Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The deer keep smelling me!!!!

J

jason

I don't know whats wrong. I try hard to eliminate my scent, and anyother scent, but it's not working. I keep all my stuff in a plastic container. I only wear my stuff while im hunting. Now, I'm keeping my boots in a plastic bag, and putting my coveralls in a plastic bag, and in the plastic container. I spray all my clothes down with H.S scent away, i wear H.S scent waffers, and I wash them im H.S detergent frequently.
Every thing is sealed good, and only worn in the field, but it's still not helping!
I've never had this problem until this season. I have to play the wind now, or if I don't, im busted!
Has any of you guys ever had this problem were u just can't seem to eliminate the odors?
Thanks, and good hunting

Jason

I think you should always hunt spots with the understanding you are going to bust anything that is downwind of your stand. Period. You are going to give up anything coming from that direction. Every stand is like this. Sometimes you can get lucky and have thermals go over the top of the deer, but I never plan that. You've got to pick your stand based on the favorable wind, that's all.

I've tried everything and they will smell you no matter what. They will smell where you step even with cover scent. You can cover it to a point but that's all.

Many swear by these scent lock suits and I respect that. But what covers up their breath smell? Did you ever smell most people's breath? You think a deer can't smell that?

Just play the wind and give up the direction where you hope the deer will not cross.

Buy scent -lok i swear buy it.. never been busted yet... nock on wood!! i my self try not to use cover sents, if the sent is not natural to your hunting area the deer are going to know something is up. ?? mybe im wrong but it works for me.. good luck!

scent lok has a face mask that draws tight to your face . i know human breath is one of the biggest give aways to scent and i think it works well.

jason i keep my clothes in my garage in a metal cabinet. there are 2 gas cans beside the cabinet , a truck and 2 mowers in there also. i 've not been been busted this year by a deer but i do spray a natural cover scent when i get in the stand. probably just dumb luck ,i think the wind is the key, and having a stand not to low . just my 2 cent's worth

you said that you use sent wafers sometimes when you use a sent that they are not familar with they will bust you and somesents are better than others i like no sent or natrual type sent llike if im hunting in a pasture ill step in cow dung oand if im hunting bottom land i will rub dirt thats in the area on me and idont get busted anymore also becareful of your stand placement dont put it in valleys where the wind can swirl or in the open where they can easily spot your movement

Jason, I know what you are talking about. Several times in a row, no matter where I sat, the deer would come in from the 'wrong' direction, and get my scent. I am very careful to eliminate odor, and I do not use cover scents. Still, I got the famous pause, head bob, stomp and snort . . . time after time. As the season went on, not much changed, except the deer were coming where they were supposed to come. I still would like to try the scent lock suit next year. I saw that Bass Pro had them for $69 for the jacket, and the same price for the pants. Hmmmm . . . and Christmas is coming soon.

I do try to play the wind alot, but it seems it swirls around, changing dirrection all the time.
I have a wind indcator, I use it often, and the talc in it blows a different way almost every time I use it.
Yester day, after I got busted, I climbed down from my stand, and went back in the timber about 60 yards, east from where the deer have been coming out. I had a small buck and two doe's walk right by me, about 20 yards. One doe got in at 7 yards! But after they walked , (they walked to my left), up wind from me, it didn't take long before the small buck knew something wasn't right. It was the second time yesterday, deer have smelled me, and the fourth time the hole weekend. it's been like this the hole season. The only time I've gotten close to big bucks was when the wind was out of the south. And that was only twice. All the other times, I hear deer weeze, or see them walk stiff leged quickly a way form me.
What if i hung my clothes (and anything fabric) out for a while, will that get rid of odors for a bit?

Jason

Jason, This is probably a stupid thing to ask but, do you take a scent eliminating or I guess I should say "scent reducing" shower before you hunt? I would assume you do since you wash all your gear in H.S. Scent detergent. Anyway, it makes all the difference in the world of whitetail noses!

Jason, are you having fun while you are out there? That is the real issue.

Part of our problem is I think we have a lot more deer to deal with this year and they have graced us with some great activity. If you see them smell you, then you are not doing bad. Most will not give you that option if you stink too bad
grin.gif

I do not take any scent controlling measures except placing a few stands to hunt particular places depending on wind direction and then during the rut I just go where the action is because they don't always read the books.
I pump gas in my camo etc....

I have been busted a number of times this year also, but I have still managed to get an excellent number of deer including several mature bucks well within shooting range without their awareness of me. I don't worry too much about it as long as I do not notice a major change in the deer behavior.

If trying different things helps you enjoy the hunt, then great. But it should be fun
wavey.gif
and not a full time job that takes fun away.

Happy Thanksgiving, we have much to be thankful for.

I've always wondered about drying clothes in the dryer. Wouldn't the clothes pick up any scent from the previous load? Especially with using a regular dryer sheet? I started using the H.S. earth-scent dryer sheets with my hunting clothes. Don't know if they make a difference, but couldn't hurt. For breath smells, I eat an apple as I walk to my stand.

