Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Squirrel Tourney????

THA4

A Few Steps Ahead Of You
A good friend of mine near where I live is talking about putting together a squirrel tournament this winter, near the last day of the squirrel season. It will be a two man team thing and they will pay out heaviest squirrel, longest tail and obviously the heaviest (TEAM limit) bag. Public land is off limits too....

I am not really an advocate of "tournament hunting" but to be honest, i couldn't care less about the "winnings" in this situation as a large portion of the procedes will be donated to the local fire dept. or something like that....

But what a great way to promote a nearly completely overlooked resource and a great way to bring a bunch of guys together and have a great time. After weigh-in a chillie feed will be taking place, im sure some adult beverages will be available....

Have any of you ever done one of these? Rabbit tourney??? I know they used to be popular back in the 80s and 90s but seem to have faded away....

If you ever participated in one, share about the format.

I think it would be a great time!

Back when I was still in our archery club, we would have an annual bow hunting small game hunt / tournament. Teams of two would meet at a guys house for a sunrise breakfast then head out for the day. We would meet back at the range at the end of the day and turn in what we had. It was a point system with rabbits and squirrels scoring the same but pheasants scored much higher. Some donated fun type prizes were awarded to the teams.

I have never participated in one, but have a good friend that has. a couple things I can remember, was that they had a points system for a "body shot" vs. a "head shot".

Another thing he said, they were limited to air rifles and 22LR's.

the earlham bar used to have one every year at the beginning of season. 2 man teams, no shotguns, points based on head shots, body shots, multiple shots

where is this gonna be held at thomas?

Close enough for you to come up Tee Roy, Panora area probably... nothing is set in stone, but I will keep you posted!

i think i recall there being talk for head and body shots, and there is weapon limitations also.....

They have one down in southern Iowa every year on the opener. Two man teams, only head shots with a 22 count. You could fill your limit, but if you don't have a head shot, you don't have a squirrel. I think they meet at the cafe before light and then meet back at noon for the squirrel count.

A coyote or crow hunting tournament would be good to.

There's been one in the PCM area that last few years. It's a good time. Two man teams, head shots 1 point, body shots 2. $20 entry, pays out to to 3 teams I think. Legal limit is max (12 per team I think). Hunt is from sunrise to lunch. Potluck style lunch. No extra points for gray squirrels or prizes for largest, smallest, etc. Just most points. I've hunted it with my son and it makes a great father/child event with little pressure to win. Just a good time.

Top Bottom