Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

TC omega question

Hillwalker

i have about a 10 year old tc omega. Shoots great. I use 2 pellets 777 and a 250 grain shockwave w/sabot. My question is. Is it normal to have to push very hard on the rod to seed that sabot. I have marked my rod years ago when it was full seeded. Now I have to tap the rod with some thing to get it to the seed mark. I even run a brush through it between shots. I have to push on rod very hard to get it down to bottom mark. Or can I leave it about 1 inch off.

I have the same setup and I'm having a hard time with some 250 shock waves. Super hard to push down.

Yes, the first push after a super clean barrel is better. But still difficult. I wonder if the make a thinner sabot. Or is there another pellet powder that don’t build up as bad???

Same thing happens with my Encore. Using pellets, I have to clean between every shot. May be able to get two shots but can definitely feel that crud ring from the pellets when trying to reload. Hopefully I will just need one shot to get the job done.

I have 45 Encore and I could not get the shock wave with their sabot to load even with a clean barrel without almost using a hammer!. I switched to Barnes and use the easy load sabots from Harvester, and switched from 777 pellets to blackhorn when it came out. 1st shot loads and shoots the same as the 15th shot with no cleaning.

Does that mean Blackhorn makes the pellet firm. If so I am unable to find it. Sounds like worth trying though. Maybe for next year as I’d have to resight things in. Thx for help

Does that mean Blackhorn makes the pellet firm. If so I am unable to find it. Sounds like worth trying though. Maybe for next year as I’d have to resight things in. Thx for help
No. Its loose powder. Pellets are held together by a binder (think glue). From what I understand this is part of why using pellets makes things hard to load on followup shots. Personally, I am a big fan of blackhorn if shooting blackpowder.

Ok, I think I’ll go that way next year. But heard another stupid question. If I use loose and you have bore butter in the barrel would the powder cling to it. And what would be equivalent to 2 pellets. 90 grain??

I wouldn't use bore butter with a loose powder. You will fall in love with blackhorn as well as soon as you begin using it. The 15 extra seconds it takes to measure your charge vs. pulling pellets out of the box is well worth the time and you will save an enormous amount of time on cleaning afterwards. I usually site mine in during shotgun season and won't do a full clean until after late muzzy. I do run a dry bore snake through after every shot but that's only because my gun shoots best with a clean barrel. Most people I know that shoot blackhorn can just shoot and reload, shoot and reload without losing accuracy. Volumetrically, 120 grains of blackhorn equals 150 grains of 777. So that would convert to 80 grains of blackhorn equals 100 grains of 777.

TC barrels , well older ones like we have seem to have a tighter tolerance compared to other ML's. Shockwaves are the same as SST's made by Hornady which I used the SST's for awhile with harvester sabots, but i think the Barnes are just are better when it comes to performance on a deer. I didn't like loose powder either, but I carry several speed loaders that hold the powder in one section and the bullet/sabot in the other and are pretty quick to reload. The breech plug in your Omega will work fine with blackhorn, just need to make sure to use either Federal or CCI Mag primers. Also just use gun solvent for cleanup versus hot soapy water.

Blackhorn's website says a flash hole that is .03-.035 inches is sufficient for igniting blackhorn. You should be fine unless you drilled a really big hole in yours. I will echo iowavf's thoughts and highly suggest using Barnes rather than shockwaves. The Barnes expander TEZ is made for a tighter bore and all of the barnes bullets perform fantastic. I know people (myself included) have had issues with SST's (same bullet as the shockwave) not expanding on impact.

Measure Blackhorn by weight , not volume. When I did volume ,it was very inconsistent. Had a tendency to
Settle differently every time when I was measuring it out.
For me 80 grns by weight and 290 grn
Barnes TEZ are money. Out of a CVA Accura.
As stated above, you will love the blackhorn 209. Good luck.
FYI I believe full charge of blackhorn 209 is 84 grns by weight.

i have about a 10 year old tc omega. Shoots great. I use 2 pellets 777 and a 250 grain shockwave w/sabot. My question is. Is it normal to have to push very hard on the rod to seed that sabot. I have marked my rod years ago when it was full seeded. Now I have to tap the rod with some thing to get it to the seed mark. I even run a brush through it between shots. I have to push on rod very hard to get it down to bottom mark. Or can I leave it about 1 inch off.

To answer your first question... No it's not normal to have to push that hard IF the rifle is clean. Unless you are talking follow ups or 2nd or 3rd shots with no cleaning.

To answer your second question... NO, don't leave it 1" out. Make sure that the bullet is fully seated.

I've shot my Omega since 2004. When you put it up for the off season, lube the barrel with bore butter. When you clean it, really focus on the breach and make sure you are getting all of the fouling off there.

Top Bottom