Clothes are the the easy things to control. Are you wearing all rubber boots? Also, the human body is the one I think most of us skimp on. Scent lok has a great head mask that helps. Try to only breath out of your nose. Also, if you can stand the dry skin; from the first of October until my season is over, every shower I take is with scent a way soap, and all my clothes, not just hunting gear are washed in scent away detergent. If it is your body or it will be touching your body, it has to be scent free. Can't be to careful.

TWO THINGS I THINK GUYS OFTEN FORGET ABOUT....
1. TOWELS....AFTER YOU WASH WITH ALL SCENT ELIMINATING AGENTS DO YOU TAKE A TIDE WASHED TOWEL AND RUB YOUR BODY AND HAIR VIGOURSLY????? WASH TOWELS WITH YOUR HUNTING CLOTHES AND SOAP.
2. DOES YOUR TRUCK SMELL LIKE HORSE DUNG? PUT PLASTIC OR ANOTHER SCENT FREE COVERING OVER YOUR SEATS AND KEEP IT CLEAN.

I ALSO GARGLE WITH BAKING SODA....PRETTY DISGUSTING BUT I THINK IT HELPS WITH MOUTH ODER....ALSO DON'T HAVE A GARLIC OR ONION LACE SNACK B4 YOU HEAD OUT...SO ON AND SO FORTH

You cannot totally eliminate human odor, but you can do a lot to minimize what will put a deer on notice. I agree that sometimes the commercial cover scents get a little strong. I continue to use coon urine and am happy with the results. I also like the HS dryer sheets and I will store my clothes in a bag of leaves the same as the areas I hunt. I did not used to believe in putting stands higher, but have gradually gone up to 18-20+ ft and it seems to have worked. You still have to play the wind though and have multiple set-ups based on wind direction.

I do wear rubber boots. They are about a year old, but they still kinda have the rubber smell to them. I never dry my clothes in the dryer, I always hang them up to air dry. H.S does make dryer sheets though tha smell like dirt!
I don't use any H.S soaps. I was going to, but when I went to fin&feather to get some, they were all out. But deffinetly am going to get the hole scent eliminating products next year. You know what H.S makes. The box with all the stuff you need. Sprays, shampoos, dryer sheets, towles, and a scent lock bag to put all of your clothes in. Hopefully that does the trick, and no big boys smell me!

Jason

OK fellas,Heres what I do.Rubber boots are a must.Try not to touch anything when going in the timber.Play the wind in your favor.I believe these deer are going to smell you no matter what you do.Example:I'm a painter and after spraying oil base paint all day there is No way to get rid of that odor.So,I play the wind and most times I win.I have also many times,put my cigarette out to kill deer.So,In my oppinion,you don't have to buy your deer.Leave the sent stuff at the store.And get a portable tree climber stand so you can move with the wind to your favor.Good luck.

Lucky for me I don't stink. I run regularly and me running clother don't even have a noticable smell a day after running. Wierd? maybe.
I killed the "buck of a life time" this year after calling it from down wind where it stood bedded for 20 minutes.
I shower before I hunt. I'll skip other things to make the time for it. I use Ivory (99.44/100th % pure
wink.gif
)
Rackaddict & canjo mentioned breath. I do not breath through my mouth when a deer is around. I use regular mouth wash. Rubber boots. A big tote box for my gear & clothing. All the usual stuff. I would'nt think of pumping gas or entering a resturaunt!
I would guess you are over looking a piece of gear or dragging to much No-see-em scent into the woods.
I found the glove on my release was stinky after all the dirt sweat and skin oil from years of use.

All thing aside..... THIS WILL WORK...
Deer Sence "the scent that smokes" is sold by Cabela's (I see another imitator is also sold) This stuff has sucked in more deer than any other scent I've tried. (7 in one burn) It is strong stuff! It provides great cover. You could hunt with a load in your pants and not get busted! (I've never had a buck older than 2 1/2 come in to it. Lot's of does)
www.deerquest.com

jason, first off I have to ask you. When you are getting busted what are the deers reaction. Do you see tails in the air and deer running at mach 2 for the next county? If not you may be getting seen. In my experience if a deer smells you the hunt is over they do not wait around to see what they are smelling. They already know. but if they see you in your stand and can't identify what yoou are they may make the dreded snort sound. They may stay there to see what you are.

As far as scent "elimination" good luck. I don't think there is such a thing. there are many things on the market that may help tone down human scent but i don't think you will ever be totaly scent free. So I think it is a must to play the wind.

good luck and good hunting
Kory

The only time deer smell me is if there about 60 yards or closer. I've noticed that if there over that yardage, they don't notice.
When they smell the, they're not really sure what they smell, they start to walk stiff leged, and weeze. They never take off running, they usually walk quickly away. I always stick around after a deer moves out. Other deer eventually come in. Even if there is multiple deer there, and only one smell me, the other deer stick around, but there on alert, they just gradually move away.
I looked at the weather, and for tomorrow, the wind is going to be blowing east, which for me is horrable. I'll probably be ground hunting again.

Jason

Top Bottom