on two things..When the front comes thru,, and the ever present Split trend. If the front comes thru your area before midnight,,you have a good chance,,after midnight storms usually die out. The split is an ever present phenomina. A batch of rain goes north of IA, another south into Mo. Just some weather facts for those interested. ME,,I figure my rye may come up next spring!!

Weather Service had this week filled with rain, Rep on the radio said best coverage would be southern half of Iowa. Tues morn and wed morn was just the opposite,,was all northern Half. shows how accurate weather computer models are. Now everything hinges on thurs nite. eighty to ninety percent coverage for all of Iowa. DON'T HOLD YOUR BREATH! Been saying that for wks. All depends on two things..When the front comes thru,, and the ever present Split trend. If the front comes thru your area before midnight,,you have a good chance,,after midnight storms usually die out. The split is an ever present phenomina. A batch of rain goes north of IA, another south into Mo. Just some weather facts for those interested. ME,,I figure my rye may come up next spring!!

If I were you I'd just grab a cold beverage, take a few deep breaths, and quit stressin'.....because, mother nature is gonna do what she wants regardless as to how much you 'hope'.....heck, maybe then you'll get your way :way:

Hey I'm not stressed, I just like the weather. I like watching the patterns, that seem to repeat over and over. I like to match my brain with the:profrssionls: and computers. Narture does what it does, and if my rye does not come up,,is no big deal. Don't have that many deer around anyway. As I said once before, I was told by a Meteorologist once that I should become one. Back when there weren't so many, but you had to take, and pass every possible math coarse, and I was not good at math. Just a hobby.:eek:

If you don't mind me asking, what county are you from? Send me a PM if you aren't comfortable answering here.

I've noticed what you are talking about.....happened all summer in south central/ south eastern Iowa. I hunt mainly in Monroe, Appanoose, and Van Buren......and we've really got the wrong end of the stick when it comes to rain. North gets it, south gets it, and we don't. Tuesday, I watched two counties north get smoked with a system that was traveling in a strong NE direction. 4 hours later I watched northern Missouri get smoked on a system that went straight east.

Gonna check out my food plots for the first time in over a month on Friday. I'm hoping something grew!

Chris - hope yours look better than mine. Mine looked pretty good at the end of July. but august was just brutal... 0.2" of rain down their the entire month.

Chris - hope yours look better than mine. Mine looked pretty good at the end of July. but august was just brutal... 0.2" of rain down their the entire month.

Well, I didn't plant the brassicas until the 2nd week of August....so, we'll see. This will be the first time I've stepped foot on the farm since then!

July 25, 0.8" rain.
July 30, 0.35" rain.

Next measurable precipitation after that:
September 15, 1.2".
Today, 0.5".

But I "only" have row crops to worry about, no "killing plots" planted. ;)

Hey I'm not stressed, I just like the weather. I like watching the patterns, that seem to repeat over and over. I like to match my brain with the:profrssionls: and computers. Narture does what it does, and if my rye does not come up,,is no big deal. Don't have that many deer around anyway. As I said once before, I was told by a Meteorologist once that I should become one. Back when there weren't so many, but you had to take, and pass every possible math coarse, and I was not good at math. Just a hobby.:eek:

I think you are going to get plenty of it tonight! :way:

About to get our rain! Holy moly look at that front!

You mean this one???? :way: Thank the good Lord!

20130919_183337.jpg

20130919_183600.jpg

Disked and planted an acre yesterday morning..just in time for a good 1.20 inches of rain...should workout well....right?

Last posting for this subject..I am promising! Was down on my land waiting for all those rain filled, Storms, coming from the WEST, Friday. Even though it was still before midnight,,as usuall they diminished considerably. My land, a little over 1/2 an inch. Been a L-O-N-G time since a decent soaking. Maybe next month. Ottumwa has had less than an inch for Sept, and Burlington just an inch, so I think there are a lot of dry areas left. Bright side,,after 2 tries, my rye finally came up!

Top Bottom