Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Standing Corn Prices

kazbass

Was wondering what would be a fair price for leaving a couple acres of corn in a field for deer season? The neighbor is gonna leave 4 acres of corn. I know the price of corn is way down, just getting an idea.. He doesn't pay any rent on it. What is the approximate costs??? Thanks

Last edited:
For corn with no rent, average inputs are about $400 to $420 an acre. But the fair price is going to be the approximate bushel per acre average x the spring price guarantee which was over $4/bushel - his inputs. This year farmers are still going to do well if they had insurance because of the revenue protection next year tho not so good.

The fair price is the price the elevator will pay them. I think when I talked to our farmer last it was 2.83 for corn and 8.80 for beans in Indiana.

The fair price is the price the elevator will pay them. I think when I talked to our farmer last it was 2.83 for corn and 8.80 for beans in Indiana.

I don't think so . Farmers aren't selling their corn for that. They will hold into it until prices come up.

It's too late for this year but there is a program the farmer can sign up for to get paid if he leaves X amount of corn in and combines it after March 1st. A neighboring farming who doesn't hunt does this annually. One thing I will add if you want him to continue to do that is to shed hunt it. We asked to shed hunt the standing corn the neighbor left two years ago and he said no. He called us the next fall and asked us if we would shed hunt it the following year because he didn't like the two flat tires caused by deer antlers.

All depends on what he's got marketed, and what the ground is like. I'd just ask the guy. It could get expensive if you are going to pay him for what he's got in it.

That's not true. Yes that is what they will get for selling their crop. But then they will get a check for revenue protection from insurance company.

No one is accounting for revenue protection. The farmer will get the price the elevator is paying but then will get the difference between that and the spring guarantee price. So with a 4.50 spring guarantee and a mid 2's elevator cash price they will get a check for approximately 2 a bushel for the difference depending on level of protection and their farms yield history.

Ask him what his revenue gurantee is per acre for that farm for Mulit-Peril Crop Insurance. Take $35/acre off of that number since he will not have harvest expenses. Example: If his 10 yr average yield is 145bu/acre and his coverage level he chose is 80%, then take 145 x 80%= 116bu/acre. The spring price this year was $4.617 so multiply $4.617/bu x 116bu/acre= $535/acre. Take away the $35/acre harvest expense and you arrive at $500/acre. Probably the fairest way to go about this.

No one is accounting for revenue protection. The farmer will get the price the elevator is paying but then will get the difference between that and the spring guarantee price. So with a 4.50 spring guarantee and a mid 2's elevator cash price they will get a check for approximately 2 a bushel for the difference depending on level of protection and their farms yield history.

This is not how revenue protection works. I can explain it if you would like or you can take my word for it. A lot of farmers have produced their way out of a revenue claim this year it appears. Fall price hasn't been set yet (it is in discovery period).

If a farm with a 150 bu APH (average production yield) and an 80% coverage level raises 168bu/acre, there will not be a revenue claim. October's average of the Dec. futures is $3.306/bu as of today. (this number will change every day until Halloween when the final Oct average is determined)
Here's the math:
150bu APH x 80% x $4.617= $554.04/acre guarantee
$554.04/acre/ fall price of $3.306= 167.59bu/acre
If the actual yield is greater than 167.59 bu/acre then there will be no revenue claim. If the yield is below 167.59 bu/acre then the claim would be the difference between 167.59 and the actual yield x $4.617 (the higher of spring or fall price).
If average yield of 150 is achieved then the claim would be $81.21/acre.
As my previous post has said, most guys will not get a large revenue claim due to very large yields

Just have him combine it with a green combine, there will still be plenty of corn on the ground for the deer to eat.

I did some quick numbers, much less detailed than KJOHN15. Like his much better analysis I came up with about $500/acre depending on what the yield per acre is. All in all corn is a pretty expensive food plot. Just think, not long ago you would be talking about $1,000/acre.

Just have him combine it with a green combine, there will still be plenty of corn on the ground for the deer to eat.

I thought it was the silver combines that did that. You mean that expensive green paint doesn't do any better than a silverseeder?

Assuming he can get in there can you just pay him to not combine it till after deer season? Assuming January 10th is the latest you could hunt there he could combine then, if snow allows, and you could pay for anything lost from now to then. Even figuring 50% crop losses to deer or weather damage you would still pay half the $500/acre.

Just a suggestion, either ask him where you could plant a foodplot that isn't in ag ground and do it yourself or attempt a "lease" of sorts for a few acres of his ground not to plant it and do your own plot.
Corn is an expensive crop for a plot and is only desirable during certain times of the season. Its easier to put in a plot that appeals all year and into a great spot.fot early season turkey hunting before the ground is worked up again.

Top Bottom