Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Spooked deer domino effect

meyeri

PMA Member
I've noticed a new phenomenon this year while hunting a huge picked bean field. As the first groups of deer enter the field, some will trot/run the first hundred yards then slow down and feed. Other deer already in the field will sometimes see those running deer, spook and take off running themselves. Which in turn sometimes causes the first group of deer to spook and clear the field.
I literally laughed out loud watching this unfold and found it very interesting how their instinct to run by late season tends to be heightened. I noticed that as larger numbers get in the field, they are less effected by this. I'd assume it's somewhat due to pressure as this area has a fair amount. Anybody else have this?

Yep. They are scared of their own shadows sometimes. I think I’ve had several nights where the same groups have ran off & came back 2-3 times easily. Watch a coyote come out early.... clear em and they all come back 10-20 mins later.

Saturday had my son out and it happened all night. High density spot at one time we had around 75 deer in the field. Fun sit but nothing came out that tripped his trigger.

Top Bottom