Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Trace Mineral

EatSleepHunt

Any thoughts on using a trace mineral instead of trophy rock or something
similar. Basically the same minerals just a little more of some in the trace mineral block.

Trophy rocks are getting pretty expensive I think, i use dicalcium phosphate, trace mineral, crushed salt and dried molasses, works pretty good and can be bought much cheaper

They are expensive. I bought a trophy rock on a clearance and a trace mineral block.
I am going to put a camera on them and do a side by side comparison. I had been using the 4 play block. (To much money)

I only use trace mineral blok...I did the same a few years ago, tried several different blocks.. and by far, a simple trace mineral was preffered in the areas I used them

Trophy rocks are getting pretty expensive I think, i use dicalcium phosphate, trace mineral, crushed salt and dried molasses, works pretty good and can be bought much cheaper

I just purchased 5 of them from Gander Mountain. Right Now, they have a deal you buy more than 3 then you get them at $12.99 and free shipping on order over $50. Then, add on the coupon for $5 discount (GMT5) and my grand total for 5 blocks was $59.95 shipped!

In my opinion, that is a pretty good deal for what they are being sold for and shipped for at other sites.

skyleralan said:
I just purchased 5 of them from Gander Mountain. Right Now, they have a deal you buy more than 3 then you get them at $12.99 and free shipping on order over $50. Then, add on the coupon for $5 discount (GMT5) and my grand total for 5 blocks was $59.95 shipped!

In my opinion, that is a pretty good deal for what they are being sold for and shipped for at other sites.

That's not a bad price and trophy rocks do work good, but I can purchase 200 pounds of the mix I mentioned for around 50 bucks from MFA, this mix is just my preference

That's not a bad price and trophy rocks do work good, but I can purchase 200 pounds of the mix I mentioned for around 50 bucks from MFA, this mix is just my preference

Yeah, by all means I just wanted to give a shout out to everyone and let them know if they were interested in Trophy Rocks that was the best prices I have found.

I just buy whatever 40lb block has the most calcium, protein, and phosphorous. Can usually get them for less than $10.. Going to mix my own stuff this year.. With the blocks I usually pour some buck jam apple on them and the deer start hitting them right away and continue in into August/ September

Last edited:
I bought a bag of cattle grazer minerals & a bag of American stockman fine rock salt & mixed them.is that a good mix?It seemed to have good percentages of magnesium phosphorus & calcium.,

One thing you can look at for cheap salt pellets is the 50lb bags of water softener salt. I used to mix that corn, and buck jam together. Slowly, I would put less and less corn in it. Was pretty cheap, but messy.

Here is my mix

Stock Salt (1) - It has the sodium to attract deer to the minerals. Most mineral mixes have salt as their
most abundant ingredient since a mix of just phosphorus, calcium, and other trace minerals have little
attraction to deer once mixed with the soil.

Trace Mineral (2) - Trace mineral salts do two things for deer. The first and foremost is it does have
the salt/sodium to attract the deer and promote the use of the mineral. Secondly, it provides the trace
minerals such as magnesium and potassium that are very important to herd health but are not found in
significant quantities like others.

Di-Calcium Phosphate(1)- It promotes feed digestion, weight gain, and milk production, which is
obviously beneficial to a lactating doe deer. Dicalcium phosphate contains roughly between 18 and 21
percent phosphorus and 19 to 23 percent calcium.Hardened antlers contain 40 to 50 percent organic
matter from mostly proteins while the most abundant minerals consist of calcium and phosphorus.
In addition, a lactating doe's milk contains high percentages of both calcium and phosphorus to pass on
to their young, also causing a significant mineral drain on the doe. What makes all this significant is the
fact that phosphorous cannot be synthesized by the body so it must be provided in needed levels in the
animals diet. This is where a mineral mix such as this could be very valuable if an area is lacking in these
naturally.

3-pound coffee can to measure out 1 part dicalcium phoshate, 2 parts trace mineral salt, and 1 part
stock salt. Mix all these together once ready to use but keep components separate during storage. Dig a
hole in the soil about 36 inches wide and 6 inches deep and mix the mineral well with the soil.

Ingredients: Makes 200 lbs. for about $23.00 – prices might need to be updated

1 part Di-calcium phosphate, this is a dairy feed additive bought at feed stores.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $11.00 you need one bag.

2 parts Trace mineral salt, the red and loos kind without the medications.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $5.00 you need two bags.

1 part Stock salt, ice cream salt.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $2.00 you need one bag.

I split this up into two or three sites

Top Bottom