Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Taxidermist Fraud

Make no doubt about it. He is cornered and trying to buy some time. Legal system is slow(to much red tape) but I wouldn't rule out he will bolt to somewhere else. The DNR may or want to pursue him but will depend on the State's Attorney. Sadly I have seen this before. Incident with a taxidermist in MO. Close friend had 2 items he never saw again.

This problem started in Mitchell county and not Dickinson county. The Mitchell county DNR contact is aware and has not been brought up-to-speed on the current situation. He will be brought up to speed if I do not see results soon. Then, the Mitchell county DNR and myself will also be reaching out to Dickinson county and Osceola county for help. The Mitchell county DNR will be the person to get the investigation started for criminal proceedings. Make no mistake about it, my next avenue is to get law enforcement (DNR) involved for criminal purposes (theft). I will also be reaching out to attorneys for advice and preparing for the worst. I have researched other precedents set with similar cases so criminal prosecution is an option and last resort if necessary. Anyone else who is experiencing problems will be reached out too as well, if this needs to reach such level. It will take a collaboration of multiple parties to get a criminal charge. Multiple civil cases are apparent already, however, money will not solve a thing in said case. There is no money to be had, the ultimate reason for the sudden move/hiding. Word travels fast, and they are aware! I hope Rich and Amber decide to move quickly and do the right thing. For those who are trying to help these two, do not be fooled by deception and lies. They are good at it. Please get the word out to these two any way possible. Those on this website are very intelligent and seem to stick together for the greater good. I know word gets out quick with these forums/blogs. All I ask for is a call from these two so we can work out a resolution/get a plan together for a meet and pick up of possessions without it getting to the next level. I have been told by guilty party (Rich) I would be getting a call and still nothing. The ONLY reason he called was because they have been pressed by the heat being brought. This makes me believe one thing so far. They are hiding something (DO NOT HAVE OUR POSSESSIONS anymore). Those of us who have been deceived and taken for money (deposits of hundreds of dollars) will not get any money back. If so, it would be a miracle. We can only be lucky as to get some or all possessions back at best. At this point, that is ALL I am wanting and what is most important to me. Brian (Breiner11) and Tom Matuska have been very generous to offer a helping hand, and it is greatly appreciated. Rich and Amber Gonnerman ARE aware of the need to rectify the situation. We having been moving forward in the past two days with a little communication at best (a few text msgs by Rich only) only because of Brian and Tom working together to get resolution and peace of mind. From there, it's been the common "I will call you shortly" but receive no calls etc. This seems to be the (good attempt and we are "all good" in Rich's mind) or how he deceives those who have taken an interest or want to help. Nothing more happens from then on. I would like to continue moving forward and actually get the ball rolling with getting possessions back in hand for all of us. Any more advice/help is needed and appreciated. I am thankful and grateful for a close knit community such as you all, to lend a helping hand. You all have good morals and share the same passion for the animal and hunt, something that is hard to explain. This just makes me sick! I am sure you all feel the same...Money is one thing, but a memory and/or a feeling is another.

Best of luck, I feel for you. There certainly needs to be more accountability it seems in this profession, it certainly is a niche that needs to be examined much closer in respects to the customer and THEIR trophy.

Finally! There has been a phone call and some pictures to verify my deer aren't gone. I was sent picture messages of two of my deer. The other deer appear to be accounted for but I will not know until I get them back. There has been a scheduled drop off this coming Saturday, so we will see what happens. It will be nice to get everything back and get a little piece of mind. Such a disorganized and frustrating deal. Thanks to all who have helped! Breiner11 did the trick... Will update when items are back in hand. Let's hope they follow through with what they say...

Couldn't be any better news than that. Now ... just hope all goes well Saturday and things actually fall into place! I didn't see this ending well... I'm glad and hopeful that it will!

Happy for you! Just hope this husband and wife combo get what's coming to them.

Sent from my iPhone using IW

Good luck and great job getting all the info you needed before chasing them down. I hope to see pics of the returned property come Saturday.

