Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

State Selling NR Mailing List?

Maggs

Copied this from a post on the Iowa Forum on the Bowsite. Several other NR hunters replied they had been solicited also. Does anyone know if the State is selling the list of applicants or if this is covered under our open records law?

"Thought some of you guys would love this. In the mail today I recieved a flyer from the Iowa Outfitters & Guide Association. They asked me to sign up for a membership with several choices:

B&C Level..........$100 P&Y Level..........$ 50 Longbeard Level....$ 25

Mission Statement basically says your donation will help fund lobbying to get more tags.

You can visit their website at: www.iowaoutfitters.org

Please take your time and form an orderly line to sign up. I don't know where they got my name but I am not an outfitter."

I drew a Iowa tag last season in zone 3 and received at least 6 to 8 flyers from outfitters for just that zone. Thats not counting the other parts of the state that I received flyers from.
So they new I drew a tag plus what zone and season I drew for. Thanks to family and good friends there isn't need for outfitters.
Dennis

Oh, the information age... It sure takes up alot of time everyones time massing for collective efforts or to battle against the efforts of others. Where do we sent our $ to pay a lobbyist to fight for reduction in NR tags?
With each successive generation we find ourselves paying for what was once free. Hunting is only a recent example.

Oh, the information age... It sure takes up alot of time everyones time massing for collective efforts or to battle against the efforts of others. Where do we sent our $ to pay a lobbyist to fight for reduction in NR tags?
With each successive generation we find ourselves paying for what was once free. Hunting is only a recent example.

Both successful and unsuccessful applicants for deer tags are public information. It is available to anyone for a small processing fee.

I disagree with Dennis M's statement that "there isn't need for outfitters". Those who are not fortunate enough to have freinds or family that own or lease huntable property in Iowa need outfitters simply to have the opportunity to experience what many Iowans take for granted. The only alternative is that they could hunt state owned public ground which is paid for by residents only.

Well first off DC I didn't say that there wasn't a need for outfitters just that I didn't need one!
But you will all see to soon that once the outfitters start lease up land as they have, land owners themself will see the potential for extra income! The farming business may be good but extra income to help get thur the winter and spring would be welcomed! Thus you will have the same as most southern states you will pay lease fees to hunt.
It would be nice to stay as it has always been but it won't money and greed will come to Iowa weather we like it or not!
Dennis

DC,
I would have to disagree with you on the point that in order to get access to good hunting land you need an outfitter. I hunt all types of game through out the entire State of Iowa. And have never had a problem finding someplace to hunt(privateland) the species of choice, sometimes I have had to knock on several doors before gainning access but my overall experience has be extremely postive. So you can not sell me on that point. I am very glad that leasing has not yet become an issue in my area.

I have several freinds down in Florida and they only way to hunt down there is on leased ground, it gets better. The leases are then subleased so you have 30 guys hunting on 3000 acres with stands having to be at least 150 yards apart, and there is a stand every 150yards, then these guys have to fight with each other when a guy is tring to move a stand. these guys are arguing all the time, then imagine having to pay the $2700 annual lease fee for this wonderful expereince. I have to chuckle every time I am down there.

Paul

Back on this leasing thing, a couple of week back we went to one of the feilds we hunt geese from. When we got there there were a couple of vehicles out there needless to say we had spoke with the farmer earlier in the week and he had given us permission to be there when go in the feild it was a guy I used to hunt with, we had a falling out (now I remember why) but we tried to make the best of it, talked to them and asked if they wanted to put the spreads together and hunt as one group, they declined so we went ahead and set up. We have been hunt this feild for the past eight years.

After the other group was done hunting they drove there truck out in the middle of this guys fleid, the framer came out and expressed his disapproval of that. He then came over to B.S. with us for a while. The farmer told us that this guy has been tring to lease the land for the past several years, (since our falling out.) Being a hunter himself, he told us it does not make sense for him to ask for money to hunt and then not to expect having to pay to hunt himself. I think he summed it up pretty well.
I enjoy hunting and enjoying taking people hunting with me. After hearing what the farmer told me it really makes me wonder if I should not change my attitude toward sharing my experience, it is a real shame.

Paul

Fifteen yrs.ago i would pheasant hunt all day sat. and sun. but not most off land is leased by out of state hunter or by wealthy in state hunters.Havent even had the poor old bird dog out this year.Hope we dont see the same happen to our deer land,because i think the famer will get tired of hunters knocking on there doors if they dont have money in hand ,like alot of pheasant land.

Top Bottom