Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Swamp Bur Oak Hybrid

Hardwood11

It is going to be a good fall!
I have been planting trees in MN that past couple of weeks, and I checked some of my oak trees. The swamp bur oak hybrids that I planted have been doing very well. I have some 3-4 year old trees that are bursting out the tubes. This is in MN. I have not planted any on my new farm in Iowa, but very excited at the possibility, since the growth will probably be double that in MN.

Anyone with past experience? I bought them from Kelly Tree Farm. Any pictures, or growth stories would be appreciated.

One of the best hybrids. Mine came from Oikos. Started putting on acorns around 7 or 8. One has small acorns and the other big acorns. I've been starting seedlings from them.

Sometimes you wonder if it's worth it (planting hybrids)but I think it will pay off long term.

Another hybrid is bur gambel oak. Very fast growing tree. Many trees are hybrid in the forest. I get acorns from a swamp white between two bur oak.

Another hybrid is bur gambel oak. Very fast growing tree. Many trees are hybrid in the forest. I get acorns from a swamp white between two bur oak.

We've tried but gambel oak in MN--grows slow. I would think down in IA/Missouri it would grow well and produce acorns sooner.

I HAVE been planting the Concordias. They are a fast growing beautiful oak.

I get them from the Missouri DNR tree nursery. They are NOT in their catalog but are available. I have gotten 50 of them this spring.

I HAVE been planting the Concordias. They are a fast growing beautiful oak.

I get them from the Missouri DNR tree nursery. They are NOT in their catalog but are available. I have gotten 50 of them this spring.

Ok you have to call to order??

How much were they... Size?

You guys with land in IA and Missouri should be planting the Swamp Bur Oak Hybrid. I am getting great growth, survival and acorns in 6-7 years in MN! Factor in IA/Missouri/Neb and you are looking at even faster growth.
Swamp bur oak acorn 16.jpg

I find that plane Swamp white grow really well in my lowlands they also have put out acorn quickly. I don't know what the advantage of having a highbred would be. In my experience the big trick is to find out what trees like to grow where and they will grow very well.

I find that plane Swamp white grow really well in my lowlands they also have put out acorn quickly. I don't know what the advantage of having a highbred would be. In my experience the big trick is to find out what trees like to grow where and they will grow very well.

I don't know if there is a big advantage really, but the hybrid seems to match early acorns of the swamp white oak, and toughness of bur oak along with a little better drought tolerance.

Swamp white oak is a hybrid. To tell the truth about all our trees are some kind of hybrid (like us) unless they are isolated from other pollinators.

It would interesting to know if Iowa allows a hybrid oak to be planted in CRP programs. I know they would be ok, with swamp white oak, but would they allow swamp bur oak hybrid. Plan on putting in some 3 and 5 row windbreaks in the future, and this tree would be in each row. Unless they disallow it?

Unless they dictate what species you are to plant (as in they're cost sharing), I would just tell them you want to plant oaks in a windbreak. Suspect they won't even ask what kind.

Unless they dictate what species you are to plant (as in they're cost sharing), I would just tell them you want to plant oaks in a windbreak. Suspect they won't even ask what kind.

That is what I do in MN, but you never know if the tree police come out and check. Probably not.

Yep^^^^ I run into hybrids in the wild quite often and exactly, swamp white with Burr oaks, etc can cross, etc. I can't keep track of it all but Goatman is right.
No prob in CRP tree plantings or tree plantings of any kind. Exactly like above "oak varieties, blah blah blah".
I like Concordia, (and yes - swamp oak), Swamp Chestnut oak and Dwarf chinkapin. I choose those 3 because they are non-existent on my farms and they have some really nice attributes. My ground is filled with white, red, burr, black, shingle & smaller amounts of swamp oak. My farm in SE iowa many years ago had a lot of "POST OAK" as well which were interesting. So many oaks I really don't need to be planting anymore though. Gazillions of them. So, I'm just looking to add diversity is all. The rest, in my case, I'll just keep freeing up the pole sized oaks I have now and I'll have more acorns than probably needed long term.

Top Bottom