An update for all: I did receive all of my possessions back Saturday afternoon. My dad was present to double check all for me. Rich has been real good about communication lately and stayed true to his word. Everything worked out well. I hope any other people still waiting has good luck like myself. Stay on it...

So was the work completed, or did he just return your capes and antlers? Either way I'm glad to hear that you were able to recover your belongings.

I sent a pheasant to Rich in December 2013. The following year and a half I had an extremely difficult time getting ahold of him. He had informed me my mount was done late last fall 2014. I set up multiple arangements to pick up my bird and he would fail to show up time after time. Once every few months he would answer my call. He again would reassure me my mount was completed. I continued to be skeptical as he would fail to meet after arrangements were made. He would then have an excuse when I would finally get ahold of him. These same excuses or stories he used on other customers that were having difficulty getting there items. Well, this past week I was able to contact him and he told me that he would drop my "mount" off this Saturday. Well, when he showed up, he dropped off a skinned pheasant in a plastic bag. It smelled as though it had been sitting out for quite some time. I did receive some of my down payment back, however the outcome is extremely frustrating. I'm not sure if my pheasant is even salvageable. I definitely learned my lesson with this situation and hope others can as well.

If anyone knows a taxidermist in northern Iowa or southern Minnesota that they would recommend, I would appreciate a recommendation. I would like to see if my bird is worth getting finished.

Sorry to hear Seth. Call Dana Schultz at Twin Creeks Taxidermy in Allison Iowa. He is one of the best bird guys in the state. Tell him Brian Reinertson sent you and you will be taken care of.

I second Dana. Another option is Chris Heying. He has done some birds for us also and they turned out great. Heying Taxidermy in New Hampton.

Last edited:
AirAssault and Knuckledragr, I didn't request any money back from the deposits. I did get one deer back completed. I assume the time spent and the tanning bill for the other two capes were worth something. Either way, I was willing to help the cause by leaving the money alone. There are kids involved too. I am just glad to be done. My only worry is that the capes for the other two deer are still ok with as disorganized as the operation was. I was reassured they were. They are tanned and currently in the freezer. I was told they were kept in the freezer after the tanning, but who really knows. I need to get them to a new taxidermist asap to verify and get done. Sorry to hear about your bird Seth. I was hoping the outcome for you would be better after talking to Chip about it.

Glad to hear that you got everything back and it appears things are in decent shape to get the mounts done elsewhere.

I had a similar experience in Bluegrass, IA 10 years or so ago. Taxidermist had my head for 18 months with half ass communication. Finally, a conversation happened that made me feel like things would never get done so I told him I was coming to get my head. I took the local CO with me and reclaimed my head and my deposit. Guy was so brave he ended up making his wife give me my belongings back and write me a check as he bailed when I showed up. The CO paid him several more visits after that to ensure that his business was all in order and racks/hides were accounted for and I heard he was treated appropriately by the CO ;)

Again glad to hear you got your trophies back!!
Kratz

So far 15 pieces have been returned to the hunters with a huge help from Tom Matuska. It has been a success, if you still have a deer from this taxidermist please contact me so I can hopefully help.

I stumbled across this by accident. I know the Gonnermans. I'm suffering from a terminal disease. I shot a very nice 10 point with my flintlock in 2012, my last hunt. Rich wanted to mount it and I couldn't afford it. They went and contacted friends that helped donate the form eyes ECT. While they did the work. It turned out beautiful, score of 168. It's on my wall now. They did that out of kindness and respect for how I hunt. I was out of work. The Gonnermans took a chance & tried to make it in a tough business. To proud to say they need help. I'm glad you got your mount back I know it wasn't intended to get like that. Also they defended me against all the talk that I didn't shoot it on my land. I took it 150 feet from my door. Thanks to Rich and Amber for everything. I have a hell of a mount on a deer of a lifetime nice way to end my hunting.

Top Bottom