Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The Octane Buck

Liv4Rut

Well it looks like my vacation has ended before it started. The evening before I set up in an alfalfa field that was crawling with deer. Ended up seeing a big 8pt and the buck I shot tonight. I actually passed up the buck I shot tonight yesterday as I thought I was going to get a shot at the Big 8 pter but it never happened.

I snapped a picture of the buck after he walked by at 30 yards with my phone through my binos.
982-g2_buck.jpg

I noticed that all the bucks were going through the skinniest part at the top of the field so I figured if the wind was right I would head there tonight. I had a pine tree that has just amazing cover in front of it. I was only 2 LW sticks high but there is no way a deer could see me.

I got all set up and settled in around 2pm. About the time I started hearing obnoxiously loud music. There were a bunch of guys working on something about 500 yards away. The music was louder than I would normally play in my head set. I could hear them hooting and hollering and dropping F bombs like it was going out of style. Naturally I was irrate. Figured I wouldn't see a deer at all. On the bright side they were listening to Octane on Sirius XM which happens to be my favorite station.

So there I am just singing away to every song they played since it is all I listen to and I noticed a few does down in the bottom of the field. Over time I had a few does come out in front of me. This one doe in particular came right over by me and fed in front of me at 15-20 yards for the next hour and a half. I just knew the first big buck out would walk right to her.

A little later goes on and a lone doe steps out into the field in front of me. Right behind her was the buck I shot. He hit the field and headed right for my doe in front of me. He came in grunting and got behind her lip curling. Naturally he stopped in the only place I couldn't shoot. He sat there about 5 minutes feeding and twice he perked up and looked my way as if something was up.

I was sure he was going to wind me. The wind was a little dicey where I was at as occasionally it roll into into the field when it got calm. He finally took those last couple steps and I smoked him at 15 yards. I was shocked to see my arrow didn't blow right through him. Never had that happen before but I hit the offiside shoulder and it was a 2 inch 3 blade.

The buck roared at the hit and I could see blood just pouring out of him. He ran about 50 yards across the fields and into the timber where I could see he was starting to go down and then the crash. I was positive he was going down but I always second guess everything. i waited a little while and packed all my stuff up and went over and checked him out. He busted a bit of his right side G3 when he fell.

This is the first buck I have ever shot while listening to music. It was kind of nice actually. It is also the 100th deer I have killed and was glad it was a buck.

982-2012_buck_resized.jpg

Way to go Liv. Sounds like he went down a lot easier than last years buck if I remember right? He's a good one btw!

Top Bottom